ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Modern Role of studio monitors  (Read 4917 times)

zachzaba

The Modern Role of studio monitors
« on: March 25, 2011, 07:13:45 PM »

So the reality of the listener these days in on ear buds, laptop speakers and >3inch  computer  speakers but I was just curious what a lot of the "home mixers" used in their set ups?

Do you have a 8"+ speaker set as well and if not what types of common adjustments become neccissary when you move your final mix to the car or even PA?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: The Modern Role of studio monitors
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 07:25:45 PM »

So the reality of the listener these days in on ear buds, laptop speakers and >3inch  computer  speakers but I was just curious what a lot of the "home mixers" used in their set ups?

Do you have a 8"+ speaker set as well and if not what types of common adjustments become neccissary when you move your final mix to the car or even PA?

This question would be more appropriate in the REP recording forums, which you can reach via the link in the announcements section.

Mac

Kellen Tyburski

• Kellen Tyburski | Audio Engineering
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 03:14:10 PM »

Not sure if this ever made it into the REP forum.. but....
I do some mixing at home, I have a pair of Focal CMS65's that work wonderfully.  But considering the large box of a room I'm workin in, I like to test on as many different speaker systems I can, and that means in the car as well! I find myself making corrections to the lows, and the low mids mostly. I have a pair of mix cubes, and I use headphones (even ear buds) to listen to my mixes as well. I've moved 3 times in the past year, so I still have not become confident with mixing at home and not checking my mixes on other systems.
KT

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 04:45:10 PM »

[Do you have a 8"+ speaker set as well and if not what types of common adjustments become neccissary when you move your final mix to the car or even PA?]

We use a Pair of HR-824s for editing, They are supposed to be "Flat". It is a good starting point.

If it sounds good thru the monitors, It should sound fine when played thru a Home Theater System or an I-Pod.

We sometimes use Sound Effects that go below 45 Hz, If it is really important to Preview this before a Show or DVD,
I will set up the Subs (QW-218s) and run the Lows thru them. (QW-4s on top) It is however a seldom used option for us.

Regards,  John

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 04:45:10 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 22 queries.