ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you manage digital wireless devices?  (Read 8963 times)

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
Re: How do you manage digital wireless devices?
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 01:57:49 PM »

This is true.  However, an ap like inSSIDer and the ability to read the Line 6 owners manual and if the router is under your control learn to set its channel is all you really need .    understand there are 14 channels you can set the channel the mics are on and just make sure no two devices are on a channel-he same as any other frequency choice.

"Depending" on the strength of the router, I have had issues with the router interfering with the mics.  We currently use a 5 GHZ network to avoid that issue.
Well, it's not quite that easy, hence peoples' problems. You really need to think of this as a radio deployment, because that is exactly what it is. Learning best practices for radio deployment is critical if you want reliable WiFi communication.

I, too, use 5GHz radio (usually), although 5GHz usually doesn't have the "reach" of lower wavelengths (like 2.4GHz). There's no "do this and it works every time" procedure, because "it depends" on the situation.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Rich Grisier

• Erie, PA
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 10:56:18 AM »

If the router is placed in any close proximity to the L6 product it will not work well. I have pretty much given up on L6 because it is susceptible to WiFi traffic.

Are other digital wireless systems also susceptible to wireless problems or are the issues exclusive to L6?

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 11:21:42 AM »

Are other digital wireless systems also susceptible to wireless problems or are the issues exclusive to L6?
All radios are subject to radio issues - physics doesn't change because it's "digital". Specifically, in this situation, two 2.4GHz radios operated in close proximity interfere with each other. This is not a Line6 issue, it's a radio issue. If you follow radio best practices, WiFi and 2.4GHz wireless can work together. If you don't, they won't work well.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 01:02:53 PM »

Anything wireless can have interference. The Line6 wireless mics that operate in the 2.4 ghz range have to compete with any WIFI device that happens to be around.  There are a LOT more random WIFI devices that will appear at show time that could take an otherwise operational system and make it useless.

My experience with Line6 is that it does a good job of working in harsh environments, but at the same time, it stomps all over other wireless.  A line 6 mic can make your WIFI system all but useless.  The advantage of 2.4ghz devices is that the frequency band is available everywhere, but there is no guarantee that enough bandwidth is going to be available for your use.  By using other frequencies, you have to scan what's open in your area, then set your mic.  Chances of something else coming in and getting in the way are far less that way.
Brian Jojade

Rich Grisier

• Erie, PA
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 01:46:07 PM »

All radios are subject to radio issues - physics doesn't change because it's "digital". Specifically, in this situation, two 2.4GHz radios operated in close proximity interfere with each other. This is not a Line6 issue, it's a radio issue. If you follow radio best practices, WiFi and 2.4GHz wireless can work together. If you don't, they won't work well.

I get the radio aspect of interference.  Line6 does some stuff under the hood like frequency hopping (depending on which mode is selected, RF1 or RF2) to reduce the likelihood of dropouts, yet there are times when I still see dropouts (I run 3 XV-D70's).  I'm just wondering if other systems (Sure, AT, Sennheiser) do the digital wireless thing better.  Are any of the other manufacturers going to a different band... Why do they have to stay at Wifi cluttered 2.4GHz?... Why not go to the 2.6-2.7 band?

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 02:50:39 PM »

I get the radio aspect of interference.  Line6 does some stuff under the hood like frequency hopping (depending on which mode is selected, RF1 or RF2) to reduce the likelihood of dropouts, yet there are times when I still see dropouts (I run 3 XV-D70's).  I'm just wondering if other systems (Sure, AT, Sennheiser) do the digital wireless thing better.  Are any of the other manufacturers going to a different band... Why do they have to stay at Wifi cluttered 2.4GHz?... Why not go to the 2.6-2.7 band?
Only certain parts of the spectrum are even available for this type of use. In the USA, the FCC controls that. With only 3 radios, there's no reason you can't reliably operate within the (admittedly crowded) 2.4GHz band. I suggest you fire up your browser of choice and start searching. There's a ton of information available on the subject. Keep in mind that proper radio deployment is complicated, so be prepared to read a lot (and be ready to learn a lot). Once you think you've learned what you need, be prepared to learn more. This rabbit hole is a deep one.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 04:56:04 PM »

. . . Why do they have to stay at Wifi cluttered 2.4GHz?... Why not go to the 2.6-2.7 band?

From Line 6's perspective (as well as many other manufacturers), they want to design and build a single product that can meet worldwide certifications - 2.4GHz fits that requirement. This keeps manufacturing costs down and results in a product which performance and price point you find (found) favorable.

A different question to ask might be why did you choose a product in a congested RF spectrum band that is essentially uncontrollable if that was an important factor for you?

As far as 2.6-2.7GHz in the US is concerned, it is reserved for commercial and educational broadband services on the civilian side, and various space exploration activities on the federal side.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 08:57:27 PM »

I would guess I  am in a fairly busy rf environment and I can typically see a dozen 2.4 access points including two in the room itself and since the line 6 is very popular for wireless guitar I see them all the time, set up and run by the band members.

I can't think of a single time where we have signal problems from them.

I really have to wonder if the actual "problem" is as big as the concerns.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 09:23:31 PM »

My experience with Line6 is that it does a good job of working in harsh environments, but at the same time, it stomps all over other wireless.  A line 6 mic can make your WIFI system all but useless. 

Again, taking a little time to understand the two available RF  modes can greatly reduce having problems.

In RF1 mode, the Line6 transmitting method will greatly reduce the speed of a wi-if network... Especially if you are using more than four L6 units. But you have to remember that a L6 system in RF1 mode is transmitting on when the other brands would call 4 channels. So when you are running multiple systems you are quickly crowding the available space for wi-if to work. In RF1 mode L6 rarely is affected by wi-if unless you put the WI-if transmitter very close to the L6 receiver.

In Rf2 mode L6 systems transmit using 2 channels, so there is lots more space left empty for your wi-if to work. Also in RF2 mode the channels are co-ordinated to work with specific wi-if channels. So you can run eight L6 systems and one wi-if channel without either touching each other. The challenge here is that you must be able to control the wi-if in an environment and limit it to a single channel.
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 10:57:31 AM »

I'm guessing (hypothesizing, really) that the OP has the radios too close to each other, and/or has an otherwise poor deployment (not clear line-of-sight and/or frequency coordination issues). Otherwise, we'd hear a lot more complaints about this product - which seems to receive a lot of praise.

Disclaimer: I don't own any Line6 wireless, but not because I think there's anything inherently wrong with the design. That said, I've deployed a "metric crapload" of 2.4GHz radios through the years.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 10:57:31 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.