ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless line level  (Read 2818 times)

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
Wireless line level
« on: October 08, 2015, 09:56:29 AM »

I'm sure this has been discussed a zillion times, but my search skills are failing me.

I'm looking at ways to wirelessly transmit a balanced, line level audio source from a mobile cart into a fixed installation. Must be cheaper than Shure P9T-to-UR4+. I'm not a fan of Bluetooth for this purpose. The application is a High School gym.

I'd appreciate either suggestions or a link to previous threads. Thanks
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Jordan Wolf

Re: Wireless line level
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 10:39:38 PM »

The PSM->UHF-R setup is pretty bulletproof; you can also look into Lectrosonics and Sennheiser versions.

For near-zero latency, nothing beats analog transmission.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Lee Richard

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 02:15:43 AM »

On a tight budget, microh makes a decent system. For about $400 you can get the transmitter and receiver

It's actually not too terrible. Used them a bunch for speaker on stick delays/vip areas, etc.

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 02:35:40 AM »

You can use about any wireless beltpack and receiver to point to point transmission. You just have to make sure not to overdrive the transmitter so you'll likely need an external pad in the line.

As someone posted there is virtually no latency if you go analog. However you'll likely benefit from latency and the addition of even more. Digital will certainly sound better and will not shift frequency response as the input level shifts. Also most digital schemes do not add a compander so you can avoid that whole nightmare.
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 02:54:06 AM »

...you'll likely benefit from latency and the addition of even more. Digital will certainly sound better and will not shift frequency response as the input level shifts. Also most digital schemes do not add a compander so you can avoid that whole nightmare.
Don has good points (duh, of course he would). Lack of companding/artifacts and full bandwidth audio are really nice things to have for full-range playback.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 07:18:02 AM »

A typical HS Gym = Acoustic Toilet.

It may sound like heresy, but a little bit 'o latency can be be your friend with open-mic sources.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 08:40:35 PM »

You can use about any wireless beltpack and receiver to point to point transmission. You just have to make sure not to overdrive the transmitter so you'll likely need an external pad in the line.

As someone posted there is virtually no latency if you go analog. However you'll likely benefit from latency and the addition of even more. Digital will certainly sound better and will not shift frequency response as the input level shifts. Also most digital schemes do not add a compander so you can avoid that whole nightmare.

I use a Shure ULX belt pack with the battery eliminator mounted on a mic stand. If the receiver is not too far, I just use the supplied antenna (I sometime gaff tape it to the top of a speaker) and if further away, a paddle.

It can work well to simply get through a wall with no available openings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 05:56:35 PM »

I did a fair with several satellites. 
I used a Sennheiser 300 in-ear transmitter to a Sennheiser mic receiver at each satelite.
Worked great.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 05:56:35 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 26 queries.