ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FOH Insert point sort of works...  (Read 1665 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
FOH Insert point sort of works...
« on: July 03, 2015, 05:15:40 PM »

I have a night off... and I still can't get away from something audio related.

Board:  Allen & Heath GL2400

The Left FOH insert connection sort of works.  If the insert cable is all the way in (i.e.like it was designed), the insert doesn't work.  However, if I pull the insert cable out about 1/32 or 1/64th of an inch, the insert point works.  Tested this with three different insert cables.  Problem appears to be the FOH insert.  "Right" FOH works as designed.

Any thoughts/ideas on what would cause this?  How about correcting this issue?

I don't mind opening up electronic devices, as long as I know what I'm looking for!

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: FOH Insert point sort of works...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 05:33:22 PM »

The only think I've seen similar to that was a vertical PC mount insert jack that had a PC trace running right beneath the middle of the jack. Plug in a 1/4" plug with oversize tip and it shorted out the trace.  BUT that was a rare obscure fault.

If you are not afraid to get down and dirty, look at the switch contacts on the jack. The insert jack usually has a shorting switch contact from tip to ring. If the switch is not staying open when jack is fully plugged in the, tip ring may be shorting to outputs together.  >:(

You may be able to correct it with needle nose pliers, but as long as you have it apart, replacing the jack isn't crazy (or both insert jacks).

JR 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 05:54:14 PM »

Thanks John.  The insert cables I'm using are a "standard" size.  Looks like I'll open it up and see what I can do.

Bob 

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 06:40:38 AM »

Bob...

Have you tried cleaning the insert jacks with DeOxit?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 07:52:47 AM »

Bob...

Have you tried cleaning the insert jacks with DeOxit?
Have not tried DeOxit. 

None of the other inserts (channels, sub-groups, FOH) are experiencing the issue.  Also, there's never been the "scratchy" sound from that insert (or any of the other inserts).  I exercised the insert point, hoping for a scratchy noise (which never occurred).  Which has led me to think it's something else.

However, I rarely have issues with my equipment, so there's a good chance I'm ignorant to common symptoms of problems! 

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 08:04:37 AM »

My guess would be that the socket's tip contact has been deformed slightly.  With no plug inserted, this will have to touch another contact point to allow the signal to pass through.  As you push in the plug, this contact moves away.  Just before the plug is fully inserted, it will be pushed away the furthest, moving back slightly as the bulge of the plug's tip passes.

I think that in the fully inserted position, the tip and ring connections are still connected allowing the signal to pass through with the contact only breaking when the plug is out slightly.

If the inserted device is receiving signal when in the fully in position, this would confirm it (I think).

Steve.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 11:22:09 AM »

Yup it could be a slightly undersized tip on the 1/4" plug.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 05:57:01 PM »

Thanks.

Took a look (again) inside the insert (from outside the board).  The tip contact point was noticeably "higher' than the other insert (and other phono) connections.  I made a tool with a small 90 degree end on it.  Placed it inside the insert and pulled the contact point down to sort of match the other inserts. 

I think this will work.  Tested the connection - when I push the insert cable in with force enough to move the console, it stops passing a signal, but when the insert cable is pushed in "enough", it passes a signal; and the audio doesn't break-up when I move the cable back/forth & sideways.  It's working much better than it did before.

The board was purchased used from a church install and they may have used the insert.  And as church installs go, they don't do much patching and reconfiguration once it's setup.

Thanks for the advice / direction on this!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 05:57:01 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 26 queries.