ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless mic pops  (Read 12022 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Wireless mic pops
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 01:54:30 PM »

Which model # is it?  Sounds like the cheapest.

If it's good on the stand but not in the hand it's mechanical/electrical, not RF.

What happens if you shake her?

Nailed it- it is the cheapest... The EW100..
I am quite impressed with the build quality though I must admit. This is the first time I've taken a close look at one and the mic quality seems real nice. The receiver of course is very similar to the EW300 transmitters I have for my iems. I was able to get around the menu on it easily - not that much to see really.
So yes I noticed the first pop when she had it in her hand and off the stand but the second pop happened with it on the stand but she was pulling it over to one side whilst still on the stand. When it was left alone it was fine. So it wasn't being shaken up at all.
Also I doubt it has been dropped because she babies this thing and it doesn't have a mark on it- it looks brand new!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 01:55:31 PM »

I used to have that problem years ago when I was using an AKG system. One lead to the mic element would break off but still made contact until it bounced around. Very annoying and all 4 mics had the same issue. A real pain to solder as well.
I wish I could get in there to see..
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jim Rutherford

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 01:59:24 PM »

Yes, mute the channel, then shake and stir.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 02:08:36 PM »

Reading up on the mic, it would seem like you can change capsules even on their cheapest hand-held TX...which would suggest that something can simply come loose.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 02:18:32 PM »

Reading up on the mic, it would seem like you can change capsules even on their cheapest hand-held TX...which would suggest that something can simply come loose.

This is correct, all Evolution G3 series have interchangeable capsules.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2015, 02:19:15 PM »

Nailed it- it is the cheapest... The EW100..
I am quite impressed with the build quality though I must admit. This is the first time I've taken a close look at one and the mic quality seems real nice. The receiver of course is very similar to the EW300 transmitters I have for my iems. I was able to get around the menu on it easily - not that much to see really.
So yes I noticed the first pop when she had it in her hand and off the stand but the second pop happened with it on the stand but she was pulling it over to one side whilst still on the stand. When it was left alone it was fine. So it wasn't being shaken up at all.
Also I doubt it has been dropped because she babies this thing and it doesn't have a mark on it- it looks brand new!

Debbie,
Watch the metering while testing and confirm that the noise is coming from the receiver (watch the AF signal at the receiver) audio input section.
If you see an AF hit and hear the noise it could be the handheld which you can try to replicate or it could be an outside interference causing an RF hit which should show both an AF and RF meter spike.
If you hear the noise but don't see an AF spike on the receiver then the noise is getting in somewhere after the mic receiver.
Any other 100 series handhelds around?  You could swap capsules or even, if in the same freq range, swap HH MICDS and see if the noise follows the HH or not.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2015, 02:34:27 PM »

Debbie,
Watch the metering while testing and confirm that the noise is coming from the receiver (watch the AF signal at the receiver) audio input section.
If you see an AF hit and hear the noise it could be the handheld which you can try to replicate or it could be an outside interference causing an RF hit which should show both an AF and RF meter spike.
If you hear the noise but don't see an AF spike on the receiver then the noise is getting in somewhere after the mic receiver.
Any other 100 series handhelds around?  You could swap capsules or even, if in the same freq range, swap HH MICDS and see if the noise follows the HH or not.

Lee

Don't have or know of anyone with the same model.
I am going to take my wireless mic this evening for her because I know I can trust it, I have the Audix OM5 RAD360 system and I like it a lot. That way if we don't get time to troubleshoot I can go straight for the Audix.

In fact - I'll check on mute right now…..

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 02:56:59 PM »

Hi Debbie-

If this "pop" is loud enough to make you worry about your speakers I think the problem could be somewhere else completely.... like in something using phantom power.  A non-phantom powered mic with intermittent connections of audio wiring generally doesn't make enough noise that I get concerned about the PA.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2015, 04:01:53 PM »

Hi Debbie-

If this "pop" is loud enough to make you worry about your speakers I think the problem could be somewhere else completely.... like in something using phantom power.  A non-phantom powered mic with intermittent connections of audio wiring generally doesn't make enough noise that I get concerned about the PA.

Normally Tim Id say this was entirely possible as I was using a condenser for O/H on the drums but everything points to the Senny mic.
1) At the venue last week with the in house system, after the sound guy swapped out the mic for a wired one, the popping disappeared.
2) It only happened last night when the mic was moved and
3) When we switched out the mic for a wired one, the popping went away.

I just did some checking - on mute - whilst making some crazy movements with the mic,  I could not replicate the pops. However, I probably should have tried this little test BEFORE I cleaned all the contacts and tightened everything. So I may have cured the problem for now.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2015, 11:30:29 PM »

Normally Tim Id say this was entirely possible as I was using a condenser for O/H on the drums but everything points to the Senny mic.
1) At the venue last week with the in house system, after the sound guy swapped out the mic for a wired one, the popping disappeared.
2) It only happened last night when the mic was moved and
3) When we switched out the mic for a wired one, the popping went away.

I just did some checking - on mute - whilst making some crazy movements with the mic,  I could not replicate the pops. However, I probably should have tried this little test BEFORE I cleaned all the contacts and tightened everything. So I may have cured the problem for now.

I am pretty sure that the EW100 is available with different mic elements on it. I think they usually come with the 835 head. And according to the 835 manual the windscreen or as they call it “the sound inlet basket” can be unscrewed.

I had an EW300 with the 865 head on it in my hands the other night and it was used by a woman that usually has a lot of lipstick on and there was a lot of it on the windscreen. I said that can clog up the windscreen and affect the sound. So I showed them how to unscrew the windscreen so they could clean it. When you unscrew the windscreen you can see the mic diaphragm in there. The 865 looks like it is suspended in there and if it is anything like some Shure mics that I have worked on the wires to the capsule can break or just come a little loose   

So I am not sure what mic head this wireless transmitter has on it but the windscreen should unscrew and you should be able to see inside there. And look for how it is wired and if anything is loose.

But as you said maybe cleaning what you did fixed it. But some vigorous shaking should make it fail if you didn’t fix it. Assuming it is a physical mic problem and not an intermittent RF problem. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2015, 11:30:29 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.