ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: RIDER freq response question  (Read 21999 times)

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
Re: RIDER freq response question
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2015, 02:28:04 PM »

But 20-20K does not make sense. I would love to know what "concert system" can actually produce that response-at least within normal -3dB points.

Especially at the far seats.

Nice "goal", but when was the last time the artist actually got a system that could do that???
Answer: probably never.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2015, 02:52:38 PM »

A)  I thought that unrealistic specs for the sound system were akin to the request for sorted M&Ms.  It gives band management some leverage legally if they find something else that they don't like.  Now, that said, I suspect that most managers and even many band sound dudes don't know what specs are reasonable so this legal thing might be a red herring. 

David Lee Roth has an interview on Youtube that covers the logistical & physical aspects of early-career touring Van Halen.  He claims the shows were bigger, weighed more and used substantially more power than many venues were capable of accommodating.  The M&Ms clause was in the staging section of the rider as a litmus test.  If they got off the bus and saw ladies in hair nets sorting M&Ms, or there was a bowl set out that was missing the offending color there was a very good chance that the stage would hold the weight, that generators & electrical were sorted, and someone had looked at the rigging plot.  If there were no M&Ms or they weren't sorted they were in for a long day.

So sayeth Diamond Dave.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2015, 03:24:28 PM »

And then there is the spec that stipulates a line array at 1 box per 25 people.
 :o ::)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2015, 03:35:28 PM »

:o ::)
That's pretty good for the people selling the cabinets.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Aaron Weidner

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2015, 07:43:13 PM »

"The (BassBoss) ZV28 was independently measured at Ultra Music Fest 2013 to achieve flat frequency response to 21Hz (-3 dB) at audience distance."

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2015, 09:50:39 PM »

Well thanks for that tidbit, corporate spokesman. Now do you have something to contribute to this thread?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2015, 01:17:18 AM »

Well thanks for that tidbit, corporate spokesman. Now do you have something to contribute to this thread?

Aaron's comment is a response to a statement up-thread about 20Hz response @ commercially usable levels being relatively rare.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2015, 01:39:29 AM »

Do they have to all work or can there be empty boxes for show?  Like the fake Marshall 4x12 cabs or burglar alarm boxes with nothing more than an LED.

Steve.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2015, 09:17:55 AM »

Do they have to all work or can there be empty boxes for show?  Like the fake Marshall 4x12 cabs or burglar alarm boxes with nothing more than an LED.

Steve.
I actually did that years ago.

There was a producer who hired me, and I had taken out my usual 16 box rig (before the days of line arrays) in this particular room many times with great success.

But this time he HAD to have 32 boxes.  It did not matter what the boxes were, it was simply box count that mattered to the "artist".

So I was changing over my PA to a different style/configuration, so we took the drivers out of the old boxes and put them in the new ones.

We spray painted cardboard to cover up the old speaker holes (there were grills in front that were very hard to see through).

We spaced the boxes out so that every other one was a non working one.

I did plug a cable into all of the boxes (simply tying the non working boxes to each other)

It looked and sounded like a working system.  And he was happy-and he did pay extra for the extra boxes.

Sometimes that is all it takes.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2015, 11:25:34 AM »

Aaron's comment is a response to a statement up-thread about 20Hz response @ commercially usable levels being relatively rare.

Had he included a quote, which happens automatically by hitting "quote", it would have been clear.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2015, 11:25:34 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 25 queries.