ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 8/3 SOOW and PowerCon  (Read 11519 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
8/3 SOOW and PowerCon
« on: October 03, 2015, 06:33:47 PM »

Hi all,

So the title says it all (sort of) - I'm trying to use PowerCon with 8/3 SOOW.  The problem that I know I'm going to run into is that 8/3 won't fit into the standard connectors such as the NAC3FCA.  12/3 of course works and 10/3 is okay with some fidgeting, but I know there is no way I can get 8/3 into this.  Does anyone have a suggestion on how to make this work?  I've seen that there are 32A connectors available as well as PowerCon TRUE...  Will either of these do the job?  I certainly don't need the 32A capacity that the high amperage connector offers, but since this will be a 100ft cable (120v, 15A) I don't want to use less than 8/3.  Any input is much appreciated!

-Jeff

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: 8/3 SOOW and PowerCon
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 07:47:52 PM »

You can't.  Not in any manner that will meet Code.  Hint: you're not allowed to modify the connnector nor are you allowed to remove wire conductive materials (you can't trim strands).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 07:53:29 PM »

but since this will be a 100ft cable (120v, 15A) I don't want to use less than 8/3.  Any input is much appreciated!

Can we assume this was meant as a joke?

Mac

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 07:53:38 PM »

Hi all,

So the title says it all (sort of) - I'm trying to use PowerCon with 8/3 SOOW.  The problem that I know I'm going to run into is that 8/3 won't fit into the standard connectors such as the NAC3FCA.  12/3 of course works and 10/3 is okay with some fidgeting, but I know there is no way I can get 8/3 into this.  Does anyone have a suggestion on how to make this work?  I've seen that there are 32A connectors available as well as PowerCon TRUE...  Will either of these do the job?  I certainly don't need the 32A capacity that the high amperage connector offers, but since this will be a 100ft cable (120v, 15A) I don't want to use less than 8/3.  Any input is much appreciated!

-Jeff

Why do you think you 8 gauge?

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 09:04:53 PM »

#10 wire with a 15 amp load gives about a 3% voltage loss-peak draws would be a bit worse so #10 would be OK but perhaps marginal.  If you really need 8 the best way would be powercons to edison or twistlocks with a short piece of 12 then use 8 for the distance.  Not ideal, but it would work.
Steve Swaffer

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 12:53:48 AM »

Can we assume this was meant as a joke?

Mac

Mac, would you be able to explain what is wrong by doing this?

#10 wire with a 15 amp load gives about a 3% voltage loss-peak draws would be a bit worse so #10 would be OK but perhaps marginal.  If you really need 8 the best way would be powercons to edison or twistlocks with a short piece of 12 then use 8 for the distance.  Not ideal, but it would work.

That's pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking but wasn't sure if it's permissible to use a jumper/adapter like that.  I agree that it's not ideal though, hence I'm trying to see what other options are available. 

Why do you think you 8 gauge?

This is primarily for use with lighting (and getting power into places with no nearby outlets), so I'll be pulling a decently high continuous current (not to mention inrush) and don't want to incur unacceptable voltage drop.

Thanks!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 11:22:10 AM »

Mac, would you be able to explain what is wrong by doing this?This is primarily for use with lighting (and getting power into places with no nearby outlets), so I'll be pulling a decently high continuous current (not to mention inrush) and don't want to incur unacceptable voltage drop.

I regularly run my whole front of house on 250' of #10/3 and have 115V at the end. I have in a pinch done the 250' run with #12 with no ill effects. Using #8 wire for a 100' run on a 15A outlet looks like a lot of extra work, weight, and expense for no payoff.

Mac

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 06:32:26 PM »

I regularly run my whole front of house on 250' of #10/3 and have 115V at the end. I have in a pinch done the 250' run with #12 with no ill effects. Using #8 wire for a 100' run on a 15A outlet looks like a lot of extra work, weight, and expense for no payoff.

Mac

Thanks for the explanation Mac.  Now, my understanding (which isn't great, hence I'm asking before doing) is more in line with what Stephen is saying - 10/3 could work but is marginal at 100ft with those current draws if I want to say within a 3% voltage drop.  From what I've gathered, the NEC allows a maximum of a 3% voltage drop on the main branch of a circuit at the farthest outlet of power, so if I'd like to be fully NEC compliant then 8/3 would really be the way to go, especially if the connectors I'm using are rated for a full 20A (and not 15 like a NEMA 5-15P).  Again, please correct me if I'm mistaken on any of this!  I just want to do this the right way even if it isn't the cheapest or most convenient. 

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 06:46:18 PM »

Thanks for the explanation Mac.  Now, my understanding (which isn't great, hence I'm asking before doing) is more in line with what Stephen is saying - 10/3 could work but is marginal at 100ft with those current draws if I want to say within a 3% voltage drop.  From what I've gathered, the NEC allows a maximum of a 3% voltage drop on the main branch of a circuit at the farthest outlet of power, so if I'd like to be fully NEC compliant then 8/3 would really be the way to go, especially if the connectors I'm using are rated for a full 20A (and not 15 like a NEMA 5-15P).  Again, please correct me if I'm mistaken on any of this!  I just want to do this the right way even if it isn't the cheapest or most convenient.

Listen to the people who've done this for years.  Rule of thumb for safe, practical use is 12/3 SO up to 100', 10/3 SO up to 150'.  Beyond that, get a generator and site it within a more practical distance.

I'd also suggest you use 20 amp circuits rather than 15.  If you can't get more than 15, investing in heavy, expensive cable is not the solution.  You need to sort out your power before that.

And I doubt that "NEC compliance" applies here...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 08:12:48 PM »

Mac, would you be able to explain what is wrong by doing this?

That's pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking but wasn't sure if it's permissible to use a jumper/adapter like that.  I agree that it's not ideal though, hence I'm trying to see what other options are available. 

This is primarily for use with lighting (and getting power into places with no nearby outlets), so I'll be pulling a decently high continuous current (not to mention inrush) and don't want to incur unacceptable voltage drop.

Thanks!

What kind of lights are you using? LED?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 08:12:48 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 25 queries.