ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Airfader O1v96 control  (Read 6975 times)

Douglas R. Allen

Airfader O1v96 control
« on: October 12, 2015, 06:09:36 AM »

Although I've used Studio Manager for wireless control of my O1v96 it never really was setup by Yamaha for doing monitors. I wished for better meters as well. Looked at Airfader years ago and it had no O1v96 support. I was looking around and found they have it now.   

http://www.airfader.com/faq_info.html?faqs_id=22&fcPath=5

With a 30 day free demo I gave it a try.
I have an old Colby Netbook that hadn't been turned on in years so I took the midi/usb drivers off my Studio Manager cd and installed them on a usb thumb drive.
Followed the instructions in Studio Manager to install them. You need to have these installed in order for Airfader to work.

Because the O1v96 only supports USB/midi control you do need Airfader running on a USB connected netbook/tablet/laptop and a wireless router connected to that. Then setup a server for your android/ipad/windows device.

http://www.airfader.com/server-guide-ezp-8.html

I set the USB drivers in the desks to send/receive on channel to 1 and it connected right away. This is the same settings I use in Studio Manager. I'd say it takes about 2 seconds to connect.

The Windows program supports just about everything on the desk. The meters are underneath the fader channel strip and are easy to see.  The meter follows the settings on the desk pre/post fade.  The android app is a little limited at this time but does include eq and pan , phase etc. It has a 6 segment meter per channel just to the left of each fader. I didn't have a lot of time to check out the whole system but it was stable and easy to setup.
My plan is to have the Netbook/router at the desk at first and use the tablet to setup monitors and walk the room. If everything works well then a larger system at the mix position. I'll use a USB to Cat5 usb extender and have the desk on stage with the computer/router at the mix position. This will give me a hard wired connection for a larger laptop and still wireless for the room

Still taking it for a test drive but so far so good.

Douglas R. Allen
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 04:31:36 PM by Douglas R. Allen »

Christian Güssmer

• www.guessmer.de
Re: Airfader O1v96 control
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 04:19:19 PM »

I have been using Airfader (licensed) for quite some time now every now and then with LS9 and M7... had an 01V96i some weeks ago and was happy to see it now being supported. First connection was easy and fine, but later I had to find out, that syncing does not work. So when I start Airfader and it connects it did not sync with the console. I could remotely control, but Airfader did not get the current state... so back to StudioManager.

Did try to contact the developer twice, whether this is specific to the newer "i" model, but did not get any reply.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 07:42:11 PM »

I have been using Airfader (licensed) for quite some time now every now and then with LS9 and M7... had an 01V96i some weeks ago and was happy to see it now being supported. First connection was easy and fine, but later I had to find out, that syncing does not work. So when I start Airfader and it connects it did not sync with the console. I could remotely control, but Airfader did not get the current state... so back to StudioManager.

Did try to contact the developer twice, whether this is specific to the newer "i" model, but did not get any reply.

Did you set up a static IP address? Your IP address could of changed. Check it to see if it has.

http://www.airfader.com/server-guide-ezp-8.html?zenid=d7c615dbc76e6082bf983fcd53cbe49b

Douglas R. Allen

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 07:43:40 PM »

Adam frequents the forum, and is a real good guy at that. I am sure he will be in contact with you shortly.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Adam Ellsworth

• AirFader
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 09:51:50 PM »

had an 01V96i some weeks ago and was happy to see it now being supported. First connection was easy and fine, but later I had to find out, that syncing does not work. So when I start Airfader and it connects it did not sync with the console. I could remotely control, but Airfader did not get the current state.

First, sorry for missing your email, I was going to research the problem to see if it's an easy fix or not. I do not have an 01V96i for testing but it must be a minimal difference if the individual controls work fine but sync does not. I will see if the Yamaha docs indicate a difference. So if you move a fader on the console it updates in AirFader and vice-versa... just not the initial status, correct?

This spring I put a LOT of time into AirFader, and then I ran into my busy festival season before I could finish up for release. So the good news is an updated android client is nearly complete. It is almost completely rewritten, much better graphics and user interface, and adds Dynamics controls. There are many things I want to do so I have a hard time calling a release "finished". Once I get the new android client out, I'm hoping to get into a pattern of frequent, smaller updates.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 05:37:56 AM »

First, sorry for missing your email, I was going to research the problem to see if it's an easy fix or not. I do not have an 01V96i for testing but it must be a minimal difference if the individual controls work fine but sync does not. I will see if the Yamaha docs indicate a difference. So if you move a fader on the console it updates in AirFader and vice-versa... just not the initial status, correct?

