ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paudio EL650 in EVT18 horn ??  (Read 4545 times)

Eugen Jeličić

Paudio EL650 in EVT18 horn ??
« on: May 30, 2016, 10:39:24 AM »

So i have been selling a pair of rcf event 6000 cabs for a few months and a few days ago one guy contacted me and offered a trade.

I have 4 EV T18 boxes that have previously been loaded with RCF L18S800 drivers. They used to work great but al four drivers got fried. Don't ask how.

So instead of just wanting to sell my event 6000 cabs i was interested in a trade for some 18's and money.

This guy offered me a few options.

The first option included 4 very old RCF L18 851 drivers. So not the 851KN versions, but the older L18 851.
It has a 1000w power handling and somewhat similar specs to my s800's. However they are about 15 years old. They are original, never repaired. But 15 years is a long time and who knows how much longer will they last.

So the second offer he gave me was 4 brand new PAUDIO challenger 18 EL650 drivers.
He is just about to put 4 fresh recone kits in them so they are basicaly brand new. But i don't know how good these drivers are and do they pair well with horn loaded boxes like the EV T18's i have?

My amps are old peecker sound 2x900w @4ohm. They give about 590w at 8ohms so i couldn't push the rcf 1KW drivers as hard as possible even if i wanted to.
The paudios seem to be a good option.

Do you have any opinions on these drivers and how would they work in a T18 box?

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Paudio EL650 in EVT18 horn ??
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 11:34:48 AM »

Do you have any opinions on these drivers and how would they work in a T18 box?

Apparently the driver to use in these boxes is the EV EVX180 so whatever driver you can get that is closest to that in spec. In all cases you have to accept the fact that this is a 50hz box and if you want to push any driver for all or even most of what it is worth then appropriate processing is not optional.

Eugen Jeličić

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 05:18:42 AM »

Yes but i'd like to know weather these 18's are good drivers and are they comparable to my old L18S800's. Specs say it would work well in a short hybrid horn like a T18. But that doesn't tell me if it's a decent driver or not.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 03:36:16 PM »

Yes but i'd like to know weather these 18's are good drivers and are they comparable to my old L18S800's. Specs say it would work well in a short hybrid horn like a T18. But that doesn't tell me if it's a decent driver or not.
Eugen,

"Decent" is a relative term.
Comparing the three drivers, the RCF L18S800 and the EVX 18B are similar in Xmax (6.8mm vs. 6.4), but the EV's Fs is 29 compared to 39 Hz, and the EV's VAS is more than double, 416L vs 206L.
The PAUDIO challenger 18 650EL is different from either, less Xmax (only 5.25mm) and less VAS (only 144L) and a high Fs (46 Hz).

The 650EL would probably "bang" OK in the T18, but if you want real bottom without lugging a ton of plywood around, look for cabinets with a lower Fb, and drivers with Fb similar and way more Xmax than these dinosaurs.

Art

Eugen Jeličić

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 05:17:15 AM »

So with the 650EL would make this box that can't do much under 40hz at all with any driver. Have even worse low end extension? Nope then.

The other option that i can get cheep is a few old RCF L18 851 drivers. Not the KN versions but the older 851. I'm going to try these out before buying. They work and they have not been repaired but they are very old.
I'm going to try getting some s800's. That would be the best option.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 08:11:49 AM »

So with the 650EL would make this box that can't do much under 40hz at all with any driver. Have even worse low end extension? Nope then.

People often look for the "magic driver" and then want to throw it in any box for great performance.

But they overlook how important the actual cabinet is in the overall performance.

Some designs are more picky than others, but simply sticking a "better" driver DOES NOT automatically mean you will get better performance.

In some cases it will get WORSE.

The best performance is one in which the driver and the cabinet are matched for each other.

And-as with humans, a good match is not just one or two things, but rather a number of different specs that all add up.

Sometimes you can get lucky-other times not so much.

Cabinets are "tuned" for a specific performance.  And this tuning means giving up other things.

It is a matter of compromise.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Eugen Jeličić

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 01:23:02 PM »

And that's exactly why i came here and asked. How would an EL650 go with the T18 box...

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 08:49:37 PM »

And that's exactly why i came here and asked. How would an EL650 go with the T18 box...

Compare the specs on the EL650 with the original driver. If they don't match up pretty well, it won't work well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 12:42:46 PM »

From some previous research I did, the 18Sound LW1400 is a pretty close match for the old EVM that came in the T18s.  But as mentioned, the T18 isn't going to go very deep no matter what you put in it.  It was meant to thump, not rattle.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 12:42:46 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.