ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub Box Build - Maybe B&C S18H Horn Loaded box  (Read 3960 times)

Tim Gurske

Sub Box Build - Maybe B&C S18H Horn Loaded box
« on: June 06, 2016, 02:17:27 AM »

I am building a sub box for a 60' w x 50' d x 18' h athletic training facility. I have about 250 square feet of baltic birch plywood and have lots of tools, so I think this should be a fun project. There are no size or weight restrictions.

I was looking at building the B&C S18H Horn Loaded box with the recommended 18" 18TBX100 driver.

Three questions:

1) Is there any reason that this type of box would not work well in this type of room? I have read that a front loaded design might be better for smaller indoor rooms.

2) If you could build a box and had a $100 to $300 budget for the driver, what would you build for this type of room/application?

3) How would the LAB box compare to the S18H?

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: Sub Box Build - Maybe B&C S18H Horn Loaded box
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 09:58:27 AM »

I am building a sub box for a 60' w x 50' d x 18' h athletic training facility. I have about 250 square feet of baltic birch plywood and have lots of tools, so I think this should be a fun project. There are no size or weight restrictions.

I was looking at building the B&C S18H Horn Loaded box with the recommended 18" 18TBX100 driver.

Three questions:

1) Is there any reason that this type of box would not work well in this type of room? I have read that a front loaded design might be better for smaller indoor rooms.

2) If you could build a box and had a $100 to $300 budget for the driver, what would you build for this type of room/application?

3) How would the LAB box compare to the S18H?
1) The additional upper directivity and sensitivity offered by a horn loaded cabinet would be an advantage over a front loaded design.
2) The box you suggest is OK if the low corner of around 43 Hz and the rising upper response fits your needs.
3) It is larger, goes lower, but the S18H would probably be a few dB louder in the upper range.

Tim Gurske

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 11:46:01 PM »

Thank you for your response. That answers my questions and also gives me some things to think about and consider. Thanks again!

Roland Clarke

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 05:20:37 AM »

If you have the time, woodworking skills and the tools it might be worth looking at a tapped horn.  Danley make one (the TH 118) which has far greater output than a double 18" using a single driver.  There are several Plans on the web.  Tapped horns use 1/4 wave design, similar to Transmission lines.  These can produce a lot of loud, low, undistorted bass, very efficiently.  Well designed I would consider them a much better option than a regular bass horn.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 05:20:37 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 26 queries.