ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Intermittent ground loop issue  (Read 12022 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: Intermittent ground loop issue
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 12:05:59 AM »

...In some localities there's local inspectors who insist that the Ground-Neutral bonding screw should be installed in all subpanels, since that makes for a "better ground" ... But the journeyman told me that ALL the installations in that area inspected by this one inspector were wired with the extra bonding screws in every subpanel. So what do you do about a city inspector who makes installers violate code base on his own incorrect theories?

I think a letter to the state board that licenses electrical contractors and inspectors is in order. That's about all you CAN do.

But like you suggested, there are politics involved. If the inspector finds out who has challenged him, you may get no respect at all from him in the future.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Bob Taylor

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 05:05:10 PM »

I think a letter to the state board that licenses electrical contractors and inspectors is in order. That's about all you CAN do.

But like you suggested, there are politics involved. If the inspector finds out who has challenged him, you may get no respect at all from him in the future.

Now lets talk Frankly about our inspectors.

In Arizona, all but the city of Phoenix uses "One for All" inspectors. That means the guy was a Plumber, Framer or Roofer before he got this job as inspector. True they have to pass tests and take some classes, but as an Electrical Super for a contractor, i can say Iv'e seen amazing requirements, or they just ignore grounding issues.

Even some of the Electrical Engineers have no clue. Had one tie the Medium Voltage ground to the Low Voltage Ground at one facility. The Utility uses "Y" Transformers, which means the Ground is the current carrier back to the 69kV yard. Guess how much current flowed thru the grounds in that building.

What i would love to see is an Inspector/Engineer that understands Grounding, and how currents flow in them trying to get back to their source. As a weekend Warrior I've had to deal with lots of Ground Loops in various systems. I have solved them, but the inspector does cause some of the issues.

And i would say, If you don't understand all the dangers in grounding, don't start modifying your wiring. Hire someone qualified that specializes in Performance Spaces to help solve the issues correctly, and can take on the inspector when they are wrong. Remember the Lawyers are looking for their next case.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2015, 05:24:22 PM »

How much money would you need to save for a jury to feel like it was worth someone's life?
Another question is, would you go the the family of an injured or dead person and say you had done all you could to make it safe?
I don't care enough to be apathetic

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2015, 05:24:22 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.