ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Casters for very large case  (Read 4800 times)

Hanno Meingast

Casters for very large case
« on: September 03, 2015, 05:47:55 PM »

Hi, I'm about to build a large case on wheels to move a folk coffeehouse sound system between a storage room and the performance space. Dimensions are 5' long , about 3' deep and about 5' high. Holding six QSC K10, a Mixwiz in SKB case, EQs, cd burner, mic cables and stands and speaker stands. Lockable. I'm thinking max 1000 lb. this will not have to go on the road.
Wondering if anyone has any caster recommendations   Going mostly on hard vinyl floors, as well as thin industrial carpeting
Thanks.  Hanno

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.    Hanno

Cailen Waddell

Re: Casters for very large case
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 06:18:07 PM »

Triple throw casters.  http://www.rosebrand.com/product165/Triple-Swivel-Caster.aspx?cid=211&idx=34000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 06:50:31 PM »

harbor freight 8 inch castors. I have a couple large things using them. Don't be afraid of the harbor freight brand. I'm the kind of guy that also buys makita and dewalt tools
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

John Chiara

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 01:27:48 AM »

Hi, I'm about to build a large case on wheels to move a folk coffeehouse sound system between a storage room and the performance space. Dimensions are 5' long , about 3' deep and about 5' high. Holding six QSC K10, a Mixwiz in SKB case, EQs, cd burner, mic cables and stands and speaker stands. Lockable. I'm thinking max 1000 lb. this will not have to go on the road.
Wondering if anyone has any caster recommendations   Going mostly on hard vinyl floors, as well as thin industrial carpeting
Thanks.  Hanno

I got some 5" swivelers from Home Depot...for a stack of 3 Lab Subs, 2 KF 850's and an SM 222. I can move it myself.

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 10:03:23 AM »

Colson maroon urethane tire swivel casters are one of the standards of the industry.  They don't mark up the floor and roll nicely when the correct size(or larger) is used.  For a cabinet/case that large, I'd go with a 5" diameter wheel that's 2" wide:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Colson-Polyurethane-Maroon-Gray-Swivel-Caster-5-x-2-w-4-x-4-1-2-Top-Plate-/171796763923?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

These are rated at 750lbs capacity each.  I like the overkill.

I have purchased from these guys before-very good service.  Not sure where you're located, so that may be an issue.

Best regards,

John

B

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 12:29:15 PM »

I like for each caster to be rated for the entire weight.  Unless the floor is perfectly level, there will be placed it runs on 2 wheels. 

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 12:46:12 PM »

Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 01:08:27 PM »

these are rated at 450 lbs
http://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-Rubber-Heavy-Duty-Cushion-Tire-Rigid-Caster-69905.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/8-in-rubber-heavy-duty-cushion-tire-swivel-caster-with-brake-61836.html
According to the QSC site, the K10 is 32 lbs * 6 = 192 lbs
Do you really have another 800 lbs

A 5X3X5 road case is probably going to tip the scales at about 300 lbs on its own, empty, depending on how it's constructed. Maybe even more. 1000 lbs may be a bit high of an estimate, but not completely off track.  It's a good number to use as the total estimate, as you certainly don't want to estimate too low on weight.

For something that size, you will need to consider how to control the momentum of the box being pushed around. Knowing that you are moving from vinyl to carpet means there will be a floor transition to deal with, so larger wheels are a must. Excessive weight on a small wheel will cause damage to that transition area.

Having all 4 casters swivel will create a box that can become unruly as you move it around.  Having 2 wheels stationary will limit your turn radius which can be a problem as well.  A solution I have seen is to use 6 wheels, with 2 stationary wheels placed in the center of the road case, and then 4 on the corners that can rotate.  this makes sure that the case goes in a general straight direction and can't take off sideways. A case that size rolling sideways could easily catch on something and tip, which would be very bad indeed.
Brian Jojade

Hanno Meingast

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 02:09:27 PM »

Thank you for your replys

Dess Dermondy

• Welcome to the Picture Show
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 08:03:15 PM »

Thanks.  Hanno
Mc Master Carr is a good source for cheap and quality parts depending upon your budget

Dess Dermondy

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 08:03:15 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.