ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Omni Microphone Uses  (Read 2132 times)

Aaron Maurer

Omni Microphone Uses
« on: September 07, 2015, 09:18:58 AM »

Been debating acquiring an omni mic just to experiment.  Been having some really great success with cardioid condensers over the drum kit so I know my abilities with them.  Really considering putting a single omni up?  Also I run into a few speaking engagements a year and one in particular the folks do not provide consistent volume into the microphone(s) thus causing things to be pushed in search of providing adequate volume levels. As I am always on the quest to find the best solution with the best outcome as I am sure we all are I ask the question would an omni mic provide a better solution?  The conditions on the speaking side are 300 folks room is 100X150'. I Am using mid fills in the room with time delay (SMAART). I have a monitor at the podium but is very low in volume. Last year I ran an SM57 and considered a pair this year.  The year before a Sennheiser e835 which did not work all that well. The issue is once the event starts its 3 hours of none stop lecture, comedians, etc.  Have the offer to get an Audio Technica Atm10 for pretty cheap and thought that may be a good experimental option. Thanks for any input drum overheads/speaking.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Omni Microphone Uses
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 10:59:53 AM »

Been debating acquiring an omni mic just to experiment.  Been having some really great success with cardioid condensers over the drum kit so I know my abilities with them.  Really considering putting a single omni up?

Why do you think an omni would be better? It will pick up not only the kit, but everything else onstage, the reflections off the ceiling, the wedges, and anything else that might be in the air. If you want to go with a single mic, try one of your cardioid condensers.

Also I run into a few speaking engagements a year and one in particular the folks do not provide consistent volume into the microphone(s) thus causing things to be pushed in search of providing adequate volume levels. As I am always on the quest to find the best solution with the best outcome as I am sure we all are I ask the question would an omni mic provide a better solution?

An omni does not smooth out level problems. It just picks up in every direction fairly evenly, where a cardioid picks up mostly in the direction you point it. For use on a lectern an omni will generally be worse than a cardioid in marginal GBF situations.
  I have a monitor at the podium but is very low in volume.

What is in the monitor? If it is anything but audience Q&A mics lose it.

Last year I ran an SM57 and considered a pair this year.  The year before a Sennheiser e835 which did not work all that well. The issue is once the event starts its 3 hours of none stop lecture, comedians, etc.  Have the offer to get an Audio Technica Atm10 for pretty cheap and thought that may be a good experimental option. Thanks for any input drum overheads/speaking.

Stick with the 57s, or go for a gooseneck lectern mic like a Countryman IsoMax 4 (the best) or a Shure MX412 (still pretty good). An omni has little use on a drum kit or a lectern.

Mac

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 12:00:56 PM »

1. A pair of 57's on a podium is a main and a backup. You don't use them together.

2.  An omni on a podium is generally a bad idea. UNLESS the wind is blowing. Then it is a great idea.

3. The omni you want is an EV 635a.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 01:58:49 PM by Mac Kerr »
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 01:43:50 PM »

1. A pair of 57's on a podium is a main and a backup. You don't use them together.

2.  An omni on a podium is generally a bad idea. UNLESS the wind is blowing. Then it is a great idea.

3. The omni you want is an EV 635a.

And it can double as a hammer.  Even radio station news guys couldn't kill them.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 01:43:50 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.