ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft Ui16 vs Behringer XAir  (Read 44926 times)

Brian Jones

• Modesto, CA
Soundcraft Ui16 vs Behringer XAir
« on: November 25, 2015, 01:30:15 AM »

I'm in the process of deciding on a revamped DJ setup and also do some light duty live sound gigs which are mostly spoken word but with some musical performances mixed in.

I have a MixWiz3 16:2 and really like it but when looking to add processing like compression and gating, I began to like the idea of a digital desk.

Now Behringer and Soundcraft have the XAir and Ui digital mixers respectively and I am very intrigued by them.

I could use them for my DJ rig to get good mic inputs and provide PA processing.

For live sound, I am thinking I might replace the MixWiz.

I've seen a live sound production for a classic rock cover band that used the XAir 16 to good effect. The engineer said his only complaint for the XAir was its weak wifi signal but it was easy for him to use an external wifi router to get the range he needed to have the mixer on stage, and perform FOH using a laptop. At this gig he was about 50-65 feet from the stage.

I've followed some of the discussion about the X32 and wondering if the same level of performance has been seen by others for the XAir, and if anyone has used the Soundcraft units. Or maybe just observations about feature differences you may have noticed? Are there any other manufacturers making similar form factor units that I have missed?

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
Re: Soundcraft Ui16 vs Behringer XAir
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 09:44:18 AM »

I tell most folks that the Behringer XR18 is what you get when a MixWiz and an X32 mate and produce offspring.  You get the utility and scale of a MixWiz with a light version of the feature set and sound of an X32.  The XR16 and others in the series mostly pare down inputs and features to hit a price point. 

Yes, the built-in Wifi on the Xair series is a dreadful misstep.  Use a quality external router and never look back.  I typically have a hard-wired laptop and an Android tablet on WiFi for most shows.  Just did 40 punk bands in a three-day festival using this combo!

The most direct equivalent to the Ui16 would be the XR18, which I both own and operate at local venues.  I looked at the Ui series and while it has some solid features, I went with the Xair XR18 because it gave me more usable inputs.  The Ui16 has only 12 XLR inputs + a stereo input (How they get '16' out of this is a mystery); the XR16 has 8 XLR ins, 8 TRS ins.  The XR18 has 16 XLR/TRS combo ins and a stereo input. 

I suggest trying the interface to each and see which suits your style and needs.  While I have and use the XR18, what I have seen on the Ui series makes me think either will suit your needs.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 09:57:03 AM »

The most direct equivalent to the Ui16 would be the XR18

I don't understand why Soundcraft don't make a version with 16 XLR inputs to compete with the XR18.

Currently, the UK price for a UI16 is £450 and an XR18 is £600.  If Soundcraft could add four XLR inputs for an extra £100, I think they would take a lot of the XR18 business from Behringer.

Steve.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 10:40:53 AM »

I don't understand why Soundcraft don't make a version with 16 XLR inputs to compete with the XR18.

The Ui series just hit the market a couple of months ago.  I have no access behind the Harman Curtain, but would expect future releases to expand this sort of capability.

To the OP, I've only worked with the Ui16, but I like it a lot - for what it does and how much it costs.  If it meets your needs, take one for a spin.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 10:46:06 AM »

Currently, the UK price for a UI16 is £450 and an XR18 is £600.  If Soundcraft could add four XLR inputs for an extra £100, I think they would take a lot of the XR18 business from Behringer.

Steve.

I agree 100%, especially with the those that hold disdain for anything Behringer.  Had my experience with the X32 not been so positive, I would have probably gone Ui16 personally just because it has Soundcraft behind it.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 11:08:46 AM »

In the USA, I think the price is the same for both products.  As a retailer (I'm also an event services provider), it makes the Ui16 a tough sale to anyone who isn't an absolute Behringer hater.  Four more inputs and two more aux outs are a big plus.

As with the X32, for both my use and my sales to customers, the Behringer digital products have been very good with almost universal acceptance . . . after the initial hesitation from buyers who had previous problems with Behringer gear. 

Steve M Smith

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 11:15:50 AM »

I am going to buy one or the other.  It will probably be the Behringer unless Soundcraft make a UI24 (name based on the U-Mix product which Soundcraft bought the rights to).

When I have left comments such as "how about a UI24?" on Soundcraft's Facebook page, I get a "what's that?" reply.  As if no one else has ever asked!

Generally, I am not one for gear snobbery and I'm sure the Behringer is fine.

I currently use one of the little Soundcraft EPM12 mixers, so 12 XLR channels would replicate what I already have.  I really would like a few more channels and a bit of a choice though.

Steve.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 11:22:34 AM by Steve M Smith »

John Chiara

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 11:16:38 AM »

The Behringer has all the FX plugins from the X32 which I think are great and very useful in doing a higher level pro mix IMO. I use X 32 and X 32 racks and have grown to love the extra effect capability. Compressor and EQ models that actually have character.

John L Nobile

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 11:22:48 AM »

I'm curious about the Ui16. Is it made by Soundcraft or is it a product made by someone else that Soundcraft put their name on? Kinda like what Xerox does with their printers.

Steve M Smith

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 11:31:08 AM »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 11:31:08 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 26 queries.