ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: GC cutting back a little more...  (Read 6961 times)

Cailen Waddell

Re: GC cutting back a little more...
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 10:54:59 PM »

I had heard that my Pro contact guy at GC was looking around at the competition (across the street) and I just found out he was actually laid off  from GC. Been there many years and the only guy who knew enough to keep me going back….. crap !

Thrower?  He was the only guy I would talk to, that's too bad. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brandon Scopel

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 11:33:58 PM »

Yeah I heard it from Steve bass

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Jim Rutherford

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 11:52:12 PM »

I'm going to push the Check Out button now.

duane massey

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 12:46:36 AM »

The real mom&pop killer is the growing trend for the online "stores" to not stock anything. They have everything drop-shipped direct from the manufacturer. I know two such dealers and they have no overhead beyond their phone/internet and the cost of maintaining a website.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 12:57:05 AM »

The real mom&pop killer is the growing trend for the online "stores" to not stock anything. They have everything drop-shipped direct from the manufacturer. I know two such dealers and they have no overhead beyond their phone/internet and the cost of maintaining a website.
It's even better than that, you get XML data feeds from your vendor so your site maintenance is minimal.  You just sit and your chair and play with the margins and watch the money roll in.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2015, 07:22:55 AM »

I am happy that my local store, Sims Music, seems to be doing well. The GC that opened in Columbia SC does not seem to have had an impact on them. I want to hear and play a guitar before buying (especially an acoustic guitar) so online is less likely for that. I have historically bought most PA stuff online. (much from MF and Ebay) GC has been useful for used stuff. ON a more recent purchase of xlr cables, it was this forum that convinced me to get the ewi cables from Audiopile.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2015, 11:26:17 AM »

I became a Shure dealer because I needed two dozen new SM58s for a corporate show a couple of years ago, and becoming a dealer and using that for my opening order was better then "getting a deal" from Musician's Friend. I've maintained my dealership with eBay sales, allowing me to place a steady stream of orders, both drop shipped and fulfilled from my in house stock.

The difference comes, though, from *why* a dealer is drop shipping things as opposed to maintaining inventory. For me, it's a fiscal consideration- I simply cannot spend $500K to stock every model and frequency variation of wireless system that Shure sells. The caveat here is that I don't know what the availability of a certain model/frequency combination is until I place the order- and I only place the order when the item sells. It's an annoying situation to be in when I have to explain to my customer why I can't get the combination they want out the door today.

At the same time, Shure has a $50 (dealer cost) order minimum- so things like replacement parts, those cute black vinyl bags I sell, belt pack clips, etc-- even finished goods like replacement mic clips or SM58 grilles -- I have to stock those so I can actually fill the order. And even when I can drop ship something, the cost for me to send it via US Mail is cheaper then the UPS charges that Shure will have, since they only ship UPS.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2015, 11:59:51 AM »

I'm shocked... :o

This is the natural progression of a maturing market to squeeze inefficiency out of the supply chain, driven by the unending consumer demand for lower prices.

This trend was already mature last century when I tried to inform dealers to find ways to add value to keep themselves relevant to their customers.
------
Take financial articles with a grain of salt, sometimes they are selling their book (promoting a long or short investment position).
------
The internet has fostered huge shifts in price discovery, where customers can search in seconds for the cheapest price.

I wouldn't want to work in retail, then or now.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

duane massey

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2015, 01:40:42 AM »

I am perfectly happy to make my living as technician/installer/programmer/repair guy/musician. I want nothing to do with sales, other than the custom gear that I sometimes build. Everybody whines about the demise of the small stores, but most of the whiners still buy online, even after going to the local store to try out the merchandise.
Life has never been fair.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2015, 04:43:16 AM »

i hate all independent stores except Pro Drum Shop in hollywood. from 1970 until 1987 i lived in places that had independent stores. a lot of them would not order the drums sticks and heads i use. forget buying pa gear from them. all wanted list price for drums. in some places there was only one music store and if you didnt like their merchindise some would tell you to leave and dont come back. they did a lot of business because they were the only ones. GC was great and Sam Ash came in second. the worst stores i sealt with were and 2 are in jackson mississippi where i'm from. one store seemed like it added 10% to the list price on a drum set i was looking at buying. be careful what you wish for if you never dealt with independent stores especially if there is only one in your town. as for knowledge , i never met anyone that could eve answer my tech questions ever. i just called the manufacturers tech line and now i just go to their website. i hope GC and Sam Ash survive so prices will stay down. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 04:49:57 AM by Jeff Bankston »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2015, 04:43:16 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 25 queries.