ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best floor monitor  (Read 9059 times)

Steven Fondren

Best floor monitor
« on: September 10, 2015, 12:55:44 AM »

Our small church is doing away with a pair of hotspots and getting some wedge floor monitors.  Any suggestions on mid-range quality pair of active monitors?  Would really like to have white.  Thanks in advance!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Best floor monitor
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 09:09:43 AM »

Our small church is doing away with a pair of hotspots and getting some wedge floor monitors.  Any suggestions on mid-range quality pair of active monitors?  Would really like to have white.  Thanks in advance!
It would help to know what sort of budget you are looking at.

To some people "midrange: means $300-400.  To others it means $1500 each.

Does size matter?

What sort of angle is needed?

Do they have to be stand mount like your hotspots?

Is this for vocal or instruments also?

Details more than the color, would really help to get you some usable answers.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Matt Edmonds

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 11:27:26 AM »

Definitely need more info. We recently purchased some Danley SM-LMP monitors for our church. They are fantastic.

John L Nobile

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 03:10:21 PM »

Definitely need more info. We recently purchased some Danley SM-LMP monitors for our church. They are fantastic.

+1 on those monitors. I've got 4 of them and everyone is very happy with them. Low profile, smooth and very even coverage.

Jared Koopman

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 02:11:00 AM »

We just purchased some Tannoy VX8M monitors and they are quite nice. I realize they are passive but I suspect the powered versions are equally nice.

Nice clean sound to it. It gets loud enough for our purposes and while it doesn't have the lowest of lows, it still sounds full.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 03:03:17 AM »

We just purchased some Tannoy VX8M monitors and they are quite nice. I realize they are passive but I suspect the powered versions are equally nice.

Nice clean sound to it. It gets loud enough for our purposes and while it doesn't have the lowest of lows, it still sounds full.

I will second the Tannoy VX series as great sounding and compact.  I don't have any experience with the Danley SM-LMP so can't comment.  I will add for very compact, excellent sonic quality Martin DD6.  These are not active but offer many great features.
For mid price, mid range look at the Yamaha DXR series.  The DXR10 & DXR12 sound better than many/most in their price range. 
The JBL SRX812p offers some great features and a mid range price point for a self powered monitor.  Sounds very good too.

What are you using these monitors for?
Rock level music monitoring for a drummer in an enclosure?
Voice reinforcement for spoken word only?
Gathering 2-3 vocalists at a time in front of a single wedge as praise team vocal monitors?
Etc., etc.
Different uses will may best be filled with different solutions. 
Help us make the best recommendations for you by giving us more information.

Lee

edit; corrected spelling
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 12:03:11 PM by Lee Buckalew »
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 11:00:18 AM »

If I were in Europe I would also look (listen) carefully at the new MMA offerings.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 11:34:16 AM »

I will second the at annoy VX series

Priceless.

Mac

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 12:02:24 PM »

Priceless.

Mac

Oops!  ::)

iPad and fat fingers.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Steven Fondren

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 10:01:54 PM »

Definitely the 2-400 range.  Floor monitors.  Only 8-10 feet from musicians so angle isnt critical.  Dont need a lot of power.  Smaller physical size the better.

Antti Rintamaki

Best floor monitor
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 02:59:39 AM »

Not sure about exact US street prices but compared prices over here, DB technologies active FM10 is hard to beat when it's about size, usability, sound and price.

It's not as good sounding as Danley SM-LMP mentioned or micro wedge or d&b, L'Acoustics etc. top range product. But the price is also totally different league.

I have 4 pcs of FM10 and it has been perfect for worship gigs. I highly valuate it over any "multipurpose" active speakers DXR, QSC K10, etc.  FM10 is monitor shaped and housed with coaxial element. It can be placed close to musicians/singers as the element is angled pretty upwards. The overall sound is not too bright, quite pleasing actually. With reasonable levels there's no need for radical eq's for monitors.

If you have a chance, go and listen one yourself. There's also smaller FM8 and more powerful FM12.

My choice would be these. If not, I would look for used 8" or 10" microwedges, Danley's or perhaps Nexo PS8 or PS10.

Antti

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 03:54:40 AM by Antti Rintamaki »

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 09:28:18 AM »

Definitely the 2-400 range.  Floor monitors.  Only 8-10 feet from musicians so angle isnt critical.  Dont need a lot of power.  Smaller physical size the better.

The closest thing that I have used would be the Yamaha DXR8 but it cost more than the price range you have listed.

Angle is critical so that the musicians are in the coverage pattern of the horn.

Lee
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 10:21:27 PM by Lee Buckalew »
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 03:06:44 PM »

In that price range, when you don't need to get loud, the Alto SXM112A seems to come up a lot on these forums.

Based on that, I picked up two for my church a couple months ago and we've been happy with them so far.
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 01:12:58 AM »

Angle is critical so that the musicians are in the coverage pattern of the horn.

Not being in the coverage pattern will cause the performer to think the monitors suck. Another common, related problem is placing the music stand so it blocks the straight-line path between the HF driver and the performer's ears.

If you can't see it, you won't be able to hear it.

So whatever you get, make sure the placement is proper or you'll never be happy.

Poor placement of monitors, especially by blocking it with the music stand, is very common.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 08:50:26 AM »

In that price range, when you don't need to get loud, the Alto SXM112A seems to come up a lot on these forums.

Based on that, I picked up two for my church a couple months ago and we've been happy with them so far.
Based on comments here, I purchased a pair of the Alto SXM112a.  They've worked out very well in my rig.  I demo'd them at the cafe, subsequently am deploying four for the cafe tomorrow.  At $299 ea, w/free shipping from some vendors, a nice coaxial, providing you don't need lots of volume. 

ymmv
frank

Ervin Hyatt

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 02:37:24 PM »

I think you should get 10" woofers you do not need allot of low end build up on stage and they are smaller over all. Peavey PVx 10 (Behringer Eurolive B2100 WH is white). Under $400 Peavey would be hard to beat.

Get any black speaker and take it to car wrap place and get white shrink wrap on them. I think they can do it?

Another thing it to delay mains to monitors. I run a click track through monitors loud and mains lower level so i hear monitors in house. You will hear two clicks. Delay mains until i hear one click in house. This will add monitor spill to house in time. I have found this to work great in small venues. Never had complaints from stage and loud monitors act like front fills on the front row.

Lord Bless

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 04:47:25 PM »

Based on comments here, I purchased a pair of the Alto SXM112a.  They've worked out very well in my rig.  I demo'd them at the cafe, subsequently am deploying four for the cafe tomorrow.  At $299 ea, w/free shipping from some vendors, a nice coaxial, providing you don't need lots of volume. 

ymmv
frank

Probably not much help to the OP now but  +1 on the Altos. I got a couple and will get to use them this Saturday for the first time. Won't be using them much as the band's we mainly run sound for are all iem but love the small footprint and for the money they are tough to beat. Saturday we are running sound for a different band who only use floor monitors and these will work out really well. We had been dragging 15"'s around with us and only using a fraction of the power till I got these.
Probably doesn't matter to the OP but I like to have something small to mess around with when I need to run music or FX through a small speaker at home.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 04:47:25 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.