ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor Mixer for Broadway Touring Show  (Read 2483 times)

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Monitor Mixer for Broadway Touring Show
« on: October 13, 2015, 07:38:49 PM »

Hi all!

A little while ago, I was working as local crew on a touring Broadway production. I noticed that, in addition to the SD7 at FOH, there was also an SD10 in ampland, and I couldn't quite figure out what it was there for, since all of the on-stage/off-stage/backstage monitors seemed to be receiving feeds from FOH, and the pit band all had Aviom units. I'm guessing that the SD10 was feeding the Aviom system, but given the SD7's pretty impressive specs I don't understand why the Avioms weren't just fed from FOH with everything else. Obviously they know something I don't, and I'd like to learn.  :)

Does anyone know why they decided to go with a separate monitor console?

Thanks!

-Russ

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Monitor Mixer for Broadway Touring Show
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 07:42:21 PM »

Hi all!

A little while ago, I was working as local crew on a touring Broadway production. I noticed that, in addition to the SD7 at FOH, there was also an SD10 in ampland, and I couldn't quite figure out what it was there for, since all of the on-stage/off-stage/backstage monitors seemed to be receiving feeds from FOH, and the pit band all had Aviom units. I'm guessing that the SD10 was feeding the Aviom system, but given the SD7's pretty impressive specs I don't understand why the Avioms weren't just fed from FOH with everything else. Obviously they know something I don't, and I'd like to learn.  :)

Does anyone know why they decided to go with a separate monitor console?

Thanks!

-Russ

Sounds like Rock of Ages...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 07:43:13 PM »

Sounds like Rock of Ages...

Book of Mormon, oddly.

-Russ

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 08:15:56 PM »

Book of Mormon, oddly.

-Russ

"I'll take '4 Syllable Musicals' for $1000, Alex!"

They're here next month.

Who is the sound designer for the tour?  There's a decent chance he/she participates in the google group dedicated to "theatre-sound-list" (hint).

Since I've not been involved with the show I'll only say that there are a lot more IEMs in use in theater than there used to be and more backstage technicians are getting feeds than ever before.  And uning DigiCo, having another console on-line is a very good idea.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 08:23:19 PM »

Who is the sound designer for the tour?  There's a decent chance he/she participates in the google group dedicated to "theatre-sound-list" (hint).

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of what appears to be a pretty amazing resource!

Since I've not been involved with the show I'll only say that there are a lot more IEMs in use in theater than there used to be and more backstage technicians are getting feeds than ever before.  And uning DigiCo, having another console on-line is a very good idea.

I was sort of wondering about it acting as a "spare"; it seemed like everything else in that rig had a back-up of some kind.

Thanks!

-Russ

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 08:59:55 PM »

Brian Ronan designed the original B'way production, so I assume he is also responsible for the tours. While he may read it, I have not seen Brian posting on the theater sound list. As on odd coincidence, Brian and I got into the IA together in 1987. He eventually left local 353 to join local 1, and maybe the designers local.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 08:59:55 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.