ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Old topic, new question (DIY coax monitors)  (Read 5357 times)

Stan Shields

Old topic, new question (DIY coax monitors)
« on: October 03, 2015, 06:24:38 PM »

Anybody have any experience or opinions on this driver:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jbl-2152m-12-Inch-Coaxial-Speaker-/221885146149?hash=item33a962a425
for use as a stage monitor for vocals only?
Stan

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
Re: Old topic, new question (DIY coax monitors)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 10:27:19 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jbl-2152m-12-Inch-Coaxial-Speaker-/221885146149?hash=item33a962a425
Stan

The model number is 2152H (not m).  Those appear to be designed for intercom / paging systems.

https://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2152.pdf

Don't know how well they'd work in vocal monitors or other live music applications.  But, if you give them a try, please let us know.

Dave

...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 03:33:37 AM »

Made for metal enclosures and paging systems, rated at 150 watts. The "M" indicates impedance which I think will be 16 ohms. Call JBL for more info;
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 03:29:28 PM »

Stan
Stan,

The frequency and polar response look decent for a stage vocal monitor, and having a crossover already incorperated in the design eliminates the most difficult part of the DIY process.
Good sensitivity too, so you won't need a boatload of power.

Art

Stan Shields

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 03:38:15 PM »

Yeah, I agree. These were designed to live in a commercial "back can" which is essentially a small sealed box. Since I don't really care about extended bass response and I want the smallest box possible for portability sake, it seems like they might work pretty well. 90X90 is great for a monitor on small stages too.
Stan,

The frequency and polar response look decent for a stage vocal monitor, and having a crossover already incorperated in the design eliminates the most difficult part of the DIY process.
Good sensitivity too, so you won't need a boatload of power.

Art
spec sheet:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 11:35:51 AM by Stan Shields »

Stan Shields

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 11:21:53 AM »

OK, So I decided to build a couple of monitors using these drivers, found a pair for a great price, wish me luck, I'll let everyone know how it goes. Here's a broader question:
I'm mixing bands myself, doing mains and monitors from a Soundcraft Expression. Always limited setup time available. All I can do with the monitors is use the iPad from the stage and dial in a HP filter and use the 1/3rd oct. EQ to improve obvious EQ issues. Then I listen to the mix with headphones as the show progresses and make minor tweaks, try to head-off problems.
I know in the Pro world DSP that has been custom-tailored to a specific speaker/amp combination (often by the manufacturer) has become a vital tool in the quest for gain before feedback.
If I were to add a DriveRack or other DSP to my monitor rig how exactly would I go about dialing it in? How much improvement do you think I could realize? Is it worth the investment in time and $? Waddaya think?
Stan

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 12:01:35 PM »

OK, So I decided to build a couple of monitors using these drivers, found a pair for a great price, wish me luck, I'll let everyone know how it goes. Here's a broader question:
I'm mixing bands myself, doing mains and monitors from a Soundcraft Expression. Always limited setup time available. All I can do with the monitors is use the iPad from the stage and dial in a HP filter and use the 1/3rd oct. EQ to improve obvious EQ issues. Then I listen to the mix with headphones as the show progresses and make minor tweaks, try to head-off problems.
I know in the Pro world DSP that has been custom-tailored to a specific speaker/amp combination (often by the manufacturer) has become a vital tool in the quest for gain before feedback.
If I were to add a DriveRack or other DSP to my monitor rig how exactly would I go about dialing it in? How much improvement do you think I could realize? Is it worth the investment in time and $? Waddaya think?
Stan
Unless you have a measurement rig (SMAART, SysTune, etc.) AND the knowledge/experience to use it properly (and understand what all the information captured it telling you), I wouldn't bother. For simple gain before feedback tuning, a 1/3 octave graphic is passable, but the parametric EQ (which you have in your mixer) is a much better tool.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 12:27:25 PM »

Stan,
Unless you decide to bi-amp your monitors a DSP won't offer you much more, or anything more at this level than you already have built in to the Expression. Send each monitor to it's own output on the Expression and use the EQ, etc. for that output to tailor your sound. It's all described in the manual very well. In my case I have my monitors also routed to groups where I can select more me, less them, more them, less me, and overall monitor output.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Stan Shields

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 01:07:09 PM »

For simple gain before feedback tuning, a 1/3 octave graphic is passable, but the parametric EQ (which you have in your mixer) is a much better tool.

Thanks Scott, can you say some more about this?

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 01:40:59 PM »

For simple gain before feedback tuning, a 1/3 octave graphic is passable, but the parametric EQ (which you have in your mixer) is a much better tool.

Thanks Scott, can you say some more about this?
I'm not sure what else there is to say, but I'll try. A typical 1/3 octave graphic EQ doesn't offer much precision of adjustments, but has been used effectively for years. A fully parametric EQ is much more "surgical" in that it offers much more precise adjustments - in other words: you'll mess up less things trying to fix the one problem thing. Each output on your mixing desk should have parametric EQ available (although I haven't used that desk, so I can't say for sure). Maybe Bob can elaborate on the Soundcraft specifics?
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 01:40:59 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.