ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cable trough built into the floor  (Read 3817 times)

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
Cable trough built into the floor
« on: November 24, 2015, 03:21:15 PM »

We are designing a new platform and I am looking at options for moving audio and AC around

I have seen platforms with a ditch, or trough built into the floor. It is covered with removable panels covered with the same carpet as the floor. Wiremold with AC outlets is installed on a vertical side of the trough and audio cables lay in it. Cables can be brought out anywhere along it's length through little "mouse holes" cut into the removable covers.

I am envisioning something like this but for floor stiffness and strength, having the top removable for about one foot every 3 feet or so. Sections could still be lifted up for cable access and a person could get cables between openings easily when something new is needed. I thought of having 6ch sub snake heads laying in there at the openings we use.

Is anyone using a system like this? How do you like it?

Thanks
Not to Code

Clayton Ganzer

Re: Cable trough built into the floor
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 09:41:04 PM »

Many years ago someone at my church suggested this, so we did it. At first I thought it was the best thing ever. After some time it became a real pain.
If a cable was bad people would leave it in there and just run a new one. Cables would get tangled up. Trash would accumulate in them.
Now days I have a stage box (if you're digital) or a sub snake on each side of the stage. Which ever one you are closer to that's where you run your cable. All cables follow the same basic path, and it still looks clean.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 08:46:06 AM »

Well - computer server room floor systems are one way to do This.  When I spec new control rooms and the cable feed is from below, I try to always put in the server style floor.  I've never seen it on a stage...  Many stages have a trough along the front edge.  It used to be for lighting footlights but often gets cables in it now.  It also always quickly fills with trash and debris and requires maintenance.  I find if your cable management game is strong, it is mostly not needed to keep things looking clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 03:04:00 PM »

I wasn't a huge fan of the only stage I've worked on that had that setup (and I was just helping out at one event, not a regular user) but that had more to do with the lids being 8' long and the pits being 18" deep--just looked like a nasty fall waiting to happen.
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 03:04:00 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.