ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternative to Gentner phone interface  (Read 16622 times)

(Brian) Frost

Alternative to Gentner phone interface
« on: July 14, 2015, 04:50:55 PM »

I do a lot of conference calls using a Gentner connected to a sound system for big corporate meetings that take place around the world.  With the limited bandwidth of the phone system I wonder whether anyone has tried using an interface and their laptop to make a higher resolution phone call via skype or google voice instead of the gentner.  I feel like the phone system is the weak link and everywhere we can remove it from the chain would help.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Alternative to Gentner phone interface
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 04:57:49 PM »

Relying on internet bandwidth/connectivity is a slippery slope, I think.  There's still something to be said for point-to-point copper...cell phones notwithstanding.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 05:16:31 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 04:59:45 PM »

I do a lot of conference calls using a Gentner connected to a sound system for big corporate meetings that take place around the world.  With the limited bandwidth of the phone system I wonder whether anyone has tried using an interface and their laptop to make a higher resolution phone call via skype or google voice instead of the gentner.  I feel like the phone system is the weak link and everywhere we can remove it from the chain would help.

Most 3rd world phone lines sound better than anything I've gotten off of Skype.  Some of it is downright horrible.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

(Brian) Frost

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 05:39:52 PM »

Most 3rd world phone lines sound better than anything I've gotten off of Skype.  Some of it is downright horrible.

Agree skype is often bad, but my google voice calls sound far better than the 3000hz bandwidth limited phone calls i get from ma bell.  I do see the point in their reliability, and thats why I brought up the topic to discuss. 

keep em comin.

David Buckley

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 05:52:31 PM »

I feel like the phone system is the weak link and everywhere we can remove it from the chain would help.
You are correct, it is, but you wont get better results by switching to Skype or other consumer grade solutions.  Or, at least, not today.  With VoIP one can have "HD Voice" or "Wideband voice" and these system do deliver much better audio quality.

If you have the money to spend, if if you've got a Gentner then you probably do :) then a VoIP solution like this will enable you to have high quality audio.  There are other products, a google for hd voice should get you started.

(Brian) Frost

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 05:56:44 PM »

You are correct, it is, but you wont get better results by switching to Skype or other consumer grade solutions.  Or, at least, not today.  With VoIP one can have "HD Voice" or "Wideband voice" and these system do deliver much better audio quality.

If you have the money to spend, if if you've got a Gentner then you probably do :) then a VoIP solution like this will enable you to have high quality audio.  There are other products, a google for hd voice should get you started.

Thank you, thats the kind of information Im looking for.  I'd note that facetime audio for iphone is HD voice tho i find it unreliable. 

My gentner is paid for but when the time comes to upgrade Ill look into the comrex voip solution.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 01:26:54 AM »

As far as I'm concerned the Gentner phone systems are dead.......... So many other ways to do the same thing for less $ and just as good as performance. The difference is that the " other ways " are not always in a box with a name on it.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

(Brian) Frost

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 01:42:36 AM »

As far as I'm concerned the Gentner phone systems are dead.......... So many other ways to do the same thing for less $ and just as good as performance. The difference is that the " other ways " are not always in a box with a name on it.

Can you be specific, thats what interested in tho would like to hear whats worked and what hasnt so Im not starting this from scratch.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 11:46:57 AM »

Can you be specific, thats what interested in tho would like to hear whats worked and what hasnt so Im not starting this from scratch.

The JK stuff is pretty good, but as far as I am concerned the only telephone interface I want to see is a Telos One. I have never like the Gentners due to their lack of easy to use level controls and level monitoring. There are more modern interfaces, but I really like the UI of the Telos. I have 4 of them on the job I'm headed out to this afternoon.

Mac

David Buckley

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 04:48:19 PM »

Telos and Genter and JK, although their kit ostensibly does the same thing, and they all make good kit, their products are all aimed at different marketplaces, and thus have different strengths and weaknesses.

It is my current opinion that for VoIP, Comrex have the edge on Telos: better kit, better interface, and better value for money, though I would certainly not turn down a Telos!  Its not for no reason that Telos haven't had the radio studio market to themselves for yonks.

The point I forgot to make in my original posting was:  The nice thing about VoIP is that it is natively "four wire", so it will always work better than hybrid based boxes, which have to undertake black magic  to convert a two wire POTS line to a four wire audio interface.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 04:48:19 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.