ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Identify this outlet please  (Read 10055 times)

Jon Ross

• Virginia
    • RoTech Sound
Re: Identify this outlet please
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 09:04:18 AM »

The clear cover is on the side you would have to cut the slot for your cable.

I checked on the Peavey distro that was mentioned, yeah that orientation is a problem. I think I may have to cut a slot for the cable.

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 09:05:47 AM »

Could someone please identify this outlet. It is affixed to an outdoor stage. A sound company had a distro hooked to it via camlocks; red, white, back and green. I'd like to use it on an upcoming gig at the same stage versus a generator. I have no idea what the amperage is and what type of connector to use....help!

Garry W

Gents,

Would this work? Given it's design, I'd want to hook up two amps to it, a Crown MA-5000i & MA-12000i, the stage has enough circuits around it to handle the other amps and backline. Yours thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-Y1450520S-Generator-Y-Adapter-Connectors/dp/B00BHGXYRC

Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

John Fruits

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 10:26:19 AM »

Gents,

Would this work? Given it's design, I'd want to hook up two amps to it, a Crown MA-5000i & MA-12000i, the stage has enough circuits around it to handle the other amps and backline. Yours thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-Y1450520S-Generator-Y-Adapter-Connectors/dp/B00BHGXYRC

NO! That adapter shouldn't even exist. Assuming that the Connector is actually wired to a 2 pole 50amp breaker there would be no over current protection for the 2 15 amp branches since they are not breakered locally. You have the potential to pull far more than any of the cable is cable of and poof melt down and hopefully only a small fire. The peavy distro or one made by amp shop motion labs or the like is the way to go.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 10:39:08 AM »

Gents,

No.  It shouldn't be allowed for RVs or generators, either.  It's a direct violation of the electrical Code.

There is NO OVERCURRENT PROTECTION DEVICE for the 15 amp outlets on the pigtails.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 11:01:15 AM »

No.  It shouldn't be allowed for RVs or generators, either.  It's a direct violation of the electrical Code.

There is NO OVERCURRENT PROTECTION DEVICE for the 15 amp outlets on the pigtails.

Noted, I was talking to another sound guy about it, he said the same thing. No over-current protection. It's off my idea list permanently.

I do own a spider box and the cable with the 50amp Cali twist lock connectors, which I built. He suggested I build another cable, Cali on one end and a straight 14-50 "dryer" plug the other end.

Garry

« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 11:06:33 AM by Garry Wilson »
Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV, A+
www.986sound.com

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 11:20:06 AM »

Noted, I was talking to another sound guy about it, he said the same thing. No over-current protection. It's off my idea list permanently.

I do own a spider box and the cable with the 50amp Cali twist lock connectors, which I built. He suggested I build another cable, Cali on one end and a straight 14-50 "dryer" plug the other end.

Garry

Except that a 14-50 is a "range" plug a dryer plug is only 30 amps.  Otherwise sounds like a good plan.
Steve Swaffer

Jim Turner

• Calgary, Alberta... Canada eh!
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 11:22:19 AM »

He suggested I build another cable, Cali on one end and a straight 14-50 "dryer" plug the other end.

You need a "stove" or "range" plug, correctly called a 14-50
A dryer plug is only rated for 30amps and has a different neutral pin. A dryer plug is a 14-30.

LOL... Stephen beat me to it
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 11:25:27 AM by Jim Turner »
smile & wave...

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 11:24:02 AM »

That's an interesting orientation of the receptacle. It also is an interesting installation being in a recessed box. How would someone actually fit a 90 degree wired 14-50 plug into that installation?  I'm not seeing 6/3+8/1 cord being flexible enough to fit in there, much less 4/4 SOOW fitting. Am I missing something?
Interesting was not what I said when I encountered an installation just like the one pictured. I had a stagehand run out a 6/4 right angle plug to a set up like this, it wouldn't make the bend. Fortunately, also had a 8/4 right angle that just barely would make the bend.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 11:25:48 AM »

Or just buy the proper connector, and swap it in place of your Cali-style one. It's cheaper that way. A few minutes with a screwdriver seems worth the cost of the additional cable, and you remove the extra connection from the chain.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 11:25:48 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 25 queries.