ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Noise Decibel Levels Governing Events  (Read 8973 times)

Jacob Shaw

Re: Noise Decibel Levels Governing Events
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 02:15:15 AM »

Noise ordinances always pertain to amplification, and usually there is a statute that says the amplification has to be 10db over ambient noise at the boundary before before you are in violation.  I would expect such an agreement to be subject to the same guidelines.  I would get it amended.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 02:41:33 AM »

Noise ordinances always pertain to amplification,

No.  Ever heard a bagpipe band?

and usually there is a statute that says the amplification has to be 10db over ambient noise at the boundary before before you are in violation

No.  More often than not they are based not on any base line, but either arbitrary or punitive figures designed strictly to try not to offend tax-paying neighbors or bill-paying clients.

I would expect such an agreement to be subject to the same guidelines.  I would get it amended.

In your dreams.  You've obviously never had to work in a place like that and deal with the long chains of management between the guy charged with enforcement and the top suits who initiate policy.

I really am having a hard time not calling BS on the above.  Anybody else want to?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 07:29:56 AM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 02:46:26 AM »

I really am having a hard time not calling BS on the above.  Anybody else want to?
I can't comment on what it might be in the US, but in England, noise nuisance is subjective.  There is no dB level over which it is deemed to be nuisance.

Steve.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 07:33:38 AM by Steve M Smith »

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2015, 07:32:30 AM »

While most of you know me here as a sound provider this time its actually my band performing. The event is Sat in Cincinnati and this was just sprung on me. I am a completely reasonable guy and would love to raise a fuss about it but realistically what is to be accomplished here? At this point it's too late to change the event so I'm going to sign the thing and do my best to keep levels within what they feel is reasonable. It's not a legal agreement and doesn't hold ME responsible for anything (only the client if things get out of hand) but if it were MY multi-thousand dollar event I'd have a lot more to say about it.

I was amused by 1) the layman's attempt to impose some kind of quantitative restrictions without knowing fully how the scale works or properly defining the parameters and 2) the impossibly unachievable and arbitrarily low numbers.

I can't imagine that anybody wants the event to go poorly or is going to be standing there with a meter and a gun at my head. We will play and if they say it's too loud we will play softer. I can be passive/aggressive with the best of them. And if the party suffers because it's TOO soft, well, I want to make my client happy but if the hotel ties my hands I would say the beef is with the hotel.

I'm surprised (or maybe I'm not given my experience with hotel management) that such a high-end place wouldn't have a better approach than this. Everybody understands what is trying to be achieved here but it's a 'people' problem more than a 'technical' problem and my experience is that hotel management is usually lacking on the 'people' side and therefore trying to compensate with a 'technical' solution. It raises my hackles and leaves me with an extremely poor impression.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2015, 07:48:43 AM »

Robert...

If you get a chance and can do it without stressing the management, see if you can get them to say WHERE the measurement is to be taken.  You can gain a bit of headroom if you go light on the subs and de-couple them from the floor.  It's more often that the rhythmic thump is what offends as it is more difficult to contain within the room.

And Steve is right.  The nuisance factor is likely to be subjectively perceived and enforced.  There will be no science involved.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 08:00:45 AM »

Ask for the latest calibration certificate for the meter to be used and the training records for the person doing the measurement to insure an accurate reading.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 08:05:24 AM »

Ask for the latest calibration certificate for the meter to be used and the training records for the person doing the measurement to insure an accurate reading.

That's always good for a laugh!

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2015, 08:24:42 AM »

That's always good for a laugh!

You will most likely get the "what the hell you talking about" look. Followed by, "It's new, We just got this from Radio Shack and the guy showed us how to use it."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2015, 08:30:07 AM »

You will most likely get the "what the hell you talking about" look. Followed by, "It's new, We just got this from Radio Shack and the guy showed us how to use it."

http://youtu.be/ofIhpf5unwQ

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2015, 08:32:36 AM »

Just because you are in control of the sound board, doesn't mean you are always in control of the volume.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2015, 08:32:36 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.