ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: wireless audio transmision to delay powered speakers  (Read 7395 times)

Nick Houweling

wireless audio transmision to delay powered speakers
« on: November 14, 2015, 11:37:43 PM »

what is the best way to send a wireless line level signal from FOH mix position to mains amplifiers or powered delay speakers. I have occasion with corporate events where only wireless mics are used and I don't want to run a multicore just to the mains left and right channels of the speaker amps. I could possibly use IEM transmitter receiver units, but I'm not sure the receiver would drive a large enough signal to the amps. I've looked at AV transceivers but some have an input sensitivity as low as -80db which would be very difficult to have a line level signal attenuate down to. Plus they seem awfully cheap?? So anyone care to share their experience with unit that can do this succesfully?
Thanks in advance Nick H

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: wireless audio transmision to delay powered speakers
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 11:53:36 PM »

what is the best way to send a wireless line level signal from FOH mix position to mains amplifiers or powered delay speakers. I have occasion with corporate events where only wireless mics are used and I don't want to run a multicore just to the mains left and right channels of the speaker amps. I could possibly use IEM transmitter receiver units, but I'm not sure the receiver would drive a large enough signal to the amps. I've looked at AV transceivers but some have an input sensitivity as low as -80db which would be very difficult to have a line level signal attenuate down to. Plus they seem awfully cheap?? So anyone care to share their experience with unit that can do this succesfully?
Thanks in advance Nick H

The short answer is IEM transmitters and wireless mic receivers - specific Shure and Sennheiser units can be used in this manner.  Try doing a search as the topic has come up several times (and kind of recently).  There are some good suggestions in those threads.

Also we have a forum here dedicated to wireless technologies and applications.  You can have a moderator move your post to that forum if you like, you may get more traction there.

Welcome to the forums.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 01:00:47 AM »

To add the third brand, I have had no problem doing this with audio technica iems into qsc k's.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Nick Houweling

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 06:26:46 AM »

To add the third brand, I have had no problem doing this with audio technica iems into qsc k's.

Thanks but I need line level out to the input of my power amp also which only accepts line level  as in +4db for maximum power.
Cheers Nick H
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 01:11:46 PM by Mac Kerr »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 07:33:26 AM »

So just use a small mix pad at the power amp to boost the signal if adjusting the amp input sensitivity isn't enough.  We all use IEM's for this and if you can't figure out how this all works, hire help.

I have used the output from Sennheiser IEM directly into power amps for passive speakers with no problems...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 11:27:52 AM »

Thanks but I need line level out to the input of my power amp also which only accepts line level  as in +4db for maximum power.
Cheers Nick H

I think you will find that the headphone output of an iem beltpack has all the level you need.
Or use a wireless mic receiver at the power amp end and set it's output to line level.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 01:12:11 PM by Mac Kerr »

Uniz Kazz

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 08:43:43 AM »

I personally haven't tried them yet but Alto Professional Stealth Pro is one I've had my eye on for a while, maybe look their way, also doesn't cost as much as the Sure and Senn transmitters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scott Helmke

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 11:39:56 AM »

"Headphone" level is basically the same as line level. It'll work.

Shawn Keck

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 01:04:01 PM »

I do this all the time with Sennheiser IEM system, but not the beltpacks. I use the rack mount IEM transmitter with a paddle antenna on the output and a standard rack mount receiver on the speaker side with another pair of paddles. Works great.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 07:53:52 PM »

I do this all the time with Sennheiser IEM system, but not the beltpacks. I use the rack mount IEM transmitter with a paddle antenna on the output and a standard rack mount receiver on the speaker side with another pair of paddles. Works great.

I know that Shure has a 'Mode' that you put the units in to do this with  a PSM900/1000 and a UHFR receiver.  With the Sennheiser, do you just set the transmitter to Mono and away you go?  or is there some other trick?
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 07:53:52 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.