ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for a back-up board / iPad mixing.  (Read 16746 times)

Josh Voyles

Re: Suggestions for a back-up board / iPad mixing.
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 08:23:08 AM »

I'm partial to using the X32 compact at FOH and the X32 Core for monitors/backup. With the S16 you're good to go.

You could alternatively go with the Midas versions for a little more money.

If those options are off the table, the X32 Rack may be your answer.

Brandon Scopel

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 08:26:19 AM »

Actually the two headphone outputs can be configured as aux outs for a total of six. That said, though brilliant in concept, this one is having some teething problems. Hopefully Soundcraft can sort out the version 1 issues in a firmware update for us early adopters but at the very least do a version 2 if it's a hardware issue. Not ready for prime time yet.
Rob,
Thanks for the info. I figured as much but looking over it briefly I couldn't find anything that said they could be used independent from the main mix.

Bob, I take back my previous comment about the auxes. :)

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Alex Thompson

• Central Ohio Sound
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 09:53:07 AM »

The Soundcraft Ui series is an interesting product, built in router and works with ANY device with a web browser capable of HTML 5.  has mute groups, view groups, vcas, linkable subgroups and Auxes.

At $550 its an excellent value for a backup console.
Alex Thompson
Joy Audio Visual, LLC
d.b.a. Central Ohio Sound
www.centralohiosound.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 09:56:28 AM »

The Soundcraft Ui series is an interesting product, built in router and works with ANY device with a web browser capable of HTML 5.  has mute groups, view groups, vcas, linkable subgroups and Auxes.

At $550 its an excellent value for a backup console.

Do you have a response to Rob Campbell's reply (above)?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Alex Thompson

• Central Ohio Sound
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 10:14:50 AM »

Do you have a response to Rob Campbell's reply (above)?

No, I was just replying to the original question: "As this would be a back up board, what would you suggest??"

I don't own one and I've only worked with one once so I'm not as familiar as I'd like to be.  Never tried to patch aux 5-6 to the headphone out.  Everything else seemed to work out fine. I didn't notice any bugs with the interface so I'm not familiar with any of the "teething problems"

Alex Thompson
Joy Audio Visual, LLC
d.b.a. Central Ohio Sound
www.centralohiosound.com

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 10:36:00 AM »

I did start looking at the UI yesterday actually. Price point is good and brand quality is a no-brainier. I was put off by the 4 aux outs -interesting to hear about the reconfiguration of the HP outs. Don't want to risk any teething problems though... Does anyone from Soundcraft peruse this forum who could comment on that?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 11:02:47 AM »

How about another Qu-16?  I've seen them slightly used for as little as $1200.00.  Save all your settings to a stick and just reload if you have to.

+1
On a typical gig if you have a mixer failure you will be in major damage control mode unless you have a back up mixer that is essentially hot swappable. (Not exactly the right phrase but you get the meaning). 

If you saved the scene after sound check on a thumb drive and do have a functionally equivalent backup, then you can be up an running again quickly.  Even then it can take 30 minutes by the time you figure out your mixer is the point of failure, get the backup out of the truck, swap it out and make all the connections,  restore the scene from thumb drive, bring the amps / powered speakers back online in an orderly manner, and double check the system is functioning properly and ready to continue.  I know because I did this several times when I ran Presonus 16.4.2 mixers (RIP).  I now use an X32 Rack/ iPad mostly with an X32 compact as the backup.

Any other kind of mixer change is probably going to take too long to get back to where you were.  So if you can't achieve an identical swap then you must accept that you will delay the show for an unacceptable length of time unless you do the absolute minimum to get up and running again quickly.  Really, shutting things down for 45 minutes or an hour mid show is just not going to fly in most cases.  The show is basically over at that point.

If you don't have an identical backup then your old board might be your best option.  As someone else mentioned the last thing you want is to try and switch to an unfamiliar board.  You are already in crisis mode so being intimately familiar with the old mixer and how it was configured to work with your band  is a tremendous advantage.  You have some advantage here being essentially a "band engineer" and knowing the minimum the players need to perform.  But still, you probably should  forget about the FOH snake and just mix side stage.  Ignore all your special  EQ and efx and just get the monitor mixes as close as you can from what you already know and just judge the house level from where you are.  Since you know the band you might even ask them to play an instrumental piece to start.  You can dial things in as you go but the goal is to start making music again a quickly as possible.

