ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft Ui16 vs Behringer XAir  (Read 45137 times)

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
Re: Soundcraft Ui16 vs Behringer XAir
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2015, 03:03:46 PM »

Dave,
There's plenty of low cost touch screen monitors available that can be mounted. Here's one similar to the monitor I have rack mounted in a case.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-21-5-led-hd-touch-screen-monitor-black/9196102.p?id=1219002586460&

Bob,

The "Width = 20.6 inches" would seem too wide to mount in a rack.  Seeing as how "doorbuster" tablets can be had for under $50 - I've been hoping to find a mid-sized touchscreen for under $200 (go ahead - call me cheap  ;D ).

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

James Paul

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2015, 06:24:35 PM »

Now Behringer and Soundcraft have the XAir and Ui digital mixers respectively and I am very intrigued by them.
For live sound, I am thinking I might replace the MixWiz.
I've followed some of the discussion about the X32 and wondering if the same level of performance has been seen by others for the XAir, and if anyone has used the Soundcraft units.

Of the 3 digital options you are inquiring about, my subjective opinion here is best choice as a replacement for your MixWiz in your described scenario could be an X32 (Rack) and don`t look back. An X-Air could be a next best, but I for one am not a fan of the seemingly disjoined user interfaces of the iOS, Android & PC apps. Furthermore I wouldn`t even consider the Soundcraft UI units as exist in the current state of design and manufacture. Tis a shame about the SC UIs, as on paper they do appeal via spec sheet and marketing as a viable option in their market segment, though I am doubtful of their ability of ready for prime-time duties.

The X32 series offers a majority of end-user positive time tested results, proven  HW/SW design & manufacture, in a choice of hardware formats & software user interfaces, and the ability to expand and interface within the X32 ecosystem if and when necessary.

Brian Jones

• Modesto, CA
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2015, 11:45:27 PM »

The UI16 has some really neat features.  It can play an MP3 which the XR18 can't, and it has a feedback suppression plug-in built into it (which may come in some future firmware to the XR18 as well).

Unfortunately, the Ui16 also has some serious issues.  Not only does the WiFi have stability issues (reported by many even when using a good external router), but it also has re-connection issues which compound the problem.

The preamps in the Ui are flawed by design.  If you are an EE and you look at the ckt you will notice that they are using a general purpose chip for the ckt that is inferior to the preamps in most digital consoles today (including the XR18).  This ckt in combination with the fact that they rely on their signal ground being routed through the speaker ground connection results in an audible hiss.  This hiss gets much worse if you use phantom power on any microphone.

Do yourself a favor and either buy the XR18, or wait until Soundcraft comes out with a new hardware revision to fix the design issues with the current device.

It's a shame really.  Aside from these issues, the Ui-16 is an outstanding little mixer.

This information about the mic inputs really makes my mind up for me assuming nobody refutes it. One of the main rasons for me to go with this unit is to get better mic channels than on the DJ controller I've decided on -- the Denon Mc6000 MkII.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2015, 01:38:49 AM »

The Internet has many claims and refutations of the mic preamp problem.
My friend with a UI16 had wi fi problems initially which were caused by a missing pin on the antenna. This was rectified by Soundcraft quite quickly.

EDIT:  It looks like I might have a UI16 to play with soon.  My friend who has one, actually has two.  I won't take it out anywhere but will have a good run through its features at home.

Steve.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 06:40:09 AM by Steve M Smith »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2015, 08:07:21 AM »

Bob,

The "Width = 20.6 inches" would seem too wide to mount in a rack.  Seeing as how "doorbuster" tablets can be had for under $50 - I've been hoping to find a mid-sized touchscreen for under $200 (go ahead - call me cheap  ;D ).

Dave

Mine is located BEHIND the rails and attached to the top of a 4U drawer using Velcro. Measure the screen size edge to edge and the case size inside to make sure you have clearance and you'll be all set. There's a lot to be said for a larger screen, especially when you get older.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2015, 01:44:34 PM »

The Internet has many claims and refutations of the mic preamp problem.
My friend with a UI16 had wi fi problems initially which were caused by a missing pin on the antenna. This was rectified by Soundcraft quite quickly.

EDIT:  It looks like I might have a UI16 to play with soon.  My friend who has one, actually has two.  I won't take it out anywhere but will have a good run through its features at home.

Steve.

Looks pretty clear here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/live-sound/1002062-anyone-get-soundcraft-ui16-yet-44.html

The same poster also did some scope traces that show the same thing.  If you read the entire (very long) thread, there are some work arounds for some of the problems .... but still, I think it would be better if the noise issues were simply not in the design.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2015, 03:13:21 PM »

I tell most folks that the Behringer XR18 is what you get when a MixWiz and an X32 mate and produce offspring.  You get the utility and scale of a MixWiz with a light version of the feature set and sound of an X32.  The XR16 and others in the series mostly pare down inputs and features to hit a price point. 

Maybe the XR18 is different, but the noise level of the XR12 is horrible.  As in, I bought it, used it once, and won't likely be using it again.  The iPad app is crap and very difficult to navigate. The built in WIFI is pretty much useless.

I had planned this for a portable rig with my wireless receivers, but the noise level coming out of the mixer meant I had to turn the gains back on my amps by 15db just to get them quiet enough for a boardroom setting.  While there is plenty gain left for this application, the fact that the mixer is THAT noisy tells me that this is still the cheap Behringer junk from days gone by.  The X32 is still something pretty special.
Brian Jojade

Jay Marr

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2015, 04:13:54 PM »

Maybe the XR18 is different, but the noise level of the XR12 is horrible.  As in, I bought it, used it once, and won't likely be using it again.  The iPad app is crap and very difficult to navigate. The built in WIFI is pretty much useless.

I had planned this for a portable rig with my wireless receivers, but the noise level coming out of the mixer meant I had to turn the gains back on my amps by 15db just to get them quiet enough for a boardroom setting.  While there is plenty gain left for this application, the fact that the mixer is THAT noisy tells me that this is still the cheap Behringer junk from days gone by.  The X32 is still something pretty special.

I have both the X-rack and an XR-18.
I don't notice really any noise.  No more/less than the X-Rack.  I would have your XR-12 checked out, because it sounds like something is wrong with it.

Agreed the X-Air iPad app does not compare to the X32 app.....but the X-Air Droid app is very similar to the X32 app.
When I bought the X-Air I almost returned it because I hated the iPad app....but bought a cheap Droid tablet and that app saved me from returning it.

The WiFi is really poor.  Works perfectly at home....but get into a crowded room full of cell phones and then you will get drops constantly (unless you scan to find the channel with the lowest traffic).  Instead I just bought a used Airport Extreme 5th Gen off of eBay for $50.  Way worth it.  Never have a drop now.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2015, 04:13:54 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 26 queries.