ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IEMs for Monitoring  (Read 3603 times)

Phil_Michaels

IEMs for Monitoring
« on: July 30, 2015, 09:16:11 AM »

Hi All,

Just wondered what IEMs you are all using as monitor engineer?

At the moment I have Shure SE315s, which I find incredibly tiring to use over a long period of time.

I'd probably want to avoid custom moulds simply due to cost. I don't want to lose a months salary when they go missing :)

If anything, the most important feature for me would be a non-fatiguing IEM, as I use them for a few hours at a time.

Suggestions appreciated !

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: IEMs for Monitoring
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 10:13:51 AM »

I'd probably want to avoid custom moulds simply due to cost. I don't want to lose a months salary when they go missing :)

If anything, the most important feature for me would be a non-fatiguing IEM, as I use them for a few hours at a time.
Suggestions appreciated !

I think you would be surprised how affordable custom molds can be. IMO a custom mold will also be the most comfortable route.

I hear you on the cost concern, but when I finally decided to take the plunge I contacted my local Westone dealer who helped me get a great price on some ES50 custom molds which I have been very pleased with. Was also a good excuse to visit the audiologist and get a hearing test while I was at it.

After getting my first set of customs I will never go back. I wear them whenever I get the chance--not just behind the monitor desk, but while playing drums, mowing the lawn, traveling, riding my bike trainer, casual listening, etc.

Only issue is I have finally worn out the cable from all the use. Channel dropouts as a result of mechanical stress when I move around, but that's why they make it replaceable.

There are several fantastic manufacturers out there. Call around and tell them your needs and I bet they'll help you find a "fitting" solution.  :D

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 11:08:25 AM »

I usually use SE315's as well, but they're often in and out of my ears, since it's rare that I'm mixing monitors for a band that's all ears. When I am mixing all ears, I have custom buds for that. They're more difficult to get in and out than the 315's, so I don't usually use them unless they'll be in for a while.

Some companies offer special pricing on their custom molds for certain people. It's worth a few calls to see if you can get what you need at a price you can handle.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Glen Kelley

• El Paso, TX
    • The University of Texas at El Paso
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 11:16:33 AM »

Just wondered what IEMs you are all using as monitor engineer?

Whatever your star artist is using.  8)

Phil_Michaels

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 11:46:35 AM »

Whatever your star artist is using.  8)

Would normally agree! But..

The show I am working on is a pretty complicated rock-y theatre show. I've got up to 7 singers on In ears (of a few different models). They are flipping between beta 58 handhelds and DPA headsets. I also have a couple of singers who don't like ears and use wedges and a dance company who need an overall wedge mix (from flown wedges)

All mix changes are done with preset snapshots.

There isn't really any issues with their mixes, it's just more for my own comfort, enjoyment and long term protection of hearing!

Glen Kelley

• El Paso, TX
    • The University of Texas at El Paso
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 05:20:15 PM »

There isn't really any issues with their mixes, it's just more for my own comfort, enjoyment and long term protection of hearing!

Ah, that makes sense! I last had Etymotic custom-molds fit with one of the Shure drivers, and the molds were very comfortable. I would wear them for hours at a time for both professional and recreational activities. (fantastic for long flights!) They did eventually harden and would not seal properly. I believe mine were also 300 series drivers, and I agree with your assessment -- fine at low volume, but not great at higher volume. No current experience, as I switched to GK Ultraphones, and quite honestly, have not done live sound stuff in years!

It's a bit off-topic, but I've always thought the Sensaphonics 3D Ambient system sounds like a great solution to eliminate the in&out of trying to work and talk to people while wearing in-ears, but dear lord, the price! Has anyone around here used that product?

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 06:19:38 PM »

I'm not a full time monitor engineer by any means.

But, I have a set of custom molded Westone ES30s. They were $850-ish as I remember. Bought the Westones because my audiologist already had an account set up with them, and I could use my FSA so I didn't have to pay out of pocket. I did have to do some leg work to get my audiologist hooked up with my GP and get a prescription from my GP for them, which he was more than willing to do.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 06:27:23 PM »

Even if you just get sleeves for the Shures, the Sensaphonics material is very soft and comfortable.  When I was on ears it was never uncomfortable.  And I tend to leave my ER19 plugs in all night.  When I had Westones, I was pulling them out every break to give my ears a break.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 01:53:04 AM »

I use alclair rsm quads.  Custom, so not what you want, but it's what I've got.  Longest I've worn them was Seattle to Hong Kong - longer than any gig!  Still quite tolerable at the end.

My recommendation, spend your hard earned $$ on something good then do whatever it takes to make sure they don't go missing.

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 06:36:12 AM »

When I started playing again, I was introduced to the 1964 Ears company. I bought a set of their Quad custom mold IEMs ($575) and I couldn't be happier. Customer service is fantastic.

The Quads that I bought are made for bassists and drummers and I find myself rolling off a little low-end because I don't need that much low-end. So for general mixing or monitoring, I suggest the 1964 Ears V6 Stage or the V8 models. They have an Adele model that is very high-end and expensive.

For a generic set of IEMs, I have a set of Whetstone UM30 triple-driver IEMs that sound really good, for generic IEMs. As long as you get a decent ear seal, they are fine. I keep a set as a spare,which I stared doing when I damaged the cable on the 1964s (who over-nighted me a new cable with no extra charge.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 06:36:12 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.