ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless MIC Recommendation  (Read 4534 times)

Bill Schmitt

Wireless MIC Recommendation
« on: August 19, 2015, 01:00:24 AM »

I've been asked to research a good wireless pulpit mic.

The pastor wants the this wire mic, the type that is nearly invisible?

In another churche I've used something like a Sennheiser EW Wireless Lavalier. ...I'm not sure of the model, I didn't buy it, but it worked great. Good, clean sound without much EQ.

Your suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill

Thanks,
Bill

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 01:07:51 AM »

Your suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Jordan Wolf

Re: Wireless MIC Recommendation
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 06:52:06 PM »

Bill,

Are we talking wireless in the sense of there are no cables from the pulpit to plug in or wireless as in the pastor does not have to have any wires on their body?

I've been intrigued by the TOA AM-1 array microphone; other members' experiences with it have been very positive, and it looks to install cleanly.

For a truly "wireless" experience for most any microphone, you would have to use a wireless transmitter block - probably one that supplies phantom power (preferably at 48VDC, not just 12VDC) and really would want to change batteries for each use (my safety precaution). Still, I'd keep a wired mic around for backup - I never trust wireless anything 100%.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 02:32:25 AM »

I've been asked to research a good wireless pulpit mic.

The pastor wants the this wire mic, the type that is nearly invisible?

In another churche I've used something like a Sennheiser EW Wireless Lavalier. ...I'm not sure of the model, I didn't buy it, but it worked great. Good, clean sound without much EQ.

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest a Sennheiser ew 122 G3 wireless lavalier system with bodypack transmitter, street price around $650. The ew 100 G3 series is a solid, mid-range product that is respected by demanding professionals but still affordable for most budgets. http://en-us.sennheiser.com/clip-on-lavalier-microphones-wireless-set-presentation-ew-122-g3

This will come with a lavalier (tie clip) mic, but you'll want to replace it with a thinline earset microphone. There are a few popular options available:

Other options may be available; these are the ones I'm familiar with. I only have personal experience with Countryman and A/T. In my own kit I have the A/T, but if I were to do it over I'd probably get the Countryman or the MM. The sound quality of the A/T is fine, but I've found that getting it to fit securely over the ear, especially if it's used by multiple people, is very difficult.

Each of these can be ordered with termination (plug) compatible with your particular wireless system.

EDIT: When you install your wireless system, if the congregation is between the transmitter and the receiver, you can get dropouts. The receiver either needs to be elevated above a standing congregation or place up near the pulpit (in front of the congregation). If the distance between transmitter and receiver is less than 50 feet, you *might* get away with placing the receiver behind the congregation.

This is not an indictment on the quality of the wireless system. All wireless systems regardless of cost or quality are subject to the same laws of physics, which state that human bodies are very effective RF shields.

If you must remote mount the receiver, consider the ew 500 G3 series, which adds an Ethernet connection for remote monitoring and settings changes. (~$1050)

I have three sets of Sennheiser ew 100 G2 wireless. Each transmitter uses two AA batteries, and I get a full 8 hours of use with a set of fresh alkaline batteries.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 02:56:49 AM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Darren Aitcheson

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 03:17:05 AM »

There are a few popular options available:

Other options may be available; these are the ones I'm familiar with.

Add the Rode HS1 to that list (another mic around $300) - we use it as well as one of the MM mics. The pastors much prefer the Rode as it's far more comfortable and adjustable. And the sound quality is noticeably better than the MM - but then again, it should be, given that it costs almost twice as much.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 03:17:05 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 24 queries.