ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Drum subsnake  (Read 8914 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Drum subsnake
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 02:21:18 PM »

My current mess reducer is a 10' x 8 ch fan to fan. I plug one end into the stage snake matching the numbers. At the other end I labeled each with the specific thing in the drum kit it is for. The fan usually ends up on the floor next to the kick near the hat & snare. Now short cables are run from the mics and I don't need to think about channel numbers. If a kit doesn't have everything on the sub snake, it is just left blank. Most connections are done with 10' cables. Many have right angles at the mic.
Works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 03:23:52 PM »

John L Nobile

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 03:58:11 PM »

All good ideas. Thanks guys. I like the expandable sleeving. I'm going to look into that. The cable ties are a bit hard on the hands if you're in a hurry.
I made 4 looms earlier and they seem to work better than just 2. I need to get an assistant to do my cabling. My day gig is taking too much of my time lately.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 04:42:18 PM »

The ends of the mesh sheathing will fray pretty badly.  You either want to put shrink sleeving over the end, or for shorter term use, electrical tape.

Also, it's much easier to deal with pushing things through before you put connectors on.  You can get an XLR though the 3/4" stuff along with another wire or two, but it's work.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 06:08:44 PM »

The ends of the mesh sheathing will fray pretty badly.  You either want to put shrink sleeving over the end, or for shorter term use, electrical tape.

Also, it's much easier to deal with pushing things through before you put connectors on.  You can get an XLR though the 3/4" stuff along with another wire or two, but it's work.

Techflex makes a "clean cut" version that doesn't fray as much. A hot knife cutter (I have a flat blade on an old soldering gun) helps a lot too, IME.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 07:27:44 PM »

I always wanted to design and or make a sub snake that had the tails long enough to simply use as a direct connection to the mics. Very much like the drum drop posted above. The main trunk would say be a 16 channel and it would break off into tails that were 10-15' in length each. there is a cable organizer that whirlwind uses that is meant to keep the cables from tangling. I could simply patch what I needed with either a fan to fan, or mass connector and be done. The channels would be a hot connection from then on.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 08:52:57 PM »

I have my 9 drum channels taped into pairs (plus one single) right now. Sn/hat, kick in and out, rack toms (2), floor and OHL are all run in pairs. I have a single for OHR. Plus my click and talkback are paired up too.

This avoids the tangle, but still speeds up my setup time.

I have done the long breakouts and they are more hassle than they are worth. Always getting tangled!

Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Drum subsnake
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 08:59:53 PM »

For loom like things, I like the black nylon braided sleeve.  I've made a bunch of siamese cables for powered speakers with this and have made various guitar pedal board to amp or rack to desk looms with it over the years.  Takes up very little additional space, lays neatly, and looks professional.

If you search ebay for "braided sleeve spool", or "expandable sleeve spool" you can get 1000's of feet of the stuff for very cheap prices. I've seen off cuts with 100's of feet going for under 50 bucks.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 09:06:28 PM by Tim Weaver »
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 01:01:54 PM »

If you search ebay for "braided sleeve spool", or "expandable sleeve spool" you can get 1000's of feet of the stuff for very cheap prices. I've seen off cuts with 100's of feet going for under 50 bucks.
This place http://www.halted.com/ is in my neighborhood and I can reel off the sheathing by the foot at similar discounts.  Along with all kinds of other surplus rack parts, connectors and whatever.  There are a few such places around here.  Another, http://www.weirdstuff.com/ has all kinds of odd leftover stuff and you never know what you'll find.  But if you want to cool off your amp rack, you can usually find a rack mount blower cage from an old mainframe or server for really cheap.  Not sure if there are places like this in other locales.  Back when more manufacturing was done in the Valley they were everywhere.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 06:18:15 PM »

Here's an example of one I use when I need more than 3 or 4 mics on the drums (which isn't all that often).  The splay on the female end is 2 metres, or a bit more than 6 ft.  The other end is about 18 inches.  The whole thing is about 25 ft. to the long split, and is long enough that I don't need to add an extra cable unless there are overheads.

The cable was a piece of recycled Canare 8-pair with techflex over the ends.  It's not totally tangle-proof, so I tape the long ends together when I put it away to try and avoid knots.  The slippery nylon certainly helps straightening things out, and the overall diameter is quite small.  1/8" techflex is a good fit over top of the individually jacketed Canare cable.

Rather than numbers, I used the colour coding rings for the Neutrik XX-series connectors.  You can read them from any angle, but they don't stick out too much on stage.

GTD

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 06:18:15 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.