ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Line Six unexplained interference  (Read 8489 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Line Six unexplained interference
« on: August 03, 2015, 09:42:12 PM »

We have used a set of 5 Line 6 handhelds for several years-I am fairly comfortable with the potential pitfalls (ie WiFi interference)-but am stumped on this one, looking to learn a bit more.

Sunday we had our service at the county fairgrounds, an annual event going back long before we owned the Line Six.  I have never had an issue using them there-the fairgrounds are on the edge of a small town-cornfields on 2 sides.  This year there were 2 differences.  First we were in a tent in a slightly different location instead of under a metal roofed show arena, second 2 other groups were using fairgrounds.  We were at least 600 feet from anyone outside our church, but in both services I experienced severe drop outs rendering the mics almost useless. 

On Sunday night (the worst of the two), inSSIDer showed one very weak phone hotspot on channel 11-and no other activity.  Receivers had clear line of sight roughly 50 feet from platform. It is possible that a smartphone or two was closer than usual-but that has not been a problem in the past-or at church where another tech routinely has a smart phone in close proximity to the receivers.  Fortunately, I had a Shure UHF system as a backup.

What am I overlooking?

Steve Swaffer

Rich Grisier

• Erie, PA
Re: Line Six unexplained interference
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 02:08:03 PM »

I don't have much advice to offer... maybe try RF1 mode over RF2.  Enable Hi Power as well.

I just want to say I had a similar experience a few weeks ago.  I run three units (two guitar wireless, one vocal mic) in RF2 mode all in a rack chained together to work off the same two antennas.  We were playing in a pretty wifi-less area.  When I did a channel scan there was only one channel that came up as being used, Ch 6.  For some reason we had an incredible amount of drop outs.  Things would be fine for 20 mins and then we would get a rash of drop outs.  I was within 3' of the rack and the singer was within 10' so it wasn't a range problem.

In sharp contrast to this, we played a venue this past weekend where the channel scan revealed NO open channels.  I picked channels 2, 4, and 9 and hoped for the best.  Results were good- not a single drop out all night.  Distance was about the same as before- I was 3' from the rack and the singer was 10' from it.

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 04:04:38 PM »

We have used a set of 5 Line 6 handhelds for several years-I am fairly comfortable with the potential pitfalls (ie WiFi interference)-but am stumped on this one, looking to learn a bit more.

Sunday we had our service at the county fairgrounds, an annual event going back long before we owned the Line Six.  I have never had an issue using them there-the fairgrounds are on the edge of a small town-cornfields on 2 sides.  This year there were 2 differences.  First we were in a tent in a slightly different location instead of under a metal roofed show arena, second 2 other groups were using fairgrounds.  We were at least 600 feet from anyone outside our church, but in both services I experienced severe drop outs rendering the mics almost useless. 

On Sunday night (the worst of the two), inSSIDer showed one very weak phone hotspot on channel 11-and no other activity.  Receivers had clear line of sight roughly 50 feet from platform. It is possible that a smartphone or two was closer than usual-but that has not been a problem in the past-or at church where another tech routinely has a smart phone in close proximity to the receivers.  Fortunately, I had a Shure UHF system as a backup.

What am I overlooking?

1) inSSIDer only recognizes WiFi, Bluetooth and ZigBee compliant devices. It can't identify other transmission schemes, most notably other Line 6 devices, other wireless mic/instrument systems, wireless intercom and wireless DMX lighting control. I suspect the RF environmental noise floor was higher than you thought it was.

2) How good was the antenna on the WiFi radio the inSSIDer was using and how was it deployed?

3) Was the antenna and coax used for the Line 6 receivers tested and known to be in proper working order?
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 04:35:03 PM »

it would be helpful to know;

Which model Line6?

Which RF mode you were operating in and that all units were positively in that mode. If one unit got switched to the other mode of if someone else was using Line 6 systems in another mode they won't work properly.

Describe your antenna setup?  paddles?  Antenna outs terminations?

Any other intentional transmitters (at any frequency) being operated within 6 feet or your receiver'so antennas (eg IEMs, coms, walking-talkies, video, etc)
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 06:37:29 PM »

XD V75

Factory supplied antenna, factory coax, and terminations.

These are racked together, I literally unplugged XLR s( 8channel short snake that I took with me) and the powerstrip with power supplies and set it down next to the Peavey powered mixer I was using.  Same configuration we have been using for years-and no one else touched the mics.

The only possible sources I know of:  1). goat show had a PA not sure what  if any wireless they wire using but  they were at least 1000 feet away inside a metal building. 2.)  Cell tower roughly 3/4 of a mile away-but clear line of  sight.  3.) Internal oscillator on Peavey powered mixer?  Not sure of the model, newer with built on effects-that was next to Line 6, but not blocking line of sight to tx. 

