ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M7 Digital Snake Question  (Read 4403 times)

ryan greenburg

M7 Digital Snake Question
« on: August 30, 2015, 11:02:27 PM »

I have a pretty large show coming up where I'm going to be supervising the audio team in a corporate av environment. We're using an M7 with a 500' digidesign profile snake. I know that digital consoles can have issues with head amp control through digital snakes. Is there anything I need to do to avoid any potential issues?

jason misterka

Re: M7 Digital Snake Question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 12:21:27 AM »

I have a pretty large show coming up where I'm going to be supervising the audio team in a corporate av environment. We're using an M7 with a 500' digidesign profile snake. I know that digital consoles can have issues with head amp control through digital snakes. Is there anything I need to do to avoid any potential issues?

Ryan -

Just to clarify, you are asking if a Avid Profile stagebox will work with a Yamaha M7CL? 

The answer is no, not at all.

You need to use the Profile OR find a Yamaha configuration that works.   500 ft means you have very limited options.

Jason

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 09:50:12 AM »

Yes, you need to use Yamaha products with Yamaha products.  They are not interchangeable.

Nothing in the Yamaha universe uses BNC snakes (the kind AVID/Digidesign uses between the Stage rack and Mix rack).  Yamaha uses CAT5e.  To get remotely digitized audio into the M7 you will need compatible MY-series expansion cards in the M7 and the corresponding remote mic preamps - Ethersound or Dante via Yamaha RIO.

I respectfully suggest you are not qualified to specify the system and should have someone with more experience handle this part.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ryan greenburg

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 10:50:27 AM »

Yes, you need to use Yamaha products with Yamaha products.  They are not interchangeable.

Nothing in the Yamaha universe uses BNC snakes (the kind AVID/Digidesign uses between the Stage rack and Mix rack).  Yamaha uses CAT5e.  To get remotely digitized audio into the M7 you will need compatible MY-series expansion cards in the M7 and the corresponding remote mic preamps - Ethersound or Dante via Yamaha RIO.

I respectfully suggest you are not qualified to specify the system and should have someone with more experience handle this part.

I didn't order any of the gear. When I was placed on this I received an email last week saying this is what was ordered by the person who's putting it all together.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 11:20:38 AM »

I didn't order any of the gear. When I was placed on this I received an email last week saying this is what was ordered by the person who's putting it all together.

Since you will be the supervisor it may be time for a phone call to the person who did spec the gear to find out exactly how they expect it to go together. If the M7 has 3 MY Madi cards in it there is a possibility that it could work, but since Avid's early digital snakes signal differs slightly from Madi there is no guarantee that it will work. What will work is an M7 with 3 Dante cards and 48 channels worth of Rio I/O devices and 2 or 4 GB network switches.

It's probably easier to just get a console/snake system that works as is though. Like a CL5, or the whole Profile system.

Mac

ryan greenburg

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 10:00:20 PM »

Since you will be the supervisor it may be time for a phone call to the person who did spec the gear to find out exactly how they expect it to go together. If the M7 has 3 MY Madi cards in it there is a possibility that it could work, but since Avid's early digital snakes signal differs slightly from Madi there is no guarantee that it will work. What will work is an M7 with 3 Dante cards and 48 channels worth of Rio I/O devices and 2 or 4 GB network switches.

It's probably easier to just get a console/snake system that works as is though. Like a CL5, or the whole Profile system.

Mac

Everything has been taken care of. Thanks

Ray Cerwinski

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 01:12:01 AM »

Care to share the resolution? Inquiring minds...
Ray Cerwinski

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 01:12:01 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 23 queries.