ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Too many hands in the cookie jar?  (Read 7210 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Too many hands in the cookie jar?
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 07:58:19 AM »

Discaimer...I do not attend church...however...
I am somewhat baffled by the fact that church services have tuned into a "show" and seem to rely more and more on technical support.
It's not the same as a theatrical production where the audience pays to watch a show.
Is it not a venue for the "word" to be spread and people to feel community spirit? Sure, it should be fun and engaging but it seems like all this technology and associated "show control" problems are getting in the way of the original point.
But hey, what do I know ;-)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 08:12:23 AM »

I am somewhat baffled by the fact that church services have tuned into a "show" and seem to rely more and more on technical support.
It's not the same as a theatrical production where the audience pays to watch a show.
Is it not a venue for the "word" to be spread and people to feel community spirit? Sure, it should be fun and engaging but it seems like all this technology and associated "show control" problems are getting in the way of the original point.

I also do not attend church, however we have two churches in our venues every Sunday...

Both use technology to communicate with their parishioners in a way that feels comfortable
For them.  They are very different services, and styles of worship and full production for each,  I've never felt from either group that the technology was excessive or anything but supportive in communicating the word they wanted to share...

I suppose I'm saying, it can happen, I'm sure some churches can and do get distracted, but for the most part - it hasn't been my experience. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 09:47:59 AM »

I think any form or art or technology has the potential to add to the storytelling or distract from it depending on how it's used and incorporated into everything else in the service.

I'm sure that at various points in church history, people raised similar objections about the choirs, stained glass windows, paintings, organs, and sculpture that we now take for granted as being part of the church experience in many places rather than a "show".
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 10:02:45 AM »

I think any form or art or technology has the potential to add to the storytelling or distract from it depending on how it's used and incorporated into everything else in the service.

I'm sure that at various points in church history, people raised similar objections about the choirs, stained glass windows, paintings, organs, and sculpture that we now take for granted as being part of the church experience in many places rather than a "show".
I can definately see the use of tech to enhance the experience. That's not an issue.
However, when the situation outlined in the OP are happening, it seems the whole point of the gathering is getting lost in the opperational problems.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 01:26:22 PM »

We have discussed this with our pastors and we have a plan. We strive to have a level of tech that makes the tech invisible.   BTW we do the same for the building, the restrooms, the rugs, the parking lot ETC.

The goal is that when a visitor leaves the service they don't talk about any of the above.  They talk and think about God, the worship experience, the people, and the teaching.

If they can't hear or the sound is bad we are not invisible.
If the words are shown using a overhead projector, that is not invisible.
At the other extreme, if we have lighting right out of "Dancing with the stars"  120dB music, and I-mag of the guitar players finger action that is not invisible.

We need to be at the level of tech they are accustomed to, but not way above or below.

The goal is to keep them coming back until they realize there need for Christ and accept him as there personal Savior.

A secondary goal is to keep them coming back after that to help the church help others to know Christ.

If the audio and video are at the invisible.  The pew is comfortable, the temperature is right, and they have a pager so they know there baby is OK then they keep coming back.   

Once they have become Christians and grown a bit, then they can get uncomfortable, and work on inner city or African short term missions, or really give themselves and join the tech team. (Grin)

Not to Code

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 01:39:45 PM »

I can definately see the use of tech to enhance the experience. That's not an issue.
However, when the situation outlined in the OP are happening, it seems the whole point of the gathering is getting lost in the opperational problems.

I have been very much involved on the inside of media in a church running around 400.  We have also been through a generational transition in pastors-resulting in an obvious shift in the use of sound and media-the overhead projector is replaced with video and Keynote. And given the ease of use, is probably used more.  Much of what the OP is asking about is invisible to most of the congregation.  However, when you approach church with the philosophy "God's business is the greatest business, so it should be run like the greatest business" coupled with the fact that if the pastor is in charge of the service and how it is conducted, but he is also on the platform it brings a different set of challenges than when you have a producer/director off stage that can adjust as he desires.

I agree that harmony should prevail as church media team members work together-but those of us that attend church or no better than those that don't (and sometimes worse!) so we have to deal with politics and personalities as well.  It takes time and experience to get all the pieces to work together smoothly so that tech does not detract-some of those pieces are equipment related and some are people related.
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 01:39:45 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.