ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Screen print for road case  (Read 6763 times)

John J Saunders

• John J Saunders
Screen print for road case
« on: October 20, 2015, 07:57:43 PM »

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I have searched and nothing seems to come up. 

I am building some custom cases for a few video production consoles and I want to screen print a logo on the case.  I can't seem to find anyone locally that can do this so I figured what the hell it can't be that hard....

I have found a place the will burn a custom screen for like $50 but I can't seem to find what kind of ink to use.  The case is being built out of a new honey comb flight panel by penn elcom and it has a ABS laminate just like most wood based cases. 

So I guess my question is has anyone had any experience having this done or doing it themselves? If so any tips, tricks or recommendations you could pass along would be greatly appreciated!
John Saunders

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Screen print for road case
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 10:11:52 PM »

Regular spray paint works fairly well for stencils. Not sure how well it would work for screen printing though.

No matter what, it does end up to get scraped and scuffed.  Instead of screen printing, I've switched to using weatherproof half sheet avery labels.  Easy to print in a laser printer, and they slap on any case. If it gets worn, simply peel it off and replace.  Sometimes less is more.
Brian Jojade

Jeff Pitt

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 11:39:33 PM »

Go to your local sign shop, and have them cut you out a stencil in a thin PVC or Mylar sheet of the logo or info you want on the case.  Order some stencil ink, a foam roller, and an ink pad.  Amazon or Uline are great sources for these items.  We use the Rolmark brand of products and have had great success for years.  I encourage you to also purchase the Stencil Ink Remover.  You will screw up.  Practice on cardboard as it can take a little time to manage the right amount of ink and such.  Stay away from Spray Paint and Brushes.  You can't manage the overspray underneath the stencil like you can manage ink on a roller.  Good luck.       

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 01:39:17 AM »

So I guess my question is has anyone had any experience having this done or doing it themselves? If so any tips, tricks or recommendations you could pass along would be greatly appreciated!
We bought a screen printing kit form our local art supply shop, and just use the "speedy" brand screen printing ink. I found the white to be a little too stark, so I darkened it down with a little bit of black. Works like a charm, but does take a little practice.
The trickiest part is getting the screen correct with the photoemulsion. Make sure you get the emulsion remover, because it may take a couple tries to get it right. once it's right, it works for a long, long time. Our stencil is a few years old and has done dozens of cases.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 01:42:55 AM by boburtz »

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 01:41:54 AM »

Make sure you get the emulsion remover, because it may take a couple tries to get it right.

Household bleach will remove most emulsion.

Steve.

John J Saunders

• John J Saunders
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 11:23:01 AM »

We bought a screen printing kit form our local art supply shop, and just use the "speedy" brand screen printing ink. I found the white to be a little too stark, so I darkened it down with a little bit of black. Works like a charm, but does take a little practice.
The trickiest part is getting the screen correct with the photoemulsion. Make sure you get the emulsion remover, because it may take a couple tries to get it right. once it's right, it works for a long, long time. Our stencil is a few years old and has done dozens of cases.
Thanks for the info!  I am gonna get my screen made from a place I found online.  I will look for that ink.  I also wouldn't have thought about the white being to bright so I will get some black as well.
John Saunders

John J Saunders

• John J Saunders
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 10:22:50 PM »

I wanted to follow up and let everyone know how it turned out. 

I ended up purchasing a custom burned screen online and it worked out great.  I got the standard speedball ink and mixed in a bit of black to tone the white down.  This was great advice and saved me some time and stress for sure.  It took a while for the ink to fully dry (2 days) but it was cold out(40-60 degrees) and since the cases were a plastic lightweight honeycomb flight panel I couldn't hit it with the heatgun because it buckles.  I did a few test pieces and then dove in and it seemed to all work well, although I did mess one up and have to scrub it off and do it again  :(  I'm sure I could spend a bunch of time perfecting my technique with how much pressure to apply and how much ink to use but all in all I was happy with the results.

Thanks again for all the advice!
John Saunders

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 01:22:34 AM »

Thank you for the follow-up report.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 01:22:34 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 22 queries.