ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound Guy Gets Blamed Again  (Read 10295 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: Sound Guy Gets Blamed Again
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 10:16:36 AM »

Why would a track with her vocal on even be available to play if she intended to sing live?

Steve.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 01:22:01 PM »

Why would a track with her vocal on even be available to play if she intended to sing live?

Steve.
My thought as well. ???
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 01:45:30 PM »

When I get an artist cd for playback there are usually several versions on that cd and they tell you what track to cue.

I always make sure to get that in writing ;-) One tiMe the artist brought the wron cd with him and was not discovered until actual performance 😁

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 01:48:51 PM »

When I get an artist cd for playback there are usually several versions on that cd and they tell you what track to cue.

I always make sure to get that in writing ;-) One tiMe the artist brought the wron cd with him and was not discovered until actual performance 😁
Right. Then I rip that track to my playback software and check with artist to be sure.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 05:13:38 PM »

I assume this is because they can't afford extra discs?

I wouldn't trust someone not on my personal payroll to get that right at least not at that level.  Too many ways to miscommunicate.
Steve Swaffer

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 08:01:13 PM »

I rip it as well...... For two reasons. One as backup, two for compatibility and pre checks. If you hand me a cd and say " this track " and I go to play that track and it's the wrong one, or the cd player doesn't like the cd, the jig is up. If I rip it, I can play it offline, confirm song titles and check for errors or playback problems.

I, being as professional as I can be. will swiftly delete the files from my computer. Two reasons for that. One I don't really care to have said artists backup tracks, as it does me no good and wastes space on my HD. Two........ If I am ever accused of leaking material, the information will be so long gone that when I suggest they take my computers to see for themselves, even the best puter sleuth there is will know and realize I never leaked it. 

Most of the time when in a situation like that, the manager or personal assistant will be there to direct if their own payrolled BE/SE is not there himself. I have had many an occasion where they show up with a cd and leave it........ Others have simply showed up with an iphone.......
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 01:33:39 AM »

Even at a lower level, people can get it right.  Last week I was at a stand up comedy event.  One of the acts was a visual comedian with a twenty minute backing track on CD.  He gave us two identical CDs with just the required track on them.

That's the correct way to do it.

I have also plugged in a comedian's i-phone at the stage so he can control it.  That's by far the easiest method!

Steve.

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 08:02:25 AM »

Even at a lower level, people can get it right.  Last week I was at a stand up comedy event.  One of the acts was a visual comedian with a twenty minute backing track on CD.  He gave us two identical CDs with just the required track on them.

That's the correct way to do it.

I have also plugged in a comedian's i-phone at the stage so he can control it.  That's by far the easiest method!

Steve.

One of our children's ministers is also a professional magician (http://davidgarrardmagic.com/ in case you ever provide sound for him -- great guy).

The music cues have to be exact on time to reinforce the trick.  He provides two copies of the audio on CD with a printed script of the cues, in order, by trick.  He also provides the walk in and walk out music and is specific about the levels -- he uses that to help set the energy level in the room. 

So yeah -- you can do it right at any level and be professional.  Don't be sloppy even if it is just a weekend sideline.
You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 01:31:36 PM »

Steve.
Guide track in the monitors?  Double the live vocals?  Artist has a cold and needs help on the high notes?  Or when dancing to involved choreography?  Lots of reasons.  Safety recordings are used at the Super Bowl and other events.  I think a lot of folks kind of expect it these days.  They're just there to "see" the show.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 01:31:36 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.