ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: System spec for 1000 people???  (Read 14671 times)

Chris Edwards

Re: System spec for 1000 people???
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 07:49:08 PM »

Alright folks.  The point of this thread was something I could refer over people from the other forum to.  I figured reading responses from actual sound reinforcement professionals rather than the usual marketing jargon the Bose reps regurgitate in the responses would be eye opening to them.  Thank you to all the responded so far.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 09:33:56 PM »

Keep in mind Chris that you may read any number of us stating that system "X" will support a specific number of people. This number is generally the number of people who would occupy an estimated amount of space. We do the approximate math in our heads which equals the space that many people would normally occupy. The type music, the venue, etc. ALWAYS determines the system size and type, and thank you for asking our opinions.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 10:03:11 PM »

Hi Chris-

Nothing beats a practical demonstration.  Is the F1 shipping yet?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 11:58:41 AM »

As said earlier-it is NOT the number of people-but rather a particular SPL at a particular distance. 

What if only 20 people show up-but they want to "party" 150' from the stage?  Would you use the same system as if they were up against the stage or inside your house?

NO-The number of people is the same-but the distance and environment are different.

Number of people is an easy thing for people to grasp.  Chances are, you're not going to be designing a system for 20 people 150 feet from the stage, but to play along, the system needed for 20 people versus the same space with 1000 people would be significantly different, simply due to the increased ambient noise that would need to be overcome with the larger crowd.

No, it's not perfect to simply spec a system based on crowd size, but it's an easy to understand concept for the untrained ear.
Brian Jojade

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 12:11:26 PM »

Number of people is an easy thing for people to grasp.  Chances are, you're not going to be designing a system for 20 people 150 feet from the stage, but to play along, the system needed for 20 people versus the same space with 1000 people would be significantly different, simply due to the increased ambient noise that would need to be overcome with the larger crowd.

No, it's not perfect to simply spec a system based on crowd size, but it's an easy to understand concept for the untrained ear.
Sorry-but I disagree.

If you have 1000 people who are seated at 8' round tables, the area to be covered is much larger (at least 6-10dB larger-double to triple the size) than the same 1000 people crammed up against a stage.

And by "cover" what EXACTLY does that mean?  That they can hear?

Or that the front to back difference in level is some amount of dB?  What would be the acceptable dB difference?

I have done quite a few shows, in which there were thousands of people in attendance-and nobody was within 100' of the stage.

The coverage for that requirement is quite different than if they were WITHIN the first 100' of the stage.

I'm sorry, it is NOT the number of people, but rather the AREA that needs to be considered.

If you design for area, then you can put whatever number of people you want in it and the sound will be the same.

If you design for the number of people, if they spread out-you could be in trouble-if they are expecting a certain SPL at their location.

With ANY design, you FIRST have to define the size of the audience and the desired SPL, with acceptable headroom.

YOUR opinion of how large an area 1000 people take up may be quite different than somebody else.  But an area 200' deep x 100' wide is not up for debate.

Is your audience deep and narrow? or shallow and wide?

VERY different approaches are needed for those different setups.  Even though the "number of people" is the same.

Sorry for being picky, but DETAILS DO MATTER.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 02:30:26 PM »

Hi Chris-

Nothing beats a practical demonstration.  Is the F1 shipping yet?

Not shipping yet Tim, but the spec sheets and literature say nothing about large venues, or do they mention anything about using the sub upper cabinet as anything more than a single combo. The sub goes to 40hz with a max output of 130db, same as the upper box. But, as the literature states, the system is good for "mobile DJs, conferences, any style band." Glorified L1 system in my opinion. 1000 people? Not a snowballs chance in hell.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 06:03:46 PM »

This reminds me of the old Tech Rider standard "10 watts per person"
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 08:39:18 PM »

Exactly, WTF is 10 watts per person, as if they count heads coming into the gate then check the amplifier ratings.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 08:43:36 PM »

Exactly, WTF is 10 watts per person, as if they count heads coming into the gate then check the amplifier ratings.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 08:44:59 PM »

I remember things like that back in the 80s.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 08:44:59 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.