ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is mixing with a tablet ALWAYS a good idea?  (Read 17097 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: Is mixing with a tablet ALWAYS a good idea?
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2015, 05:07:28 AM »

The first time I got to use a Soundcraft Si, I stayed with it on stage to do monitors.  The FOH guy spent all day sat on the grass in the sunshine with an i-pad.  I could certainly see the benefit then!

Steve.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2015, 07:33:35 AM »

One was an ipad(?) for a Presonus.  The other was for a Mackie (not sure what model).  None of these gadgets belong to me (I use all analog gear).  I'm not opposed to using these gadgets while helping other bands; they may work for many people in various situations, but for me, these will not work at all... I get irritated and frustrated listening to people (not from this forum!) tell me how digital is "the" answer to everything and how the ipads are replacing everything.  -sigh-

Maybe the fact that the gear didn't belong to you and possibly wasn't maintained was part of the problem.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2015, 09:18:04 PM »

The simple solution could be the band giving you a set list with the solos marked by song. I mix a large R&B band and a large soul band regularly that have a ton of singers and horns. I know the bands and much of their music, but still I would never catch all the top notes of every solo without a guide of what to watch for. That's not the most reasonable thing to expect from an foh guy who hasn't worked the set before...

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2015, 06:49:47 AM »

The simple solution could be the band giving you a set list with the solos marked by song.

The most amateur band I've worked with to date is still the only one who's ever done this for me on their own. It was very helpful yet I've never had the foresight to ask anyone for one.

I'm glad you mentioned this. It needs to go on my advance check list. Probably really be helpful for the guitar player who's lead patch is quieter than their rhythm ones. (Of course they always end up compressed within an inch of their life anyway after about 2-3 songs.)
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2015, 10:23:17 PM »

The most amateur band I've worked with to date is still the only one who's ever done this for me on their own. It was very helpful yet I've never had the foresight to ask anyone for one.

I'm in Florida and I'm too young to know the deep cuts from the 50's bands that play the retirement homes. The marked set list is such an easy solution. You still will often miss the first note or too of the solo, but you catch much more than you would without.

Unless of course you are mixing doo wop where they seem to think they should pass the mics to a different singer each song. Ugh. They seem to think there should be a "lead mic" despite me explaining I have EQ'd all their mics differently for their unique voices. Oh well...

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2015, 11:32:14 AM »

I've been to several local shows over the past few months and the FOH guys have all spent the whole night mixing on a tablet. I can see where this would be a great idea in some cases but last night was an example of when NOT to do it. The band was a large funk band with 7-8 horns, 2 vocalists, and a full rhythm section. The band featured lots of solos from all the horn players, and the first part of each solo was nearly always inaudible. After watching the mixer I realized that he was constantly changing screens to mix, and wasn't very quick about responding to the rapid changes in the performance. Am I wrong in thinking that mixing a large ensemble on the fly that "freewheels" the whole night would be much easier on a full console rather than a small screen?

On a different note, if you're mixing a band that features a large horn section, it might be nice to actually hear the horns OVER the drums. Believe it or not, the trombone is an integral part of the sound, and the trumpets really are up there for a reason. I know the kick/snare sound is what you live for, but there's more to music than "boom" and "crash".......
Duane, the answer is 'No'.  No one way of mixing works in every situation.  I use an iPad most of the time when we are doing a local festival or local band, but if we are working in the tier 2 act range somebody who was somebody to someone at one time or another I have to have a mixer.

As far as horns you are 100% right, they are meant to be the frosting on the mix and should be heard.  Of course in all fairness I should state that I have a Music Performance degree with Trumpet being my instrument of choice.  The rest of the band is just there to support the trumpet solos...

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2015, 01:24:49 PM »

As far as horns you are 100% right, they are meant to be the frosting on the mix and should be heard.  Of course in all fairness I should state that I have a Music Performance degree with Trumpet being my instrument of choice.  The rest of the band is just there to support the trumpet solos...

Bill

Why do trombone players drink, gobble Advil and wear earplugs?

They sit in front of the trumpets.

What is a trumpet players favorite dynamic marking?

fffffu
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Chiara

« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2015, 01:48:10 AM »

fffffu

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-75vUtwbgAI

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2015, 08:40:59 AM »

fffffu

and again Mr. Rees nails it.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2015, 08:40:59 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 26 queries.