ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternative to Gentner phone interface  (Read 16523 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Alternative to Gentner phone interface
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2015, 07:59:09 PM »

I use the Gentner Micro-Tel (similar to the JK "THAT-2") for getting audio in/out of a telephone circuit.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2015, 08:52:50 PM »

I didn't say I had a goal....just curious.
I don't have a particular need, at this time, but I find the options people are offering are quite interesting.
Mostly, I am able to get a POTS line but sometimes we need to send outbound audio to a conference bridge and only have access to in house "digital" (can't think of the correct word) phone systems.

I go back to my statement, a soft phone on a PC with a quality audio interface could make a call via a VoIP provider with a low loss CODEC and if you Internet connection is good quality will be well above any 2 wire hybrid device connected to a POTS line.

Disclaimer: My other vocation is CTO of a VoIP Carrier/Fiber Provider/Cloud Services firm
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 02:03:38 PM »

I go back to my statement, a soft phone on a PC with a quality audio interface could make a call via a VoIP provider with a low loss CODEC and if you Internet connection is good quality will be well above any 2 wire hybrid device connected to a POTS line.

Disclaimer: My other vocation is CTO of a VoIP Carrier/Fiber Provider/Cloud Services firm

Sorry to revive a somewhat old thread but...
I'm curious about the acoustic echo cancellation issue.  As has been said alreayd, with a VOIP system through computer you have the 4 wire (separate in and out) for free but what about the quality (or perhaps suitability is a better term) of the echo cancellation with various VOIP systems?  I have to assume that echo cancellation for a laptop with built-in speakers and mics is a different animal compared to a panel of lav mics and a full PA system.  In particular, aren't the algorithms tuned somewhat based on latency? 
Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2015, 02:56:53 PM »

Going back to the basis of this thread, the original idea was how to get telephony sound without using a Gentner or other expensive interface. While the interfaces do the job very well, some are confusing to set up and others simply too wiz bang for what most are trying to do. If your going to send video with audio Citrix, Skype and a few others are the best way to go. Shoot, if your going to go that route you could even simply run multiple live instances of Ustream.

A way of doing audio only, would be a VoIP converter as I mentioned earlier. For cancellations I think it depends on user setup. You could invert the polarity of one side of the audio conversation and that might do most of the work for you. I think that most converters are going to work the cancellations out for you already though. Not to mention that if you designed and deployed the PA well, there will be minimal issues from loop back anyway.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2015, 02:56:53 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.