ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rigging certification  (Read 1729 times)

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
Rigging certification
« on: August 01, 2015, 09:38:40 AM »

I see a lot of post stating only a certified rigger should be hanging speakers. What would be considered the minimum requirement for rigging certification for our industry? I see a lot of certification programs that require so many hours of internship as well as programs geared for the construction trades.

Having to intern for a couple hundred hours does not seem very practical for the small operator, however I do not want to be hanging speakers without some type of certification in case of  an injury claim, and of course I never want to put some one else at risk, period.

Suggestions, thoughts?
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Rigging certification
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 11:09:37 AM »

I see a lot of post stating only a certified rigger should be hanging speakers. What would be considered the minimum requirement for rigging certification for our industry? I see a lot of certification programs that require so many hours of internship as well as programs geared for the construction trades.

Having to intern for a couple hundred hours does not seem very practical for the small operator, however I do not want to be hanging speakers without some type of certification in case of  an injury claim, and of course I never want to put some one else at risk, period.

Suggestions, thoughts?

The ETCP is our industry certification program.  IIRC they maintain a list of persons passing the exam, and they issue a card to them.  Ask to see it.

Of greater importance is to have any structural attachment designed and/or specified by a registered professional engineer.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 11:11:48 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

AllenDeneau

• Cookeville, TN / Nashville, TN
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 11:11:14 AM »

Suggestions, thoughts?

The sad reality is that the majority of people doing the rigging aren't certified...

The ETCP rigging cert is the only certification I know of and the one to get IF you want to rig, in the entertainment world, for a living. It's grueling to say the least. I believe you need 30 points to take the text and it's 100 hours of rigging = 1 point.
Allen D.
Sound | DJ | Lighting

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 11:11:14 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.