ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendation for rugged headset microphone?  (Read 2983 times)

Justin Goodman

Recommendation for rugged headset microphone?
« on: August 28, 2015, 12:39:44 AM »

Will be used for fitness instructors doing a lot of moving around so key requirements:
-Stays put well and doesn't require constant adjustment (massively distracting in class when the instructor has to keep adjusting their mic)
-Resistant to good amount of sweat
-Not terribly expensive... ideally
-Good sound quality ... music will be loud in the room (~90db or so) and instructors voice needs to cut through the recorded music.

My initial thought was to pull some Sennheiser G3 100 stuff I already have and getting a few Countryman H6 mics as each instructor would need their own.  But I've also heard that one needs to treat fitness mics as consumable and at the Countryman price, that's not viable.  The only other option that will work with my Sennheiser stuff is the equally expensive Sennheiser HSP4 ... and at the same price I think I'd go Countryman.

So I'm thinking of getting a Shure SLX system as the Shure connector seems to have more mic capsules available for purchase.  I'm thinking of the Crown CM311, though that's also a *bit* pricey as a consumable. 

I know Shure makes the SM31FH which is at the decidedly consumable price, but I've also heard some not so great things about the sound quality, and it doesn't look as stable as a model that attaches to both ears?

Any models I'm not considering?  Am I overstating how often the mics are going to crap out if they're used 5-6 classes per week for an hour each?  We could afford to do the Countryman mics as a one time expense, and I prefer the Sennheiser G3 to the Shure SLX, but can't afford to keep replacing them for 5-7 different instructors... 

I suppose I could always get an SLX system and try the SM31FH and move on to a higher end mic if they don't sound good... 

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Recommendation for rugged headset microphone?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 06:38:33 AM »

I don't care enough to be apathetic

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 10:30:16 AM »

And be sure to get the neoprene belt packs that enclose the transmitter to help avoid the sweat getting in the transmitter and destroying it.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 11:14:23 AM »

And be sure to get the neoprene belt packs that enclose the transmitter to help avoid the sweat getting in the transmitter and destroying it.

That'd be the WA570A. (Disclaimer: I am a Shure dealer. And I just sold one of these last night. Haha.)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1039516-REG/shure_blx14_sm31_h8_blx14_headset_system_with.html

I'm not a huge fan of the BLX series. I felt like they have RF drop outs sooner then I was expecting, but at the same time, for $300, you get what you pay for. However, you can purchase the SM31FH-TQG separately (as opposed to the package like Thomas linked to) for $99. So if you do want to get a better model of Shure, just get a package with receiver and bodypack transmitter, the WA570A and give it a go.

-Ray

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 01:32:55 PM »

The standard Sennheiser headset that comes with the G2/G3 systems is pretty tough. I've had some in use with dance instructors for years, and have seen them get saturated at times. If the instructor is not completely inept they are easy to fit, well enough that I have had teachers leave the building with them still on their head.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 01:32:55 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.