ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Music licensing  (Read 9069 times)

Gerry Seymour

• My Professional Website
Music licensing
« on: July 03, 2015, 05:46:10 PM »

I'm going to be doing audio for some smallish events (50-200 ppl). Mostly just support for presenters with a basic SOS setup. I want to bring in the warm-up music, and handle the licensing on my end (many of the event organizers are not experienced at this, so I want to handle it, as a service to them). Has anyone done this?

(Note: I understand the process with both BMI and ASCAP. My concern is that the process appears to be set up only for the "event organizer" to get the license, rather than the audio vendor.)
Gerry Seymour

Professional Trainer and Speaker
(with lighting/audio experience)

anything that moves will eventually die

anything that doesn't move is probably already dead - James Feenstra

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Music licensing
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 09:29:14 PM »

I'm going to be doing audio for some smallish events (50-200 ppl). Mostly just support for presenters with a basic SOS setup. I want to bring in the warm-up music, and handle the licensing on my end (many of the event organizers are not experienced at this, so I want to handle it, as a service to them). Has anyone done this?

(Note: I understand the process with both BMI and ASCAP. My concern is that the process appears to be set up only for the "event organizer" to get the license, rather than the audio vendor.)

Do a search, the topic comes up regularly.  In a nutshell its up to the VENUE to secure the compulsory licenses from BMI/ASCAP, not you or the organizer.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Gerry Seymour

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 05:39:50 AM »

Both BMI and ASCAP are clear on this on their sites. The venue's license does not cover the event. Licensing is the responsibility of the event organizer. I am trying to find a way to handle it, since most of these organizers won't think of it, and I can save them the trouble.

I'll search the forums when I get back to my PC, to see what has already been discussed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gerry Seymour

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 11:04:51 AM »

Both BMI and ASCAP are clear on this on their sites. The venue's license does not cover the event. Licensing is the responsibility of the event organizer. I am trying to find a way to handle it, since most of these organizers won't think of it, and I can save them the trouble.

I'll search the forums when I get back to my PC, to see what has already been discussed.

So determine the list of music you want to use. Contact BMI/ASCAP. Explain to them your situation, and ask them to tell you what you need to do to fit your needs. They *want* to get your money, so it's in their best interests to help you figure out what you need to do! :)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 11:47:09 AM »

Is there something odd or different about your event or the venues?  Events in almost every publicly-available hotel ballroom, event center, theater, arena, etc are (or should be) covered by a Compulsory License.  The purpose and nature of the Compulsory License is that it covers the use of compositions covered by that agency within the venue.  The CL does not cover streaming, recording, use with video/motion pictures, or distribution of the compositions outside the venue or for any other uses.  The CL doesn't cover the use of applicable material in your seminar recordings, for example, or if your client is web-casting to off-site offices or other venues.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 11:56:09 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Gerry Seymour

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 02:57:34 PM »

According to both ASCAP and BMI websites, leased/rented areas of hotels and other venues are explicitly not covered (nor coverable) by the venue's license. That is the only information I have at this point. It seems unequivocal, but maybe I need to ask an attorney if others are being told differently.

Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 02:59:32 PM »

So determine the list of music you want to use. Contact BMI/ASCAP. Explain to them your situation, and ask them to tell you what you need to do to fit your needs. They *want* to get your money, so it's in their best interests to help you figure out what you need to do! :)

-Ray

I have. My experience dealing with them in the past is that they can be very slow to respond, and sometimes fail to respond to what was actually asked. Just thought I'd check to see if anyone here has experience on this point.

Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 12:33:46 PM »

Do a search, the topic comes up regularly.  In a nutshell its up to the VENUE to secure the compulsory licenses from BMI/ASCAP, not you or the organizer.

I'm coming back to this to clarify how I understand the requirements. If you're talking about support to a band or working as a DJ, then the venue is (as I read it) responsible. This is not true for meetings, seminars, conferences, etc. where an organizer is leasing the space.

A search (admittedly didn't spend hours on it) turned up only a few items. The first one I came to did mention the "compulsory license" and the venue's responsibility (http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,137441.msg1281229.html#msg1281229). I believe this is still accurate (posted in 2012) when you're talking abut audio support the venue is paying for (band in a bar, DJ in a club, etc.). It seems clear from some of my research that it's different when someone leases the space and provides music (whether it's walk-up, warm-up, background, primary entertainment, or whatever).

Here is a link to the pertinent info on BMI's site:
http://www.bmi.com/licensing/entry/533018?q=Meetings%2C+Conventions%2C+and+Trade+Show+Presenter
(I can't seem to locate the information I read from ASCAP - it may be in a PDF somewhere.)

This difference may explain the two different understandings. Conferences and meetings are different (in licensing terms) from hired audio for the benefit of the venue.
Gerry Seymour

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 02:28:19 PM »

A quick glance makes me think things have changed.  It's been "several" years since I was involved with compulsory licensing, and back then BMI was getting into more gradations of use, i.e. multiple TVs, inclusion/exclusion of DJs or live music.  I think it was aimed at sports bars, but yeah, it looks like they've continued down that road.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 10:28:29 PM »

Does the same licensing apply in a not-for-profit situation?

Situation is a fundraiser supper ("donations accepted"-no set fee).  Venue is city central park/bandstand that is available for use at no charge-so we are technically not renting the space.   Music would be background/filler-or maybe just warm up as we do have some live music lined up.

It is a political event-hopefully that doesn't disqualify my question!  We are making every effort to be ethically correct in any case.
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 10:28:29 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.