ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX828SP  (Read 26018 times)

Mike Sullivan

JBL SRX828SP
« on: August 02, 2015, 01:39:32 PM »

I'm thinking about doing a SRX800 system for my larger gigs.  Wanting to do 2-4 SRX835's over 2-4 SRX828SP's depending on show size (anything larger and I have access to an RCF line array).  I know the 835 is supposed to be a great box, and since it is a 60x40 it will array easier to do 2 per side.  As far as the sub though how does it stand out versus, say a properly powered SRX728?  I've been trying to stick with RCF and if the subs are not up to par I would get what I had already planned to get previous (which would be some dB DVA subs, probably 1521N's) but if the 828's will stick up for their price I may not worry so much about it.  (Yes, I might like having a lot of low end)
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: JBL SRX828SP
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 10:36:49 PM »

Strange that I read this question over and over, but perhaps that's because of the SRX reputation for being a quality pro level cabinet series. The 800 series is no exception and is a small step up from the SRX700. The drivers being used, 2242, is a proven JBL design, proven to the point I had no problem paying $1100 each for a pair when it came time to replace a pair of 18" drivers 5-6 years ago. The subs I used the 2242 replacements in are still a part of my system, and those subs work side by side with SRX718s. There is little or no difference in the power handling capabilities between the two drivers, the 2242 or 2268. The difference is that the 2242 will work at lower frequencies. This alone is a compliment to the 718s. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of the 800 series cabinets, powered or not. They'll do the job, and they'll do that job very, very well.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 11:41:52 PM »

Strange that I read this question over and over, but perhaps that's because of the SRX reputation for being a quality pro level cabinet series. The 800 series is no exception and is a small step up from the SRX700. The drivers being used, 2242, is a proven JBL design, proven to the point I had no problem paying $1100 each for a pair when it came time to replace a pair of 18" drivers 5-6 years ago. The subs I used the 2242 replacements in are still a part of my system, and those subs work side by side with SRX718s. There is little or no difference in the power handling capabilities between the two drivers, the 2242 or 2268. The difference is that the 2242 will work at lower frequencies. This alone is a compliment to the 718s. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of the 800 series cabinets, powered or not. They'll do the job, and they'll do that job very, very well.

Bob, If you are referring to the drivers in the SRX828's, they are 2279F's...I wish they were 2242's

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 07:07:58 AM »

My bad. I was thinking STX series. Still, the 2279 is at least the equal of them both in the mechanical sense, and although I've limited experience with the powered SRX800 series subs I was left with a good impression.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 08:26:06 AM »

I'm thinking about doing a SRX800 system for my larger gigs.  Wanting to do 2-4 SRX835's over 2-4 SRX828SP's depending on show size (anything larger and I have access to an RCF line array).  I know the 835 is supposed to be a great box, and since it is a 60x40 it will array easier to do 2 per side.  As far as the sub though how does it stand out versus, say a properly powered SRX728?  I've been trying to stick with RCF and if the subs are not up to par I would get what I had already planned to get previous (which would be some dB DVA subs, probably 1521N's) but if the 828's will stick up for their price I may not worry so much about it.  (Yes, I might like having a lot of low end)
The SRX828SP is a solid sub and is favorably comparable to the much-loved SRX728. They are very similar to each other, and the new SRX adds a few features that the old passive ones lacked - network control, mainly. I wouldn't hesitate. These things are solid performers.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

jim whitmer

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 10:41:43 AM »

Waiting to hear these myself.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why JBL does not put pole cups on these subs (and many of their others).

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 11:11:51 AM »

For the life of me I cannot figure out why JBL does not put pole cups on these subs (and many of their others).

JBL decided to settle in The Station nightclub fire because they used "foam" in the loudspeaker surrounds of the club's DJ rig speakers.  "Foam" was what spread the pyrotechnic-induced fire and contributed to the toxic fumes that overcame some of the victims.  JBL's contribution to the total amount of foam?  A few ounces, compared to the many pounds of it above the stage.  JBL settled for 6 figures rather than risk millions if a jury couldn't understand that 4 ounces of foam enclosed in speaker cabinets away from the pyro wouldn't have contributed to the initial fire.

By not putting pole cups on these subs, JBL is very unlikely to be held liable if something were to tip over or fall onto a person.  It's about liability for the stupidity of their customers and the propensity to sue on the part of the public.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

jim whitmer

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 11:26:44 AM »

Hmm, I haven't noticed any other major players avoiding cups.

So JBL shifts the liability to  my tiny company if an idiot climbs on top of a stack. Thumbs down to them.

Not being able to stand them up and put poles in them is a deal breaker for most of my venues.

Back to topic. Sorry for the swerve!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 11:35:07 AM »

Hmm, I haven't noticed any other major players avoiding cups.

So JBL shifts the liability to  my tiny company if an idiot climbs on top of a stack. Thumbs down to them.

Not being able to stand them up and put poles in them is a deal breaker for most of my venues.

Back to topic. Sorry for the swerve!

JBL does NOT shift liability to your "tiny company" because they don't install a pole cup.  The presence of the cup indicates that the manufacturer warrants the product to be "safe" when used as shipped. Because system owners can then misdeploy the product (use it on unstable or uneven surfaces, over load it, use it with other products not anticipated by JBL, etc) or they present an attractive nuisance (drunks and band members like to climb on them and swing from the poles, or run into them, JBL chooses to removed themselves from such deployments.

Your little company would be less likely a target in a suit because you don't have any money (are you insured for pubic liability?), but JBL carries $millions worth of insurance and is would be the big target for lawyers.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 12:28:18 PM »

The SRX818SP single 18 has pole cups (M20 threaded), as do both subs in the PRX7xx line, and the VRX, as well. Someone isn't doing their homework.

EDIT: Honestly, it's much better than standard pole cups.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 12:43:24 PM by Scott Wagner »
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 12:28:18 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 25 queries.