ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me choose a nice light effect for the band.  (Read 9618 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Help me choose a nice light effect for the band.
« on: August 27, 2015, 09:26:10 PM »

I use 8 Blizzard Q12's - 4 per side to wash the stage. I control them with wi-fi Luminair and I keep things simple - i like to blackout at the end of each song, bring up low light and blast back on at the start of the song and leave lights to slow chase and fade. Other than that I sometimes do a couple of faster flashy effects during solos etc.
However, I can't do much other than just flood the stage with light with what I have  ( and they do that very well) but I'd really like a couple of nice effects. Unsure what to choose. I want something simple but effective.

I want to concentrate on sound though which is the most important thing for us and not have to worry about the lights too much - that is why I leave them on chase for the most part and just hit instant change at start of verse/ chorus/ solo etc.

I know lights can get silly expensive and I don't want to make a huge investment or have to use trusses - there simply isn't usually time or space to do that -  but I was thinking maybe a tree of spots behind the drums.  I could bring them in to enhance certain parts of the show and maybe get myself a fazer to enhance the beams.
Don't want to spend the money on moving heads so…..
Does anyone have suggestions for me??

This set is well priced, easy set up and might be all I need:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/6SpotQIRC?adpos=1o1&creative=55686349801&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CPTd6JPPyscCFVM7gQodDWAEiQ
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
Re: Help me choose a nice light effect for the band.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 10:11:33 PM »

Debbie, instead of more front light, I suggest backlighting. Even lights on the floor can do a lot, if you don't want more stands or truss. Angle them across the stage for a more 3-D look instead of that flat look front light only gives. Get some RGBA lights and you should be in good shape. Flashy/blinky effects get rather tiresome in a hurry, IMO. If you get the same series of Blizzard lights, you will have more options to mix and match.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 10:32:51 PM »

I have a bunch of old rgb color splash jr fixtures that are not real great (but I have em).

I put some on plywood bases and we position them around the drum kit to light all the chrome. Sometimes we match colors with back lights and sometimes contrast.

Side washes can be done also with just a couple of fixtures on the deck or on a stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 01:54:24 PM »

Floor or tree mount from the rear. Consider a couple of "DJ" fixtures, such as the ADJ Revo 3 or even the Inno Pocket Spots. If you get a hazer these fixtures can add quite a bit without a major investment or complicated programming.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 03:59:05 PM »

Debbie, instead of more front light, I suggest backlighting. Even lights on the floor can do a lot, if you don't want more stands or truss. Angle them across the stage for a more 3-D look instead of that flat look front light only gives. Get some RGBA lights and you should be in good shape. Flashy/blinky effects get rather tiresome in a hurry, IMO. If you get the same series of Blizzard lights, you will have more options to mix and match.

Good idea. I have been very happy with my Q12's. Only thing is they are very bright and have widish beams - I was thinking maybe narrower beams with fazer might look nice aiming down and out from behind.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 04:00:20 PM »

I have a bunch of old rgb color splash jr fixtures that are not real great (but I have em).

I put some on plywood bases and we position them around the drum kit to light all the chrome. Sometimes we match colors with back lights and sometimes contrast.

Side washes can be done also with just a couple of fixtures on the deck or on a stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have a couple cheapee Chinese cans that I use in that way Rob. I set them up either side of the kit and they are a once effect. I just keep them on slow chase.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 04:02:17 PM »

Floor or tree mount from the rear. Consider a couple of "DJ" fixtures, such as the ADJ Revo 3 or even the Inno Pocket Spots. If you get a hazer these fixtures can add quite a bit without a major investment or complicated programming.

Do you mean just one per side perhaps on the floor?…Would that work for a band or be too DJ looking?

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 05:07:26 PM »

Hi Debbie,

How large of a stage do you typically work on?  Unless it's a very small venue that's pretty dark, the 6W LEDs won't be very effective.  Even the 10W versions I've seen can't hold a candle to the output of even entry level LED movers like most of the ADJ Inno series (not sure about the Inno Pocket Series - haven't seen them).  I agree with the others though - definitely mount the effects behind the talent and let them shine through some haze.  My personal go-to effect light for when I can't put up a truss of movers is a pair of the Martin EFX600, which is similar to the classic Wizard and has now been re-released as the Wizard Rush.  Amazing output and versatility from these units!  Great coverage too.  I believe ADJ makes a similar unit call the Warlock, though I haven't seen or used this.  Haze is a must with these types of fixtures, but really spectacular when used effectively.  Hope this helps!

-Jeff 

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 07:13:34 PM »

Good idea. I have been very happy with my Q12's. Only thing is they are very bright and have widish beams - I was thinking maybe narrower beams with fazer might look nice aiming down and out from behind.

I would much rather have bright lights that I can dim down to a good level than dim lights that don't provide enough illumination.  I have had clients tell me that they were really surprised how bright the ones they rented from me were, compared to what they owned, and how low a level they could be run at.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

John Fruits

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 08:04:38 PM »

Are bars in your state non-smoking? Used to be the audience provided plenty of haze. (Yep, old timer here).  Back in the day one of my standard effects was 500 watt fresnels on deck upstage.  The one in the middle had the lens removed and was behind the drummer backlighting him, great for drum solos, and yes the drummer always called them butt warmers.  The other lights were used for cross back lighting and I would change gels between sets.  These days I would try whatever you have to spare and see how it looks.  As far as moving lights, scanners would probably be more suitable for the bar band level.  The advantage is that there is less weight moving so light weight stands won't sway around as much as moving heads.  They are also lots cheaper.  I personally am very fond of Chauvet, they have gotten really good in the support department, and the new Rogue series is outstanding. (but way over kill for your intended use.
http://www.chauvetlighting.com/intimidator-scan-305-irc.html
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 08:04:38 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.