Of course I am sure you have thought about all this already and perhaps have other good reasons to look at alternate digital mixers.  I would just be realistic about how quickly you could make an emergency swap and how close you can come to exactly replicating the previous monitor and FOH mix on the next downbeat.
--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

john lutz

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 11:04:31 AM »

I did start looking at the UI yesterday actually. Price point is good and brand quality is a no-brainier. I was put off by the 4 aux outs -interesting to hear about the reconfiguration of the HP outs. Don't want to risk any teething problems though... Does anyone from Soundcraft peruse this forum who could comment on that?

Check this thread for more on the UI.  https://www.gearslutz.com/board/live-sound/1002062-anyone-get-soundcraft-ui16-yet.html

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 11:22:51 AM »

Not officially, except for a very occasional reply by Tom Der from Soundcraft USA.  Harman International generally does not permit any of its divisions to communicate outside the corporate umbrella.  Back on the FUDforums version of PSW there was significant discussion about, and some heft bashing of original I-Tech amps and Crown in general.  I think we got 2 "official" responses from Crown.

I certainly understand the reasons behind such a policy but sometimes a charm offensive is called for.  Look at Behringer (Uli, specifically) as an example.  Their folks are all over the various forums and the Boss will reply to certain posts.  It's asking too much for Sidney Harman to reply (except via Ouija Board), but having a point-person for each brand to manage their virtual presence would be a good thing, IMHO.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 11:38:56 AM »

Hi Debbie,
I got the QSC TOUCHMIX 16 for the cafe, and have been very happy. 16 xlr, 4 of which are dual purpose 1/4 +XLR, two additional stereo inputs, 6 mono and two stereo aux, and all the expected in a small, light package (hardly takes any room if you need to carry as a backup), a very workable interface (iPad and touchscreen on Touchmix nearly identical - learn only one interface).  When hooked up through a router, very reliable comm. 8 DCAs and a fair number of mute groups are nice. Four effects engines.  The power brick has a proprietary power input to the mixer, but seems extremely robust.

I also have a personal A&H QU16, and comparisons are inevitable.
- The QU16 requires one to learn the board plus a completely different iPad interface.  QSC has a nearly identical interface for both.
- The QU16 has a "two stage" channel - touch and one can adjust faders, but a different touch to select the channel to get to PEQ, compressors, etc.  QSC, one touch and channel is selected for fader control while a touch on the scribble strip gets you to the sub menus.  Personally I have trouble getting the A&H to respond to my touch - both for fader control, but most especially to select the channel.  -Recallable headamps on A&H, not on QSC.
- The QSC has a feature I wish was on other interfaces - a "nudge" control for fine, and via a "switch", extra fine one-step bumps for all selected controls. That alone, IMO, is worth the price of admission.
- The A&H has custom layers where one can add channels, effects, mute-group buttons and the like in any order so the controls are there in the order in which they apply to your workflow. QSC has nothing like it.
- A&H has RTA - that can be linked to a soloed channel. That specifically will never happen on the QSC due to lack of processing power, according to QSC engineers.
- The QSC seems to support any number of iPads/iDevices simultaneously - they just released a "beta" of their android control app - a little rough right now, but it is all there. A&H have a limited number of iPads (2 I believe) that it can support.
- Scribble strips on A&H are six characters, QSC allows MANY more - a strip entry like "Robs Mandolin" works on the QSC.
- there is no, nor never will be, a digital snake option with the QSC.

Dislikes: no indication of compression/gate on main channel screen.  No recallable head amp, though there is a "trim" so there is some adjustment via iPad.

Problems: With a very early version of the firmware, I managed to brick the mixer on a Saturday.  QSC support is closed on the weekends. Monday, QSC responded with a new mixer overnighted and in my hot little hands on Tuesday before noon.  New firmware was released to solve that instability. I had some odd things going on after a firmware update - a high level QSC engineer walked me through troubleshooting the problem - I would rate the support as near ideal.  Closed on the weekend is a ding.

We have been using it six nights a week since December.  Very likely it will become my backup.  I like it above the Mackie and the rack mount heads in that it has its own built in interface touchscreen - so if something were happen to the iPad, I would still retain full mixer control. 

No doubt, I've chosen its compromises over the sheer power and expand-ability of the others.

Hope that helps a bit.

frank
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 09:53:53 PM by frank kayser »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 11:38:56 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 25 queries.