ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless Microphone Interference  (Read 246 times)

Debbie Teague

Wireless Microphone Interference
« on: April 16, 2024, 06:23:54 AM »

Can you help identify the problem with the distortion in the vocal mic in this clip? It's a Shure GLXD system. Wondering if the problem is proximity to the Allen & Heath ME-1 mixing console the choir director is using? https://youtu.be/QBoEL3tZdbk

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Wireless Microphone Interference
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 03:34:02 PM »

Can you help identify the problem with the distortion in the vocal mic in this clip? It's a Shure GLXD system. Wondering if the problem is proximity to the Allen & Heath ME-1 mixing console the choir director is using? https://youtu.be/QBoEL3tZdbk
Per the posing rules, you need to use your actual name before anyone will reply.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Rob Bernstein

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 06:58:52 AM »

Debbie,
I am not a fan of the GLXD system, one of the singers in a wedding band I worked for had one.
Because these operate in the 2.4GHz spectrum they are constantly being hit by phones and other Wifi garbage. One of the issues I discovered (when hearing that same crunchy drop-out sound you are hearing) was the GLXD receiver was too close to the router I was using for my mixer. Moving the two away from each other helped, but didn't completely fix the issue.
I tried changing the channel the GLXD was using (it is supposed to find a clean frequency on its own) but could never get the unit to operate trouble-free for any extended period of time.
The singer finally sold the unit and got herself a Shure SLXD which operates in the UHF band. No issues since then (and I always scan the venue prior to a performance).
Just my 2-cents.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 05:00:55 PM »

{...} The singer finally sold the unit and got herself a Shure SLXD which operates in the UHF band. No issues since then {...}

Unfortunately, I think this is the best advice any of us can give you. When it comes to devices operating in the 2.4 GHz range (and regardless of manufacturer), interference/drop-outs aren't a question of "if" but rather of "when", so using them in audience-facing applications is strongly discouraged by basically everyone on these forums.

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 05:00:55 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.