ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Rider  (Read 5677 times)

Tamar Ghobria

Audio Rider
« on: September 03, 2015, 07:36:54 AM »

Had this discussion with a friend....What would you say is the most requested Audio System on Riders currently?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Audio Rider
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 08:00:49 AM »

Had this discussion with a friend....What would you say is the most requested Audio System on Riders currently?
When you say "audio system" are you talking about the speaker system or a combination of speakers-amps-console-mics etc
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 01:41:15 PM »

Probably the main things that they (and tour managers) can see.  Speakers and maybe console.

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 02:07:40 PM »

Stuff that is above the Lounge Budget...

So any Speaker system package that cost about $1m and FOH & Monitor consoles that are above $30k are pretty much Rider Acceptable.  But 90% of the Riders are built off of what the Engineer want/uses on a regular bases.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 05:05:14 PM »

Which brings up the question, whose riders?  "A" list celebrity touring acts?  Folks that might sell out an arena for one night?  Acts touring large clubs?  Up and coming indie acts?  Acts that were once something or had something on national radio years ago?  Regional or local acts that have been slogging the van and trailer circuit for years?  Regional or local acts who think they've just hit the big time and write varsity level riders?

I suspect this is a "What is the best speaker out there?" question.  Best for an arena?  Best for a shed?  Best for an open air concert in the desert?  Best for a football stadium?

What was that about any simple question? ...     ;)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 05:28:45 PM »

Which brings up the question, whose riders?  "A" list celebrity touring acts?  Folks that might sell out an arena for one night?  Acts touring large clubs?  Up and coming indie acts?  Acts that were once something or had something on national radio years ago?  Regional or local acts that have been slogging the van and trailer circuit for years?  Regional or local acts who think they've just hit the big time and write varsity level riders?

I suspect this is a "What is the best speaker out there?" question.  Best for an arena?  Best for a shed?  Best for an open air concert in the desert?  Best for a football stadium?

What was that about any simple question? ...     ;)

You've pretty much nailed it.

We see all kinds of riders.  Things range from generic specs (32 working inputs, snake, speaker system appropriate for venue and genre, etc) to very specific riders for Bands You've Heard Of® that want specific speaker systems in a particular deployment, big dog consoles, extensive electrical service for the band's video, lighting and back line package, etc.

The Flavor of the Month is l'Acoustics K2.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tamar Ghobria

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 08:15:27 PM »

You've pretty much nailed it.

We see all kinds of riders.  Things range from generic specs (32 working inputs, snake, speaker system appropriate for venue and genre, etc) to very specific riders for Bands You've Heard Of® that want specific speaker systems in a particular deployment, big dog consoles, extensive electrical service for the band's video, lighting and back line package, etc.

The Flavor of the Month is l'Acoustics K2.

I would say speakers....large touring acts...Vertec, Meyer, L'Acousitc, D and B......Just curious what most of you come accross

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 08:43:32 PM »

I came across one recently that asked for a Midas Heritage as the first choice and they wanted top notch processing for pretty much each channel with Drawmer gates and dbx 160 comps and SPX-2000 grade FX. The third choice desk was an M7CL which had me laughing a bit. They went from a $100,000 desk with another 20k in outboard gear to a $20k desk in three moves. This was for a C national corporate act. This was for an act that couldn't sell enough tickets to afford production costs to even rent the PA system that cost 5k to rent and run. I find the B and C national level bands usually want the A national stuff, but ultimately end up with whatever the person fronting the bill will afford that is within reason of that wish list.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 10:34:17 AM »

I had a show recently where they wanted 32+ channels/6 auxes analog/usual suspects of EQ, C/L/G, M-One, D2, etc. For a club show, 300-400px maximum, and in reality, probably less then 200 were there. For convenience on my end, based on what was going to be on the truck, I tried to get their tech to take an LS9-- it's gonna be easier, no outboard, so smaller footprint in the club. No dice. He did not want to have to "learn a new digital board on a fly date," and so unless I would bring him a 5D, he wanted analog. Club's not going to give the space for a 5D, nor are they going to pay $600 for me to bring one in.

All I have for more-then-12-channel-Mackie boards is a Soundcraft LX7ii-32, I've had for almost 8 years and it hasn't gone out in about 3 years once we went digital. I sent that out, along with a couple stacks of outboard. The club GM is looking at all the outboard and wanted to know why in the hell we needed it-- commenting on how DJ's "never have riders that need this!" -- and I just shrugged my shoulders- "your talent required this." Show went well, life was good, I got paid, and as Tim would say, "Clients don't make silly requests; clients give you the opportunity to add another line item on the invoice."

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 12:37:29 PM »

All I have for more-then-12-channel-Mackie boards is a Soundcraft LX7ii-32, I've had for almost 8 years and it hasn't gone out in about 3 years once we went digital. I sent that out, along with a couple stacks of outboard.
-Ray
Along with a can of DeOxit?   ::)

D2?  At least they didn't ask for a 2290.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 12:37:29 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.