ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: How did they keep all those strings in tune?  (Read 6580 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: How did they keep all those strings in tune?
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2015, 03:31:24 AM »

In acoustic instruments, the body bracing is critical - probably more so than the neck. The bracing is where most of the magic happens. I suppose, technically, it's really the soundboard/bracing system.

Yup.  Always working with the trade off between durability and volume/sound quality. As a diehard acoustic player I am frequently amused at the hand wringing that my electric friends do regarding their instruments 'sound'. Try doing it all without any electrical interference.  Then try to recreate that sound through amplification. That my friends is the real trick.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 12:34:19 PM »

Yup.  Always working with the trade off between durability and volume/sound quality. As a diehard acoustic player I am frequently amused at the hand wringing that my electric friends do regarding their instruments 'sound'. Try doing it all without any electrical interference.  Then try to recreate that sound through amplification. That my friends is the real trick.

There is a reason most electric guitarists are, at best, mediocre acoustic guitar players who can't get a grip on controlling the tone of the acoustic instrument.  I'll leave it for others to discuss, though.

I've been privileged to work with wonderful acoustic musicians from bluegrass, folk and symphony backgrounds.  Almost every one of them has exquisite control over their instrument's voice.  It's amazing what practice and technique can do for motivated musicians.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2015, 01:29:59 PM »

There is a reason most electric guitarists are, at best, mediocre acoustic guitar players who can't get a grip on controlling the tone of the acoustic instrument.  I'll leave it for others to discuss, though.

Semi-acoustic.  Best (or worst) of both worlds!

Steve.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 01:55:10 PM »

I've been privileged to work with wonderful acoustic musicians from bluegrass, folk and symphony backgrounds.  Almost every one of them has exquisite control over their instrument's voice.  It's amazing what practice and technique can do for motivated musicians.
I'll bet every single one of them had a top-notch instrument that they knew VERY well.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2015, 02:41:22 PM »

I'll bet every single one of them had a top-notch instrument that they knew VERY well.

Some instruments were/are more humble that others, what was significant was the way each player could summon a variety of intonation by manipulating the playing technique.

For a violinist to go from "viol" to "fiddle" without changing anything about the instrument, for example, or guitarists that could go from "sweet and kind" to "aggressive and smells bad" (nudge, wink) without a significant difference in SPL - the changes occurred at the fingers (not the arm).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 03:15:17 PM »

.  It's amazing what practice and technique can do for motivated musicians.

Translation:

It keeps them from going to the bar before noon...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 04:33:50 PM »

Some instruments were/are more humble that others, what was significant was the way each player could summon a variety of intonation by manipulating the playing technique.
Technique trumps equipment every time. Of course, when technique isn't the limiting factor anymore, the proper equipment tends to make a significant difference.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 04:33:50 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.