ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound Guy Gets Blamed Again  (Read 10246 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Re: Sound Guy Gets Blamed Again
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2015, 10:29:53 PM »

Our pastor is fond of using devices.  One of the first times several years ago he handed me his phone with a song to play for invitation.  Of course it locked while he was preaching-not a convenient time to ask him for the code.  The best part of the situation was the look on his face when I told him (truthfully) that I had guessed his passcode on the first try.

More recently, I was to play a backing track for our missions conference.  Several members had taken a trip to Tanzania and learned a song in Swahili so we decided to use it with track they used even though that is not something we normally do.  At mic check all I had was the song on a phone-but managed to get a backup CD made.  I was inclined to use the CD , but pastor was paranoid about doing something different than practiced so I did what he wanted.  Sure enough, without disconnecting/changing anything from mic check, when I hit play the slider moved-but no sound was sent to the board.  Still don't know why-after about 3 seconds I started the CD.  Too many ways a phone can fail, IMO.
Steve Swaffer

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2015, 02:39:06 AM »

I have a CD player that can be programmed to play a single track (or multiple selected tracks in a specific order) then stop. It's very useful.
I have a Panasonic player which will play tracks in sequence but one at a time every time the play button is pressed.  I modified it with a socket for a footswitch when a friend borrowed it to perform a show with backing tracks.

Unfortunately, it stopped working last month.  Piece of junk, it was only 25 years old.  They don't make things to last any more!

Steve.

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2015, 06:34:06 AM »

Our pastor is fond of using devices.  One of the first times several years ago he handed me his phone with a song to play for invitation.  Of course it locked while he was preaching-not a convenient time to ask him for the code.  The best part of the situation was the look on his face when I told him (truthfully) that I had guessed his passcode on the first try.

666 ?  ;)

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2015, 11:20:18 AM »

Dance studios are terrible.  Even if they give you a CD the levels and SQ are all over the map on each track.  One is a booming EDM track and the next is a big band dubbed off a cassette.  And they always seem to be mixed up on which track is which.  Or as people have said, they try to give you a phone and say play the next track when I give you the cue.  Agreed, you only have to go through this a couple of times and it becomes, your phone/laptop/CD - you play it.
That's going to be my policy now.

At a recent festival with primarily dance groups, found in addition to the stupid lock out after about every 15 seconds (with the pass code a word that requires looking up the numbers while dancers stare at you), also found that several phones would not even respond to my finger touch on the screen, but would work when my girlfriend hit "play".

At least I had no miscues with my 10 year old CD player...

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2015, 11:31:02 AM »

At least I had no miscues with my 10 year old CD player...

Give it another fifteen years...

Steve.

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2015, 01:37:09 PM »

After a couple bad experiences using other peoples devices for playback I just hand them a Rapco 1/8" to XLR interface so they can operate their own tracks, or if it HAS to be done from FOH they can provide their own operator (Mom/Dad/brother/friend/dealer, whatever).
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Monte Anderson

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2015, 12:57:16 AM »

The best part of the situation was the look on his face when I told him (truthfully) that I had guessed his passcode on the first try.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2015, 11:02:59 PM »

And don't push this button!!!  :o

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2015, 12:04:31 AM »

Can anyone ID the model of speakers show there?!?
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2015, 09:24:05 AM »

And don't push this button!!!  :o

I've always wondered: was it his last day because he used the suck knob? or did he use the suck knob because it was his last day?

Jason

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2015, 09:24:05 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.