This spring I put a LOT of time into AirFader, and then I ran into my busy festival season before I could finish up for release. So the good news is an updated android client is nearly complete. It is almost completely rewritten, much better graphics and user interface, and adds Dynamics controls. There are many things I want to do so I have a hard time calling a release "finished". Once I get the new android client out, I'm hoping to get into a pattern of frequent, smaller updates.

Adam;

Note sure if this will help you or not but tried something last night. I have the first generation V. Set everything up and had sync as normal. Set all faders on the V to 0 db. Faders moved to 0 db on airfader. Disconnected and moved all faders on the V all the way down but not on Airfader. Reconnected and faders on V stayed all the way down. Faders on Airfader stayed at 0db.
Moved a fader just a little on Airfader and channel jumped up on the V. Moved a different fader on the V and it fought a little then the fader in Airfader jumped down.

I'm guessing should a person loose sync in Airfader that its best to close the App before reconnecting to the desk? I wish I would have tried it but was pressed for time. My father has been in the hospital and its been a busy week.

Something I'd like to see someday. With Studio Manager if you go to the Master faders layer the V will change to master faders layer as well. In your app if on faders 1-8 and select Master faders you can control them but the desk stays on the 1-16 layer. The same thing happens for the other layers as well.

I really like the app and look forward to the dynamic's to be added. I am still in the demo mode. Can demo mode be upgraded as these improvements are added?

Douglas R. Allen

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 11:56:16 AM »

Still taking it for a test drive but so far so good.

Hands down my favorite GUI for remote mixer control. He did a great job thinking this through.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 11:17:28 AM »

Had some time this morning to test some more.

I found if I turned the "meters" tab on in the netbook or laptop I was connected to at the time it caused problems. Lost sync and "bad connection" showed. Had to reinstall the usb drivers in my laptop to correct the problems. At this time, at least for me, its best not to turn this meter section on.

The Meters when in a channels processing window program works great on the windows program and are spot on. Using this full screen is fantastic for setting gates , compressor , or eq. This feature helps in checking input gain as well . (Prefade/eq selected on the desk) The first yellow is above -18dfs. Right on the money. The meters in viewing a channels processing seem to be not connected to the "Meter" button on the home screen. The "Follow Channel Select" option in this window is fantastic as well. I believe this metering will get me buy fine until the app is completed.

I still found "fader errors" when comparing Aux sends or even channel layers from time to time. No reason could I find for this. Just one fader at random would be in a different spot compared to one another. Different faders at any given time. Sometimes this would happen. Other times not.

One thing that I struggled with at first was I'd go to the sends on fader layer and Aux 6 did not show up.  Come to find out I had Aux 5 and Aux 6 linked. Any linked Aux's show up as 1 mix or Aux send. Guess it makes sense but I didn't catch it over at the Airfader site. The link was Aux 6 to 5 on the desk. I'm guessing if the link was Aux 5 to Aux 6 then only Aux 6 would show up. Didn't have time to check.

If I recalled a scene on the 01v96 it wouldn't transfer to AirFader. I had to re-sync to get going again. Even when recalling a scene in AirFader it would change in the V but not in Airfader..

Overall I'm still happy with what is available even now. There is a lot of 01v96 users that have been waiting for this!  Get the sync issues out of the way and things will be great.
Now if there was a way to recall effects programs... :-)

Douglas R. Allen

« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 12:01:29 PM by Douglas R. Allen »

Christian Güssmer

• www.guessmer.de
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 05:39:57 AM »

Yes that is right, remote control did work in both directions, just the initial sync did not happen. The PC had a static IP but as this a USB connection I doubt there is an meaning to it. What perhaps might be worth looking at is that the 01Vi needs a different USB driver from Steinberg because of the included audio interface capabilities.

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 05:39:22 AM »

My 01V96 is my backup/real small gig mixer, as such I abandoned it's VNC wireless/tablet setup - moved to the QU series. Ive gone back and installed Airfader using a Thinkpad as the server and an ipad as the remote for the 01V96.  I now use the same ipad and router for both the 01V96 and the QU setups.

Much simpler setup, big improvement over Studio Manager,  great job on this Adam, its brought my 01V96 back to life. Excellent program!

:D
Mike

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 05:39:22 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.