ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft Expression 3 question  (Read 4116 times)

Dustin Coval

Soundcraft Expression 3 question
« on: November 21, 2015, 12:32:49 PM »

First..I'm new to running Live sound & test driving the digital world, so take it easy on me.       Anyways i have a question on the Expression 3.   My drummer wants a headphone feed basically paralleled with the Main stereo out.  (He's currently simply using the headphone jack in the front, but I need the headphones at FOH for my own use)   I'm guessing there's a way to utilize Mix13-14 XLR outputs to do this?   or they can be set to Post fader outs as a bus?

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Soundcraft Expression 3 question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 03:03:19 PM »

You can mirror the outs from the LR bus by selecting a second output routing in the outputs menu.
You can patch it anywhere, outputs 13,14 are available.
Giving him his own stereo monitor mix is probably a better idea, as it won't change as you mix FOH.
SC pretty much lets you route anything to anywhere, one of my favorite things about them.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 04:01:14 PM »

As above, or create a sub mix using mix 1-14 selecting the channels you want him to hear.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Michael Grimaila

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 03:11:45 PM »

As above, or create a sub mix using mix 1-14 selecting the channels you want him to hear.

Also remember that Mix 1-8 are mono only and that Mixes 9-14 are capable of mono or stereo depending on how you configure them.  I would recommend stereo for headphones or IEMs as it allows you to reduce the overall volume while still hearing each element of the mix.  You can pan the drummers vocals to center and the other performers slightly to the left and right. Same with instruments.  Works very well.... 

Now if SC could only update their software to fix bugs and offer additional applications for performers, I would be happy. 
Behringer X32 / X32 Rack
Soundcraft Si Expression 3 / Soundcraft Mini Stage Box 32 / Soundcraft MADI USB & Dual CAT5 & Dual Optical MADI cards
6 x Sennheiser EW300 G3 / Sennheiser EW572 G3 / Sennheiser EW365 G3 / Sennheiser EW352 G3
2 x Yamaha DSR115 / 2 x QSC KW 118

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 04:27:50 PM »

I'd like the iPhone monitor mix app, but what bugs are you running into that you want fixed?  Running 1.7 on my Ex2 and not running into anything.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 09:32:41 PM »

Same here. No issues at all.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Michael Grimaila

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 01:53:05 PM »

I'd like the iPhone monitor mix app, but what bugs are you running into that you want fixed?  Running 1.7 on my Ex2 and not running into anything.

- Incorrect inputs listed when using a stage box. On layer A, input 9-16 comes up labeled as input 1-8
- When soloing a stereo matrix, only the left channel will be on both sides of the headphones
- Mute groups state not remembered on power down
- Soloing a mix does not include the graphic EQ processing on the mix
- Unable to turn off a muted channel (pressing the ON button unmutes)
- Show files occasionally becoming corrupted

Don't get me wrong, I love my Expression 3.   None of these are show stoppers and I can work around them.

However, Soundcraft's application development is way behind the competition's.  For example, 1) The lack of VISI Live (on any platform), 2) the lack of updates to VISI Remote and ability to run on other platforms, and 3) the lack of updates to the Offline Editor  and ability to run on other platforms are problematic.

Michael

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 01:57:47 PM by Michael Grimaila »
Behringer X32 / X32 Rack
Soundcraft Si Expression 3 / Soundcraft Mini Stage Box 32 / Soundcraft MADI USB & Dual CAT5 & Dual Optical MADI cards
6 x Sennheiser EW300 G3 / Sennheiser EW572 G3 / Sennheiser EW365 G3 / Sennheiser EW352 G3
2 x Yamaha DSR115 / 2 x QSC KW 118

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 01:53:05 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 20 queries.