ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Cadence or Eminence speakers?  (Read 11846 times)

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
Cadence or Eminence speakers?
« on: July 31, 2015, 11:31:26 AM »

Hello everyone,
I'm hoping to see if any of you have experience with replacing your speakers (EV, Carvin, etc) with Cadent speakers, more specifically the subwoffer 4ohm speakers they offer model DPW18-5000 S4 or simply stick with the OEM drivers.

On paper they look good and I'm debating (and trying) to see if they are just as good as the Eminence Omega Pro 18C?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 03:53:05 PM by Sam Costa »
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
Re: Cadent speakers?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 07:15:29 AM »

Hello everyone,
I'm hoping to see if any of you have experience with replacing your speakers (EV, Carvin, etc) with Cadent speakers, more specifically the subwoffer 4ohm speakers they offer model DPW18-5000 S4?

On paper they look good and I'm debating (and trying) to see if they are just as good as the Eminence Omega Pro 18C?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Wow, nobody? interesting.... lol
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 09:04:26 AM »

That might be a good message. I, for one, have never heard of them.
For me, I use OEM drivers if needed or if building, one of the major established brands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 09:34:57 AM »

"I'm Bart Simpson, who the hell are Cadent?"  /satire
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Thomas Le

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 10:22:25 AM »

Why do you need to replace drivers in the first place? Just plopping in random drivers will affect the output and most of the time will never sound the same as the OEM drivers.

A quick search turns out nothing, vaporware...

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 10:43:46 AM »

Why do you need to replace drivers in the first place? Just plopping in random drivers will affect the output and most of the time will never sound the same as the OEM drivers.

A quick search turns out nothing, vaporware...

Maybe because they're not called Cadent at all, but rather Cadence. Not sure where Mr Costa got that from....  :-\

Driver in question: looks like a fugly car thing to me and has rather incomplete specs (no indication of excursion capabilities for example) so I just wouldn't touch them.

Edit: I wouldn't touch them, unless they only cost 50-odd bucks each and I had a lot of free time on my hands - am somewhat curious to find out exactly how they'd sound and how long they'd last if hit with a true 5000W (peak) amplifier  ;)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 10:50:02 AM by David Morison »

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 11:12:39 AM »

That brand looks as though it is aimed at idiots in the car audio market who will buy speakers based on looks alone. Some of the specs on the spec sheet look to be exaggerated or a bit fishy.

For example...
BL = 19.2 (lifting force of voice coil) looks to be much more powerful than the Eminence at 13.4.
Qms = 2.04 (holding strength of the surround and spider or their resistance to BL) The Eminence has a stiffer/stronger surround at 6.41 which helps to keep the voice coil from jumping out of the magnet gap.
A high BL combined with a low (weak) Qms means that extremely high voltages may cause the cone to go flying across the room. :D I just don't see it holding together at 5,000 watts.

The graph on the spec sheet looks a little odd too. Part of the legend denotes "Phase", but it does not give any corresponding plot axis. Could this be an impedance curve? If so, wouldn't it show its lightest ohm load at or near the Fs/Fo frequency? It doesn't seem to jive with anything.

I have a hard time believing that RMS works out to be 2,500 watts. Generally, RMS is in line with "Continuous" which is about 1/4th of Peak rating. Even Eminences' most powerful 18" woofers are at half of that. Cadence even has some speakers on their site that are rated at 10,000 Watts peak. Oh, please! Give me a break.

But I am no speaker expert. I am still learning.

I've never heard of them either. I'm just saying, I would stick with known brands or at least new brands with plenty of solid reviews.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 11:20:42 AM by Gordon Brinton »
Member since 2005.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 01:16:22 PM »

It must be good, it's got 'PRO' written on it.

Steve.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 01:18:27 PM »

That brand looks as though it is aimed at idiots in the car audio market who will buy speakers based on looks alone. Some of the specs on the spec sheet look to be exaggerated or a bit fishy.

For example...
BL = 19.2 (lifting force of voice coil) looks to be much more powerful than the Eminence at 13.4.
Qms = 2.04 (holding strength of the surround and spider or their resistance to BL) The Eminence has a stiffer/stronger surround at 6.41 which helps to keep the voice coil from jumping out of the magnet gap.
A high BL combined with a low (weak) Qms means that extremely high voltages may cause the cone to go flying across the room. :D I just don't see it holding together at 5,000 watts.

The graph on the spec sheet looks a little odd too. Part of the legend denotes "Phase", but it does not give any corresponding plot axis. Could this be an impedance curve? If so, wouldn't it show its lightest ohm load at or near the Fs/Fo frequency? It doesn't seem to jive with anything.

I have a hard time believing that RMS works out to be 2,500 watts. Generally, RMS is in line with "Continuous" which is about 1/4th of Peak rating. Even Eminences' most powerful 18" woofers are at half of that. Cadence even has some speakers on their site that are rated at 10,000 Watts peak. Oh, please! Give me a break.

But I am no speaker expert. I am still learning.

I've never heard of them either. I'm just saying, I would stick with known brands or at least new brands with plenty of solid reviews.
Or what about the freq response graph that has lines-but no scale?

Is it 1dB/division or 10?

How can it "look good on paper" when you don't know what is being shown?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John L Nobile

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 02:02:46 PM »

Why are we questioning the specs? In the world of car audio they are spot on.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 02:02:46 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.