ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mix 1 on Ls9-32  (Read 4177 times)

Patrick Campbell

• Jury's Out Rock Band
Mix 1 on Ls9-32
« on: July 28, 2015, 11:20:24 AM »

Hey Guys and Gals,

I own an LS9-32 and don't mix too much as I perform and we use an engineer. When doing a fest by myself this weekend, I noticed that MIX one through a wedge sounded distant and not powerful like 2, 3,4,5 and 6. When I had a band with IEM, the mix one guy was saying his mix sounded out of phase.

Since I swapped wedges and the problem exists in THAT mix and is not wedge specific, is there a possibility that the phase on that output is "Clicked ON" putting it out of phase ???  I ask because the rig is trailered and I cannot get tot it now.

SO, the question is..........can an OMNI OUT/Monitor Send mix from an LS9 be out of phase causing it to sound that way ?

Any Yamaha user and Engineers please chime in

Thanks again everyone !

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Mix 1 on Ls9-32
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 12:26:30 PM »

SO, the question is..........can an OMNI OUT/Monitor Send mix from an LS9 be out of phase causing it to sound that way ?

Yes, the mix can be out of polarity, but no, it won't make it sound that way.

There are plenty of ways to make it sound that way, including a mic cable with pin 2 or 3 open, and several kinds of processing on the mix channel.

The first test would be to plug a different mix cable at the console into mix and see if the problem is still there. If it is the problem is somewhere in the console, if it's not the problem is in the wiring or electronics after the console output.

Mac

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 12:29:17 PM »

Hey Guys and Gals,

I own an LS9-32 and don't mix too much as I perform and we use an engineer. When doing a fest by myself this weekend, I noticed that MIX one through a wedge sounded distant and not powerful like 2, 3,4,5 and 6. When I had a band with IEM, the mix one guy was saying his mix sounded out of phase.

Since I swapped wedges and the problem exists in THAT mix and is not wedge specific, is there a possibility that the phase on that output is "Clicked ON" putting it out of phase ???  I ask because the rig is trailered and I cannot get tot it now.

Any Yamaha user and Engineers please chime in

Thanks again everyone !

No.  You have something else going in from the sources being fed to the mix 1 bus.  Simply flipping the polarity (not phase, phase is an AC phenomena that varies with frequency; polarity is a DC phenomena) on a mix output will not do what you describe.

Save the current scene/console files and do a factory reset of the console and listen again.  If mix 1 is "fixed" then the problem is certainly in your configuration or mix content.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Patrick Campbell

• Jury's Out Rock Band
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 02:53:59 PM »

Yes, the mix can be out of polarity, but no, it won't make it sound that way.

There are plenty of ways to make it sound that way, including a mic cable with pin 2 or 3 open, and several kinds of processing on the mix channel.

The first test would be to plug a different mix cable at the console into mix and see if the problem is still there. If it is the problem is somewhere in the console, if it's not the problem is in the wiring or electronics after the console output.

Mac

"There are plenty of ways to make it sound that way, including a mic cable with pin 2 or 3 open, and several kinds of processing on the mix channel."

Mac thanks I am gonna check my snake cable -  I may have a broken leg on the XLR 

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 03:08:28 PM »

Check to make sure all the Output levels are the same.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Patrick Campbell

• Jury's Out Rock Band
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 03:09:14 PM »

No.  You have something else going in from the sources being fed to the mix 1 bus.  Simply flipping the polarity (not phase, phase is an AC phenomena that varies with frequency; polarity is a DC phenomena) on a mix output will not do what you describe.

Save the current scene/console files and do a factory reset of the console and listen again.  If mix 1 is "fixed" then the problem is certainly in your configuration or mix content.

When I save the scene and then do a factory reset. will I loose all the scenes I have created after I do the reset ?  I have 57 saved for many different clubs and bands

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 04:52:59 PM »

When I save the scene and then do a factory reset. will I loose all the scenes I have created after I do the reset ?  I have 57 saved for many different clubs and bands

Save your files to a thumb drive so you can restore them.  If the reset fixes the mix 1 issue, restore your files one by one until the problem comes back.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 05:09:55 PM »

Mac thanks I am gonna check my snake cable -  I may have a broken leg on the XLR

The easy first test is to swap the XLR for mix 1 with the XLR for a different mix and see if the problem moves or not.

Mac

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 08:01:29 PM »

Have you listened to the mix through headphones straight from the board?

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 02:10:50 AM »

This mixer is pretty user configurable and if not set up and ran correctly can introduce issues. You can double route things, change levels and polarity in a couple locations and even send multiple sends from a single source back to a single point.

As an example, you could split an input into two or three inputs, and have each one run into a mix send in or out of polarity and pre or post EQ and with inserts. You could then have that mix have the polarity and time alignment changed or even be routed to a Matrix that is summing a mix that has other similar inputs sent to it. In other words you can introduce several problems at several points.

To put things simply...... The mixer is only susceptible to user error. I have never had a problem that I didn't create when using this mixer. Go through every input and send and it's send to the Omni to be sure that the signal being fed is only coming from the intended source. Also double check all the racks and be sure that they are all the same for each insert point. I will bet it is as simple as a setting somewhere that is not right. The easiest way to test is to load up a blank or zero preset. This has teh basic signal flow worked out and you could quickly test to see if the mix issue follows the mixer or the speaker.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 02:10:50 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 24 queries.