ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub Suggestion  (Read 21174 times)

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
Re: Sub Suggestion
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2015, 08:34:58 AM »

This is a bit unorthodox advice but i think in your case it will provide a suitable solution.
Build 4 triple 18s. Martin Audio has such customized box made for several big rental companies in Europe and it works great. It will give the height needed to lift the 850's. Now that wont be easy job but it is what it is.

Guy Graham

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2015, 09:57:22 AM »

This is a bit unorthodox advice but i think in your case it will provide a suitable solution.
Build 4 triple 18s. Martin Audio has such customized box made for several big rental companies in Europe and it works great. It will give the height needed to lift the 850's. Now that wont be easy job but it is what it is.

Do you mean the Synco WS318X Martin subs? Surely that box is no taller than a normal WS218, but is obviously much deeper to accommodate the third rear-firing 18" driver.

My recollection from when RG Jones sometimes used them on the Pyramid stage (post-2007, pre-MLA) was that they were arrayed upright, and didn't look as tall as the 3 high horizontal cardioid stacks of WS218X that were used in their place during other years in the Longbow era there.

I may well be wrong about the size ... however even so, how would the OP get the correct plans from Martin, even if they did have the required tools and other equipment to build what was to my understanding a specially-manufactured sub for a select group of European rental partners?

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2015, 06:49:20 PM »

Do you mean the Synco WS318X Martin subs? Surely that box is no taller than a normal WS218, but is obviously much deeper to accommodate the third rear-firing 18" driver.

My recollection from when RG Jones sometimes used them on the Pyramid stage (post-2007, pre-MLA) was that they were arrayed upright, and didn't look as tall as the 3 high horizontal cardioid stacks of WS218X that were used in their place during other years in the Longbow era there.

I may well be wrong about the size ... however even so, how would the OP get the correct plans from Martin, even if they did have the required tools and other equipment to build what was to my understanding a specially-manufactured sub for a select group of European rental partners?

Synco subs are same as 3xWS18 made in to one box. What i have suggested is to build something similar. Not copy it.

Guy Graham

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2015, 06:09:35 AM »

Thanks for the photo - I've never seen them close up.

Unless Martin made two types of custom triple 18" sub, I was clearly mistaken. I guess the person who told me about them just assumed a cardioid array of 3x18" boxes meant a single cardioid box, like d&b or Meyer make. I guess you can't see the sub array properly from the FOH tower at the Pyramid stage!

Whenever some production profile appears that mentions the WS318X, it seems to always be a cardioid broadside array. I hope I'm correct in assuming a "broadside" array is just a long centre cluster, with incremental delay applied from the middle outwards, to spread the bass wider than the width of the horizontal layout?

Out of interest - why did certain companies decide they wanted those huge custom triple 18" subs making? They look a lot harder to move around than regular double 18s!

Sent from my GT-I8160

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2015, 07:41:42 AM »

Thanks for the photo - I've never seen them close up.

Unless Martin made two types of custom triple 18" sub, I was clearly mistaken. I guess the person who told me about them just assumed a cardioid array of 3x18" boxes meant a single cardioid box, like d&b or Meyer make. I guess you can't see the sub array properly from the FOH tower at the Pyramid stage!

Whenever some production profile appears that mentions the WS318X, it seems to always be a cardioid broadside array. I hope I'm correct in assuming a "broadside" array is just a long centre cluster, with incremental delay applied from the middle outwards, to spread the bass wider than the width of the horizontal layout?

Out of interest - why did certain companies decide they wanted those huge custom triple 18" subs making? They look a lot harder to move around than regular double 18s!

Sent from my GT-I8160
With front loaded cabinets it is pretty much driver count.  So more drivers=louder sound.

So fewer larger boxes or more smaller boxes.

It really depends on the type/size shows you are doing.  In many cases moving a large cabinet is no big deal.  In other cases (up steps) it is a real hassle.

What works in the large arena side of things doesn't always work in the club gigs.

Also if you use 3x8ohm woofers, you can get a decent load for a lot of amps.

If you look at some of the "super amps" you will see that they are not rated for 2 ohms, but rather for around 2.5 or 2.7 ohms, which is equal to the 3x8 ohm drivers.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

David A. Pierce

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2016, 05:46:01 PM »

I have basically inherited 4 EAW KF850 tops.

I'm not interested in trying to be a sound provider full time, but I do gigs here and there, help out at festivals or smaller concerts. Could be anything from blues, jazz, rock, EDM, dubstep, DJs. Just looking to be fairly well rounded for whatever comes up.

I have access to a decent workshop. I used to work in a cabinet shop. So making a little sawdust doesn't scare me much.

Am I right in thinking that 4 lab subs would be appropriate to put under the 850s? Is there something else that I should be looking at?

Thanks!

-Kelly

Check out the subs at Pierce Audio Products Go to face book and ask Paul A. Pierce

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2016, 06:45:45 PM »

Check out the subs at Pierce Audio Products Go to face book and ask Paul A. Pierce

Are you connected with the company?
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

David A. Pierce

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2016, 02:17:43 PM »

Are you connected with the company?
I am not working for P.A.P. I am the proud father of Paul Pierce who is the founder/owner/operator of said company since 05.

Nick Enright

• Detroit, MI
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2016, 11:57:11 AM »

I am not working for P.A.P. I am the proud father of Paul Pierce who is the founder/owner/operator of said company since 05.

There's a very, very big difference between the drivers used in pro-sound or concert gear and the drivers that I see the webpage. I don't think this is the right forum for you to be promoting your son's products.
Nick Enright
Owner / Engineer
Lyve Productions
Detroit, MI

Kelly_Dodge

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2016, 01:37:07 PM »

I did end up making some Keystone subs. I have two built so far, and two more cut up and ready to assemble. I don't have a lot to compare them to, but when I cranked em up in the shop last weekend, they made lots of noise...  :)

Thanks for the recommendation.

-Kelly

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2016, 01:37:07 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.