ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Line Six unexplained interference  (Read 8348 times)

John Rutirasiri

Re: Line Six unexplained interference
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 10:38:10 PM »

What am I overlooking?

Was there an outdoor Wireless Access Point (WAP -- high powered WiFi repeater) in the area?  These things are very potent...some easily have 1000ft line of sight range, and there are often multiple units for seamless coverage.

What about WiFi-enabled mixers?

Just throwing some ideas around.

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 11:22:13 PM »

I too am looking to ditch my L6 units. I have been having nothing but issues as of late. 4 years ago they were flawless and they get worse every time I use them it seems. I only have two and I run them in RF1 to no avail. I am happy if I can get 25' with no issues these days. I have tried every antenna combination I can think of, hi and low power ( low should be best for short distances ) and I just can't get a flawless performance form them anymore.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 03:54:00 AM »

I too am looking to ditch my L6 units. I have been having nothing but issues as of late. 4 years ago they were flawless and they get worse every time I use them it seems. I only have two and I run them in RF1 to no avail. I am happy if I can get 25' with no issues these days. I have tried every antenna combination I can think of, hi and low power ( low should be best for short distances ) and I just can't get a flawless performance form them anymore.
How do you place the antennas?

In the early days when wifi wasn't too crowded antenna placement wasn't as crusial as it is today.

On a normal stage today everyone has a smartphone in their pocket, ipads mounted at the mic stand, the wifi enabled computer(s) controlling the mixer and the audience each having their smartphones as well.

Oh, and the best ones of them all. People putting their phones and ipads on the rack where the recievers are mounted together with the iem-transmitters and wifi-routers and with the antennas rackmounted at waist height so that the rf-signal gets blocked by the waterbags.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 08:09:06 AM »

Was there an outdoor Wireless Access Point (WAP -- high powered WiFi repeater) in the area?  These things are very potent...some easily have 1000ft line of sight range, and there are often multiple units for seamless coverage.

What about WiFi-enabled mixers?

Just throwing some ideas around.

John R.

No wifi mixers (Peavey powered mixer).

I would have thought a hi powered access point should have shown up on my tablet-the only reason for one in this location would be public access at the fair, so it shouldn't be hidden.  We were in the southwest corner of the fairgrounds on the southwest edge of town with nothing the other direction than miles of cornfield-towards town just the fairground for 1/2 a mile or better.

"Back home" with no configuration changes we haven't had drop outs.  Having weird issues with battery life.  I know Don doesn't understand the Apple watch theory-nor do I.  Pastor used one mic (in his left hand) during an interview portion at our missions conference and that mic died completely (powered off) with less than 2 hours on new Procells.  We replaced them at a convenient point-and after another 2 hours when he didn't use the mic that mic still had plenty of battery life.  It doesn't make sense-but none the less a suspicious coincidence.
Steve Swaffer

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 07:06:56 PM »

I know Don doesn't understand the Apple watch theory-nor do I.  Pastor used one mic (in his left hand) during an interview portion at our missions conference and that mic died completely (powered off) with less than 2 hours on new Procells.  We replaced them at a convenient point-and after another 2 hours when he didn't use the mic that mic still had plenty of battery life.  It doesn't make sense-but none the less a suspicious coincidence.
Apple Watch uses 2.4GHz b/g/n WiFi that pretty much everything WiFi these day use (which I'm sure there were thousands that day.)  It also uses the Qi wireless charging standard, which modulates a low bit rate data stream onto the 110KHz charging freq.  But the Pastor was wearing the watch, so it was not charging.  Bad Procells?

I did a festival last summer where for some reason, Verizon hotspots were prevalent.  Some did not broadcast their SSID so I never saw them.  It really interfered with the our WiFi lighting control, so much that we were getting a few seconds lag.

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 07:13:50 PM »

Apple Watch uses 2.4GHz b/g/n WiFi that pretty much everything WiFi these day use (which I'm sure there were thousands that day.)  It also uses the Qi wireless charging standard, which modulates a low bit rate data stream onto the 110KHz charging freq.  But the Pastor was wearing the watch, so it was not charging.  Bad Procells?

I did a festival last summer where for some reason, Verizon hotspots were prevalent.  Some did not broadcast their SSID so I never saw them.  It really interfered with the our WiFi lighting control, so much that we were getting a few seconds lag.

John R.
Having a radio (iWatch) in close proximity to another radio (w/l mic) is a recipe for disaster. I've seen many cases where iDevices send "tone bursts" at regular intervals which mess up other devices (I've seen it ruin takes in a studio many times). Surely, the Pastor can live without his iThingy while the service is happening.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 02:06:39 AM »

How do you place the antennas?

In the early days when wifi wasn't too crowded antenna placement wasn't as crusial as it is today.

The way the scheme works with Line 6 wireless, wi-if itself rarely bothers these systems ( with the exception of intentional jammers, which are illegal but a common practice especially in some hotels. What does bother them is getting an unintentional transmitter too close to the Line 6 receiver's antennas and overloading the receiver's front  end. So if you are using the whip antennas it is easy enough for this to happen. But if you use the paddles and split them 10 feet apart it is much more difficult for that to happen.

But back to the topic ... Unexplained audio interference.  About the only way that can happen it to create it in the mic element or cable if a Lav mic before it hits any electronics or to penetrate the analog section of the receiver or more commonly the output cable if you have low CCMR.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 02:09:44 AM by Don Boomer »
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

Luke Geis

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 04:39:26 PM »

I place the antennas on the L6 unit............ I'm kidding of course. I try putting the receivers as high and as direct LOS. as possible. Even this is not enough it seems these days. However I did a show this weekend with them for a wedding and for the first time in a long time, I had zero issues with them. LOS seems to help, but is not the cure all. If there is a wifi router in the area running in 2.4ghz, I find it difficult to find clean channels and diversity goes down once people utilizing the wifi start to come en mass. It becomes murky waters in a hurry.

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2015, 06:06:08 PM »

If there is a wifi router in the area running in 2.4ghz, I find it difficult to find clean channels and diversity goes down once people utilizing the wifi start to come en mass. It becomes murky waters in a hurry.

Are you thinking this because it is what you are seeing when you scan for channels?  Which models and firmware are you running.  if you are running V75 units and/or V2.x firmware the scanner is only reporting RF2 mode interference and is showing nothing relative to RF1 mode channels.

Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

Luke Geis

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 03:44:40 PM »

I have an V75 and the predecessor to it both on the latest firmware ( to which I am considering rolling back ). I run in RF1 mode as it seems to be the most stable. I find that when 6-7 of the 12-14 available channels are eaten up with RF activity, it doesn't matter which mode I am in, I experience a dropout, or extreme lack of range.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 03:44:40 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.