No IEMs, no DMX no transmitters of any kind within 600 feet-other than attendees cell phones.

Internal antenna on tablet for inSSIDer-admittedly a weak link.

We were effectively  in the middle of  field.  What kind of distance can legal 2.4 G devices cause interference at?
Steve Swaffer

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 11:04:28 AM »

Old thread-but maybe info will help others.  No definitive solution yet-but pastor was given a new Apple watch a few weeks ago-been wearing it every since.  Last Sunday, the mic closest to his left wrist as he was standing at the pulpit starting flashing dead battery (with under 2 hours on the batteries).  Self corrected as soon as he walked away and took a seat.  Battery life on the 2 mics that live on stands closest to his left hand have had battery life issues the last several services-so I am very suspicious.
Steve Swaffer

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 02:27:55 PM »

Battery life on the 2 mics that live on stands closest to his left hand have had battery life issues the last several services-so I am very suspicious.

Don't know about an Apple watch,  but as a general best practice you would like to keep any 2 transmitters a bit distant from each other.  But it shouldn't cause audio interference although it could cause dropouts (unless it is getting into the mic element itself).  Otherwise any interference entering the system has to generate the exact encrypted code to create audio.

But if you have transmitters that don't last for 8 hours with new alkaline batteries then you do have a problem with those mics so I would recommend you solve that first.  Have you ever truly measured the battery life with an external timer?  What firmware rev are you running?  All V1.x revs turn of the Red battery LED with 2 hours of battery left.  Once you prove to yourself that you do have a better issue then you need to send the units back to Line 6 for service.
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 03:14:55 PM »

I have several Line6 mics and I am moving away from them as well.  The battery meters on mine are poorly calibrated - the meters run down very quickly and then taper off for a long time.  Batteries that show 2:40 remaining on the meter test at about 80% using an external tester.

I'm also tired of the dropouts (yes I use external paddles and have switched back to RF1 both of which help but don't completely solve the issue) and the sensitivity to picking up noise from a cell phone in the user's pocket.  When they work they sound great.  I'm just tired of the gymnastics to make them work.

I've had better luck with Shure QLX-D.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 07:00:20 PM »

If I remember correctly line6 only recommends four xd-v75's daisychained without the antenna distro. The number for xd-v70 is six units.

Also, you say that they are terminated. However, the xd-v75 auto-terminates and should not be end terminated like the xd-v70.

XD V75

Factory supplied antenna, factory coax, and terminations.

These are racked together, I literally unplugged XLR s( 8channel short snake that I took with me) and the powerstrip with power supplies and set it down next to the Peavey powered mixer I was using.  Same configuration we have been using for years-and no one else touched the mics.

The only possible sources I know of:  1). goat show had a PA not sure what  if any wireless they wire using but  they were at least 1000 feet away inside a metal building. 2.)  Cell tower roughly 3/4 of a mile away-but clear line of  sight.  3.) Internal oscillator on Peavey powered mixer?  Not sure of the model, newer with built on effects-that was next to Line 6, but not blocking line of sight to tx. 

No IEMs, no DMX no transmitters of any kind within 600 feet-other than attendees cell phones.

Internal antenna on tablet for inSSIDer-admittedly a weak link.

We were effectively  in the middle of  field.  What kind of distance can legal 2.4 G devices cause interference at?

Martin Primus

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 02:43:19 PM »

I have several Line6 mics and I am moving away from them as well.  The battery meters on mine are poorly calibrated - the meters run down very quickly and then taper off for a long time.  Batteries that show 2:40 remaining on the meter test at about 80% using an external tester.

I'm also tired of the dropouts (yes I use external paddles and have switched back to RF1 both of which help but don't completely solve the issue) and the sensitivity to picking up noise from a cell phone in the user's pocket.  When they work they sound great.  I'm just tired of the gymnastics to make them work.

I've had better luck with Shure QLX-D.

Getting close to the same boat with the Line 6 gear my band has been using for a few years.  I moved my wireless tablet mixing functionality to the 5 ghz wifi band to get some stability in that capacity.  Lately the amount of RF in the 2.4 band is just becoming a complete PITA to deal with.  Used to be running in RF1 mode the other traffic wouldn't matter as the Line 6 gear would "win" and I had rock solid performance over long distances with no issues in almost every venue we played.  Now I'm pretty consistently seeing what equates to 3-4 bars of (red) RF, and the scan on my G90 shows widespread RF across all available channels in most places.

It gets frustrating when getting our lead singer's xd-v75 to work more than 10 ft from the receiver is a problem.  Seems like going to a different wireless solution may be the only option as more and more "stuff" gets pushed into the 2.4 space. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 02:43:19 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.